Grease coming from front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 100 Series Cruiser with 295k, and just upgraded with OME suspension this year started doing some of my own work on it. I re-greased and repacked the front hubs for the first time a few weeks ago and just noticed some grease squeezing out of this spot on the axle on both sides. My gut is telling me I just packed a bit too much grease in the hubs and its just squeezing out, but what do you guys think?

(Also I'm pretty sure there's a slow leak that you can see in the brake line on passenger side, but its not really affecting the brake fluid level as far as I can tell.)

LandCruiser Grease.jpg
IMG_8425.PNG

Inner CV joint boot is leaking. Check for tears/holes. If none found, then cut the clamps off and replace with smoothband worm-drive clamps from McMaster-Carr. If tear/hole in boot found, then replace boots or rebuild axles or buy new axles.

You might not have tightened the clamps enough or lined up the boot on the grooves of the axle. Clean, re-tighten, check back.

When you lubed up your hubs, did you undo your snap ring and push your axle inwards? Did you have grease flung everywhere when you removed the hubs? Did you rest the brake caliper on the CV boot?

Thats not bearing grease you see, you simply are a victim of the infamous cv boot leak after a lift. Your boots have been in the same spot for 20 years and you recently changed their angle and now the cv grease is leaking out under the boot clamp (you can see it in the photo).

If it just started leaking, and if the boots arent cracked/torn, you can simply cut those bands off and use the PFRAN band 100-Series CV Axle Clamp Kit — CRUISER GARAGE - https://www.cruiser-garage.com/products/cv-axle-clamps

My recommendation would be to cut the bands, pull the boots back and regrease before Pfran clamps.

Thats not bearing grease you see, you simply are a victim of the infamous cv boot leak after a lift. Your boots have been in the same spot for 20 years and you recently changed their angle and now the cv grease is leaking out under the boot clamp (you can see it in the photo).

If it just started leaking, and if the boots arent cracked/torn, you can simply cut those bands off and use the PFRAN band 100-Series CV Axle Clamp Kit — CRUISER GARAGE - https://www.cruiser-garage.com/products/cv-axle-clamps

My recommendation would be to cut the bands, pull the boots back and regrease before Pfran clamps.
Likely to get burned by PFRAN. Just order directly from McMaster-Carr and cut him out.

When you lubed up your hubs, did you undo your snap ring and push your axle inwards? Did you have grease flung everywhere when you removed the hubs? Did you rest the brake caliper on the CV boot?
When I did the work on the hubs, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I hung the brake calibers with a bungie so I don't think I damaged specifically there. I'll probably get those clamps and throw them on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom