Grease and Service Your Driveshafts!

Just a shout-out to the folks who have posted stuff to the driveshaft FAQ, and a note to the folks who have driveshaft maintenance on their to-do list.

I was feeling some vibration at highway speeds and kept putting off the driveshaft maintenance. I kept convincing myself it's an old truck, I should be happy it's still running. Well, I finally got around to replacing the u-joints in my driveshafts and having them balanced. What a difference, wow! No more vibration at highway speed, no more shift clunk, and it even took care of some rotational noise that I thought was coming from birf/knuckle area when coming to a stop (since it was the first time I did that knuckle job last year). Drives real smooth and way quieter.

So if you're putting it off, just do it already! Plenty of info in the FAQ. I didn't feel like doing the U-joint replacement myself so I unbolted them and spent $240 for cleaning, U-joint install, balancing, and painting on both the shafts. It's about a 1 banana job if you read up on the FAQ, maybe 1.5-2 bananas if you install the u-joints yourself.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
Can't get mine to wear out.

Can't get mine to wear out.

I ordered new OEM ones and plan to grease them regularly. Hoping they last a long time also.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Just cleaned mine, really important if you are running a DC shaft and the rig sees dirt, mud, etc.

I do recommend new hardware (nuts/bolts/washers) as well, maybe not every time, but at least every other. They are exposed to plenty of grease and grime.

Joey @NLXTACY sells an OEM pkg for both front and back, I usually keep a set on hand in the trail kit.

Just cleaned mine, really important if you are running a DC shaft and the rig sees dirt, mud, etc.

I do recommend new hardware (nuts/bolts/washers) as well, maybe not every time, but at least every other. They are exposed to plenty of grease and grime.

Joey @NLXTACY sells an OEM pkg for both front and back, I usually keep a set on hand in the trail kit.
Yeah I got my new hardware from him, only took a couple days. Good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom