Grayish tint inside the oil cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I asked a freind to check the 93 FZJ80 with 112K on it.
There was one thing that puzzles me and my friend. When he
removed the oil cap and looked inside at the top of it,
it had a grayish tint inside it. He took his finger and under a thin layer of oil appeared to be a thin layer of white grease. The truck has 112K on it.
Is it normal or is it a bad sign of head gasket going or ??????

Thanks,
Alex
89 FJ62
85 BJ70

Todd,

Why the short trips can cause such condensation? I have a 90 Camry with about 115 and for the last 3 years it's 100% short trips, but the oil cap is perfect.
Also you said, that is bad. How bad, do you think this truck might have a problem with headgasket or?????
I am still trying to get the correct VIN# and run the CarFax.

Thanks,
Alex

That kind of mileage on a 93, I suspect you just have normal condensation on the oil cap. It comes from not getting the engine hot enough every trip.
Different engines build up that stuff differently. The Camry has a much smaller engine that gets warm faster. It may also have a more efficient PCV system.
Nothing to worry about.

When I said it was bad, I meant it depends how the guy drove it. If he drove it 20 miles per trip back and forth to work every day, then he should not have condensation in the cap and it might be worth looking at.

How's the oil? If it's black, that's good. If it looks like chocolate milk, that's really bad. If it's really clean, that's suspicious.

Todd,

The question is, Is it possible to get rid of this condensation 100% or not? Did it cause some damage to the valve train and shorten the engine life some. I remenber that I had a 1994 with 148K and it was running like a 50K truck, I used only Mobil oil.

Thanks,
Alex

Chang the oil, change the oil.
You can change the oil and that should get the condensation out.
Get on the interstate and do 70+mph. That should get the oil hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom