Grant Steering Install (?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC_Hamma

The Anti-Leafer
Threads
Tryin to figure out, from the generic directions, if these parts fits together like this. I tried searching & no pics. I bought it from Specter & it supposedly fits a '73 FJ40. If it bolts together like this, I don't have enough thread exposure on my steering column to put my washer/ lockwasher/ nut. Thanks for any help & pics would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Both non-stock wheels I have seen had an aluminum adapter that bolted to the column with the stock nut/washer. Then the pieces in your picture bolted to the top of that with 3 bolts... But both of mine were on later Cruisers.

A solution I had to use on my FJ60 (after I found the threads busted off the column) was to drill and tap the column for a 1/4-20 thread. Then I used a cap screw and washer to hold the wheel to the taper and splines on the column.

HTH,
Nick

zebrabeefj40 said:
Both non-stock wheels I have seen had an aluminum adapter that bolted to the column with the stock nut/washer. Then the pieces in your picture bolted to the top of that with 3 bolts... But both of mine were on later Cruisers.

A solution I had to use on my FJ60 (after I found the threads busted off the column) was to drill and tap the column for a 1/4-20 thread. Then I used a cap screw and washer to hold the wheel to the taper and splines on the column.

HTH,
Nick

The alum adaptor is already mounted on the column. Along with the 3 screws, do you think 1/4" 20 is a large enough dia. to secure your steering wheel to the column? I assume the steering shaft is regular mild steel? Thanks Nick, this does help!

I use that setup on both my 1973 FJ40 and 1975 fj55 with no problems. Dido on the aluminum part with 3 bolts.

LC_Hamma said:
The alum adaptor is already mounted on the column. Along with the 3 screws, do you think 1/4" 20 is a large enough dia. to secure your steering wheel to the column? I assume the steering shaft is regular mild steel? Thanks Nick, this does help!
All you're trying to do is keep the wheel from jumping off the tapered splines. The taper does most of the work keeping the steering wheel on. A 1/4-20 screw is the most I was willing to put in the shaft. I did not want to drill too big a hole and weaken the steering shaft. Heck, there was NOTHING but the taper holding the steering wheel to the column of my 60 for at least 2-3 months. I figured out what the PO was trying to tell me when I went to swap the stock wheel back on (he told me he broke it but I didn't quite understand what he was talking about...). I'm willing to use a 1/4-20 screw to hold the steering wheel down on the splines in my truck. Whether you do or not is your choice... :D

Nick

I was a little unsure about drilling & tapping my steering column & wondered why that wasn't mentioned in the directions (?) So, I called up the SOR tech line to confirm this idea. He said they (SOR) buys a kit that is universal to many vehicles, not just FJ40's. I explained my situation & he said I should have some leftover parts. It all bolts up, but I couldn't use a lockwasher on the steering column, so I Locktited it. FYI, Here are the parts I didn't use:

Last edited:
Does the Horm button on your Grant wheel work? The PO installed a wacky extra button on my steering column, and I haven't ever messed with it.

How hard was the horn to hook up?

Thanks

Rocky

Rocky_LC said:
Does the Horm button on your Grant wheel work? The PO installed a wacky extra button on my steering column, and I haven't ever messed with it.

How hard was the horn to hook up?

Thanks

Rocky

Well, I already assembled it or I'd show you a pic. It's a no-brainer. The horn is one black wire, hooked from the center connector on the back of the button, extending to the alum splined adaptor.

LC_Hamma said:
I was a little unsure about drilling & tapping my steering column & wondered why that wasn't mentioned in the directions (?)
Just to clarify: I HAD to drill and tap my column because the PO busted the threaded section clean off. :doh: I DID NOT have to drill and tap because an adapter was too long. Drilling and tapping are not standard operating preceedures when installing an aftermarket steering wheel. I merely offered it up as an option to solve your issue. :D

HTH,
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom