Grand Junction Memorial Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on going to Grand Junction for Memorial Weekend to run 21 Road and maybe Billings. Anyone want to join in?

Come over to Montrose and run some of the trails there, there is always a few rigs there for memorial day madness

while in Grand Junction, check out Cabela's new store

And if you needed another reason to go to Western Colorado, remember, Cabela's opened a new retail store in Grand Junction located at Mesa Mall, May 20th.

My trusty FJ40 is in Grand Junction just waiting to go somewhere, but as it looks now I'll be in SLC and Bishop, CA over the weekend. Bummer!!!

Darryl
FJ40L - "stock"
ars N7EBS

Hey sorry chuck I forgot you had this thread. Is that billing canyon in mesa county. If so I think its a little out of my league. maybe in six years or so I'll be ready for that one.

21 Road - May 29, 2010

Chuck and I ran 21 Road yesterday. Had a great time. We each had the privilege of using the stap, once to get the other of a rock. The day was beautiful and the trail had its many challenges as it always does. We made it up the rock shelf, just past what we used to call the rock garden, where we had lunch. Chuck and I walked up from there to see how doable the trail was, and it looked like the real obstacles were on up there. While Chuck's FJ60 is more than capable, my FJ40 was about limited out at that point. While there, a couple of highly modified Bronco's came up, and they said it was about another 2 miles on up to the top from there, and yes they said it is very challenging. On our way back down, I had a large boulder jump out and take a bite out on my drivers door, and other than that and knocking some rust out of the rt rear quarter panel, hard to tell much, if any difference. I will post some pics as I'm able here from Grand Junction, as I have a poor inet connection.

It was a good day, and a good run.

Darryl
FJ40L "stock"
TLCA3911
ars N7EBS

21Road May 29, 2010

A few pictures...
21road-1.jpg
21road-2.jpg
21road-3.jpg

pictires...

more of 21 Road...
21road-4.jpg
21road-5.jpg
21road-6.jpg

21 Road pics...

and a few more...

The last picture is looking up the trail as it continues. We had lunch and turned around. I know Chuck has some pictures too. Hopefully, I'll be at the next meeting and can show the entire set of pictures on the "big" screen.

Darryl
FJ40L - "stock"
TLCA 3911
ars N7EBS
21road-7.jpg
21road-8.jpg
21road-9.jpg

Looks like one crazy trail. Sounds like you guy's had a blast though, keep the pictures coming, my son likes pictures and videos.

I am not sure how many pictures I have but I will try to post some tomorrow.

My wife doesn't like the big bang sounds of heavy steel on rocks. I keep trying to tell her that that sound is fine, it's the sound of someone crushing a pop can that's bad.

We went to Colorado National Monument on Sunday. The girls earned a junior ranger badge while we were there. They are nine and have earned seven junior ranger badges so they have seen lots of national parks and monuments. Lots of plants in bloom this time of year in the Colorado National Monument so that was good.

Made it back home just fine. Pulling the 60 on a trailer behind the motorhome back and forth across the Colorado Rocky Mountains takes lots of horse power. The V10 in the motorhome could use another 100ph for the passes but it did just fine.

We had a couple of off chamber spots that made Linda screem so loud that I thought she was in my 60 instead of Darryl's 40. When Linda screemed it made Diana and the girls screem. They seemed to connected together like the smoke detectors in the house?

We used the new-to-us Ford motorhome. Its a 2000 model with a V10.

I don't think the 1978 Ford motorhome would have survived a trip like this pulling something like 7500 lbs behind it.

I don't have very many pictures of us wheeling since the kids had the camera but here is what I have.
100_1914.jpg
100_1918.jpg
100_1919.jpg

And some pictures that were taken on the trail.
100_1920.jpg
100_1930.jpg
100_1931.jpg

These are from Colorado National Monument.
100_2018.jpg
100_2022.jpg
100_1997.jpg

This is what the desert looks like during Memorial Weekend.
100_2008.jpg
100_2012.jpg
100_2013.jpg

This is what we looked like at the Colorado National Monument Memorial Weekend.
100_1946.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom