Grand Cherokee WJ vs LX470 high mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WTF! Yesterday it was Hundy vs minivan, today Hundy vs Jeep. Pardon me, while I go stick toothpicks in my pee hole.
We all cope with stress in different ways!

I have a friend with a wj that just cleared 200k. He really takes care of his vehicles. It has had a host of issues spring up recently and he is also on the same fence. It's a hard decision as the Jeep is probably worth $2k, and it needs about $1k in parts to keep it running another few years.

Despite the Jeep being 5 years newer than my 100, his first comment was how smooth, powerful, and solid the LC felt when driving it.

It's also 3-5 times the price of the WJ and still needs to be maintained.

WJs have problems but so do cruisers. A cursory look at this forum would tell you that basically the AHC is finicky and needs flushing and a complete review of the Paddo thesis, etc. You'd also find that there's a stickied thread about COMPLETE BRAKE FAILURE wherein the booster just craps out and you go careening down the road. Lastly, who can forget the catastrophic cooling failure you'll run into when your heater tees blow out?

Add to that the CVs and front end rebuild hassles, differential bushings, sway bar mounts rusting off because Mr. T decided to put the a/c drain right above it, the A arm torsion bar mounts cracking off, and then the pain of dealing with starter issues and frequent timing belt changes....

Electrical issues? Has anyone had their mark levinson amp fail? speakers need reconing? a/c lights blinking on the dash all the time? etc. Good luck replacing some of the relays because they're affixed to the distribution block. You can't even service some of the basic electrical componentry!

The cruiser drivetrain isn't particularly special. It has the same motor and trans as a sequoia, tundra, 4runner, etc. The transfer case is old tech, the front diff is pretty weak, and the rear axle isn't even a full floater like the 80 was.

well yeah

but

our seats are more comfy than Jeeps

Have the blend doors failed yet? Power seats? Windows? Seat heaters? Calipers? ;)

I had a 2001 Overland. Loved it... for month. It was ridiculous how many electrical failures that thing had. The WJ is why I'm a Toyota guy now. It was my last of many (!) Jeeps.

Comparing the WJ to a Land Cruiser isn't even apples and oranges - it's like eggshells and anvils.

The only part I can say for sure - is dump the WJ. Maybe the 100 isn't the next purchase (based on budget) - maybe it's a 4Runner or Tacoma... but dump the WJ.
Haha I'd have to check off all of the boxes except for the heated seats 'cause mine does not have em. 😂
Honestly I enjoy this thing and get comments on how comfy it is. Heck i wouldn't even trade it for a Wrangler or 4runner. (I have a solid axle, so I would debate my WJ is more capable offroad than a taco or Runner and I've gone places where most wrangler drivers are too afraid to go.)
On the other hand, I am always jealous when I see a Cruiser pass by. Even the 100 with its IFS. And the fact that I could fit 33's on it without a lift.
Now, nobody has mentioned offroad capability comparisons. How is the A Trac or LSD? Anybody ever get showed up or miss their WJ off road?

shove them in sideways. this "tech" forum is circling the drain.

+1 ... We have a chit chat forum for a reason. I miss the days of arguing tech with my comrades. then the vendors using the tech forum as their advertising grounds realized they could "block" anyone that showed a negative opinion.

+1 ... We have a chit chat forum for a reason. I miss the days of arguing tech with my comrades. then the vendors using the tech forum as their advertising grounds realized they could "block" anyone that showed a negative opinion.
Facebook killed ih8mud

Facebook killed ih8mud
Just like how yall are killing this thread? ;) Still hoping to get some input on an off-road comparison. Keep in mind my WJ has a center locking diff and a Spartan in the rear, but I don't know how the Land Cruiser's A-Trac System and center locker compare.

Just like how yall are killing this thread? ;) Still hoping to get some input on an off-road comparison. Keep in mind my WJ has a center locking diff and a Spartan in the rear, but I don't know how the Land Cruiser's A-Trac System and center locker compare.

The A-trac is pretty amazing for reasonable offroad stuff to be fair. That said, some of our cruisers (pre-facelift) have rear lockers, and it's not a big deal to install ARB front lockers as well. But in my point of view the cruiser is more of an overlander dual purpose vehicle than a trialing - rock crawler one.

Changing of the guard i guess

The A-trac is pretty amazing for reasonable offroad stuff to be fair. That said, some of our cruisers (pre-facelift) have rear lockers, and it's not a big deal to install ARB front lockers as well. But in my point of view the cruiser is more of an overlander dual purpose vehicle than a trialing - rock crawler one.
idk, 100’s can be seen completing the rubicon these days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom