gps software (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sandcruiser

....back in the saddle again....
Threads
Anyone know of a good way to scan a map and assign coordinates to it such that I can plot points on the map?

And, no, CityMaps and such won't work. They haven't yet released a "Coastal Northwestern Costa Rica" mapset of which I'm aware. :)

let me reiterate- What I'd like to do is scan a topo map, then be able to type in coordinates and have them show up on the map.

I'm pretty sure what you are asking for dosen't exist. There is lots of topo map software available on CD which will do what you want.

Try a basic GIS program. GRASS is free or used to be but not sure if it has this feature. I think OziExplorer does, Fugawi does also and ESRI ArcGIS and Idrisi do to.

Amazing that software exist to do that. I checked a couple of prices and it still seems cheaper to buy topos on CD than scan them in. Unless you use the GRASS product, GNU is great. Free stuff that usually works better then the stuff you pay for. :D

How about working with web based downloadable satellite (sp?) photos of the area one would be interested in? I know that google is releasing a whole earth archive of these photos and I think they will support lat/lon grids overlayed onto the photo. Not sure how one might import into the actual gps unit. More than likely you will need to go with laptop and gps unit.

I just "discovered" some info on my computer. Though it deals with USA, mods might be possible to allow for other areas:No affiliation here but I just discovered a sweet-ass GPS shareware program. The complete fullversion
can be downloaded from http://www.jdmcox.com and is called USAPhotomaps. The
software aquires 7.5 minute USGS seamless topo maps and aerieal photos for the entire USA for
free from terraserver. You simply list coordinates or an address and then hit a button and wait
while the software aquires the maps for a given area. The area can then be expanded by using the
cursor arrows to move the map page. Real-time GPS tracks will showup on top of the photo or
topo maps and tracks can be uploaded or downloaded to/from the GPS. Not as nice as Fugawi or
Oziexplorer but the price is right and this is actually a better program to aquire the topo maps or
photo maps. The maps could probably be used in Fugawi or Ozi by doing a screen capture with
four reference coordinates but I have yet to try this. Worth a quick download though.

The above came from: http://www.netaddress.com/tpl/Message/223GQSDZZ/Read

Oziexplorer and fugawi (sp?) both do this IIRC

if you want to upload them to a handheld unit like a Garmin or Magellen then nothing exists. If you want to keep the map on your laptop them OZIExplorer is what you want. You scan the map in the calibrate the map using points know on the map. go the the ozi website it explains it all

Fugawi does this as well from what I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom