GPS Savy anyone ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I am in alaska and use a Magellan Explorist 200 .. great little unit but not upgradable etc ...I was looking at the Garmin 76 series ..anyone have one ? I want something that has topo maps etc I can upload and download ... and memory

Not familiar with that model, but I have a Garmin Geko 201. It can interface w/my computer, store 500 waypoints, tracks , routes. It's smaller than most cell phones. I use it in conjuction with paper maps for hunting, backpacking and wheeling. The Geko series has 3 models and this is the mid-range one. :cheers:

Polish:

I have the 76CS unit and I quite like it. I run the base unit in my truck for short (2hr) road trips and connect it to my laptop for longer trips (just did 5,500km trip with it). The basi unit has a reasonable screen for around town (size wise) but it's nice to have the laptop for larger things.

I'm running their software (roads) on the unit as you can only download their proprietary maps onto the unit. IIRC, they also have proprietary topo maps - but you should check coverage for AK. As with all GPS units, you can run any topo maps on a laptop with the right software being driven by the GPS (eg using oziexplorer)

The compass and altimeter functions are helpful, but I basically got them as the unit has a good promo price at the time - I still trust my Silva Ranger for backcountry work!

Cheers, Hugh

It all kind of depends on what your after in your unit.

I orginally bought the GPSV for simple road navigation when i moved to So Cal and quickly found out that it didnt have enough memory to load maps for long trips. Other then that, it is one of the nicest units i have used,

I just purchased the 276C and am eagerly awaiting its arrival! :D

I went with the 276C because of the larger screen and because it has a memory card that can be upgraded to hold more info. Most units i researched dont allow memory upgrades. I also like the turn by turn directions and the ease of uploading and downloading to my PC.

I think the 276C is the best unit out there for what I want and need. But for instance, it is a fairly large unit and would be really hard to bring hiking or geocaching. I dont plan on taking it out of the rig, so its good for me. If you plan on doing hiking and such, you might want a lighter smaller unit.

There are SOOO many options and such out there it makes it hard, but i will tell you one thing, the Garmin Mapsource software is top notch and very easy to use!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have a megellan Road mate 300, I like it, it seems to work great!

I use an old Garmin II. For me, the number of waypoints is less important than the number of track points. My Garmin II has 750 and it's not enough. Some have as many as 10,000. Other features I can't live without is the ability to use a data cable for downloading data, the ability to use 12v, and a remote antenna. In fact, if it won't take a remote antenna, it's junk IMHO. For me it's a must have. Battery life is also important.

I just upgraded my garmin etrex vista with the new garmin 60cs, I chose the 60cs over the 76cs because of its smaller size it fits in my pocket better for hiking....garmin specs the 60cs and 76cs almost the same in size but when you look at them side by side the 60 is smaller. I also run mapsource usa topo 1:100,000scale and find it to be super detailed and easy to use. If your buying online check with www.gpsdiscount.com thats where I bought all of mine from and they have great prices and fast free shipping.

strap

I recently got the 276C. I like it. It is very easy to use (haven't open the manual yet), and has lots of extra features - the most important for me was an easily resetable trip log that contained some quite detailed info. The max memory card it can take is a 256mb, which is a huge amount of area. I have the Canadian Topo loaded and I got half of BC, most of Alberta, and about 25 percent of Sask.
I set it up with a Ram mount. It is a sweet setup. Sorry, no pics available at this time.

dingdong said:
I recently got the 276C. I like it. It is very easy to use (haven't open the manual yet), and has lots of extra features - the most important for me was an easily resetable trip log that contained some quite detailed info. The max memory card it can take is a 256mb, which is a huge amount of area. I have the Canadian Topo loaded and I got half of BC, most of Alberta, and about 25 percent of Sask.
I set it up with a Ram mount. It is a sweet setup. Sorry, no pics available at this time.

Nice! Glad to hear it! My 276C should be here today if the fedex guy ever arrives! :D

well, my 276C just arrived and i just got finished setting it up!

Anyone interested in buying a nice Garmin GPSV with a bunch of extra goodies? Here is some info on it: http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/

Anyone interested PM Me

thanks
kevin

I have a gecko 301 for hiking (which works great) and a 76 for the vehicle. I got the 76 at a MEC gear swap for $60 can. I like the large screen, but don't have much use for the marine navigation functions... (it is a marine GPS, floats, MOB, lighthouses etc.) The memory size leaves something to be desired as far as my use goes but it has an external antenna, and dash mount/serial connection. If it helps, all of the Sheriff deputies from the up-river detachment in this county have them hooked to their laptops in their rigs and seem to like them fine without the external antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom