GPS for Christmas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We're looking for a handheld GPS unit that has both topo and a good road database. Thinking of the Garmin 76CSx. Any better suggestions? Must be easy to use - it's a Christmas present for parents.

Thanks,
Steve H

We're looking for a handheld GPS unit that has both topo and a good road database. Thinking of the Garmin 76CSx. Any better suggestions? Must be easy to use - it's a Christmas present for parents.

Thanks,
Steve H

Don't know about roads, but look at one of the Garmin 60's. There are several models from a basic B&W to color with maps.

The only difference I could see between the 60CSx and the 76CSx was 64mb of memory for the 60 and 128 for the 76. Is there more?

The only difference I could see between the 60CSx and the 76CSx was 64mb of memory for the 60 and 128 for the 76. Is there more?

Memory is a moot point ... they both take memory cards and you can install what every you want. I personally think the 60 is a more rugged unit.

x2 on the 60csx. I use that one, and stuck a 1GB memory card in it. I've got both the Garmin city select software for on-road navigation, and the NM and Colorado TOPO maps from National Geographic.

I am very pleased with the ease of use and features on the 60csx. The on-road nav flat out rocks when you're in a strange city- you can tell it to take you to the nearest gas station, or even the nearest specific brand gas station (Chevron, Shell, etc.). It lists restaurants, hotels, whatever you want, as current as the software you have. If you wanna check mine out before you buy one, lemmie know...

Ryan

I've been looking for a GPS too... and have been seriously considering the 60csx. I was a little leary of the on-road performance, although it sounds like you have had good experience with it.

There's been lots of discussion on this topic in the Outfitter section. Good luck in wading through all the opinions and such!

I've got the Garmin M5. I agree with the on-road maps working great. If you go on the Garmin site you can find the topo maps. They may or may not be useful. Just getting the coordinates with a regular map is helpful.

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom