GPS and RTT.....still good ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does the GPS and XM Radio still work with a RTT covering antennae? Asking for "ma wife"

It depends upon how far forward you mount your RTT.
I have the large iKamper on a Gamiviti rack. The RTT is mounted so the front is aligned with the front angle of the rack. The iKamper is FULL length and completely covers the shark fin antenna.
With that being said AND how covered the shark fin is, satellite radio (XM Sirius) does still works depending upon which direction we're driving. Sometimes it can be real spotty if we're rolling in the wrong direction in relation to the transmitting satellite, other times it's perfect. Depending up how long your RTT is, just scoot it as far forward on your rack just so the shark fin is completely open to the sky and you should not have any problems.
Below you can see kind of how it aligns up front with the fairing.
20210109_095658-jpg.2551240

Here are some photos I went down to take showing how covered it is. It's more than 6" under, completely covered by the RTT and we can still get reception.
20230420_083926.jpg

20230420_083934.jpg

20230420_083955.jpg

yours is the exact same position as ours...How about the GPS? Still works?

Never had a problem with GPS. When we're off roading we use the infotainment nav screen map with "bread crumbs" feature to track where we've been in case we need to turn back and find our way out. Never had a problem with tracking us, regardless of which direction we're pointed.
Doesn't affect our phones GPS either.

What tent are you and your wife looking at?
I'd suggest staying with a hard shell. Faster to set up/take down, sturdier in high winds, minimally better MPG. Downside is they are usually a little heavier.

FSR Evolution...takes up the whole rack.....doing a massive 6k mile trip and thought the GPS would be a pleasant addition to the paper map stuff, hoping it works being covered up. Currently on my 80, but only 30 minutes to swap over

PXL_20230409_213029638.jpg

Reactions: r2m
FSR Evolution...takes up the whole rack.....doing a massive 6k mile trip and thought the GPS would be a pleasant addition to the paper map stuff, hoping it works being covered up. Currently on my 80, but only 30 minutes to swap over

View attachment 3303136
That's a great looking 80! Did it come with the factory front and rear lockers? Or just the rear?

Thank you r2m. I put in ARB's front/Rear.....oem lockers imo are overrated.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom