"Gotter all hooked up" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone could offer their 2 cents??? I just bought a fj 40 with some problems and at this time is not driveable....The fj40 is 310 miles away and I need to get her home...I was thinking ....I'd take my 1993 80 series and tow the 40 on a drive on trailer I could rent from uhaul...Do you fellows think this is a good combination for a 310 mile trip or a accident waiting to happen ???any other ideals ???chuck'em to me ........THANKS"

You can do this if you are careful. From my experience a 40 doesn't sit on the trailer in the right spot if you use the straps on the trailer. I'd recommend you borrow or buy some chains and binders or 2" ratchet tie downs (www.awdirect.com or Northern Tool are a couple of my favorite sources). This way you can park the Cruiser on the trailer where the weight balances out nice then tie it down there with your own stuff.

HTH,
Nick Jennings

Thanks !!! My experience in towing ... I always wanted the weight to the front of the trailor..So she didnt do that side to side sssssssss----iiiittttt. Would this be the case here or try to get the weight directly and evenly disbursed over the trailors axels ? Hey and Thanks again

U-haul will not allow it....sadly....my 80 tows my 40 just fine on my trailer...you'll be MUCH happier to borrow a buddies 3/4 ton or 1-ton and pay fuel+ $100 for the favor....

the 80 series is rated for 5k max....the FJ40 alone is 4000 and the silly u-haul trailers are another 2k easy, or more....

you want 10% tongue weight....my rig is balanced enuf on the trailer that if I set it one chain link further back, it sways....as it rides, it's perfect (I have over 30,000 towing miles....never one issue...8000 last year alone...)

Thanks But Sorry no buddie with 1 ton .......How will uhaul know what im towing

you rent a car trailer, that's their first question...

that, and since you are overloading the 80 with the weight, if anything DOES go wrong, you'll own a trailer :D

So Woody what type of trailor do you pull your 40 behind that 80 with...and what speed and distance have you traveled all hooked up?.....,trailor brakes or not ?... So your saying dont try it youll be sorry ...well you may right ?????Thanks a ton..

If you do not have a buddie with a trailor do you have a buddie with a truck?

I borrowed a Chevy K2500?? And towed a 40 about 300 miles. It is not the cheapest way to do it. 100 for gas and about 80 for the trailer but I knew it was safe and could get the job done and did not have to lie.

You might want to check this out. http://www.uhaul.com/
go to make a reservation.
(round trip is often cheaper than one way)
chose your vehicle towing uhaul trailer
chose where you are going to and from
than boxes pop up for you to chose what vehicle you have and what vehicle you will be towing. Uhaul will than tell you if you have an acceptable set up. Than you can make your reservation or close out.

Good Luck

:cheers:

I've got a lightweight/stripped down 14' car trailer, single axle electric brakes, Tekonsha controller...my FJ40 is a relatively stripped rock rig weighing 3800#.....trailer/FJ40 combined are probably around 5500#....I also use a weight distributing hitch.

My trailer is cruiser sized...barely....it's a tight squeeze, and I catch a lotta greif for how stripped down it is :D

1400 miles home from TX this spring....70mph pretty consistent. Tows quite nicely actually, outta handle even better once the new 80 lift goes on in a week-two. If you don't have experience towing (like I note, I tow a LOT), then making the 80 your first towing experience may not be a good one

Do some searches in the 80-series corner on towing....lots of opinions....and most people agree you are pushing the 80 pretty hard....

Do you have a Capps Van rental nearby? That is what I did. I rented a 15 passenger van with an 8.1l vortec. WOW what a motor. Anyway 300 bucks for 3 days, but I was towing the cruiser a lot further than 310 miles.

I would creap up and over 80MPH in that van without even noticing.

You can also rent a van from U-haul that will tow the trailer and cruiser. I think that is what cruiserwanted was saying.

John

I rented a Uhaul trailer when I towed my 40 home from PA to NH. I towed it behind my (now sold) 98 tacoma 4x4 v-6 with a 5 speed. I had a VERY tough time getting uhaul to rent me the trailer, I had to buy every optional insurance they offered. About 2 hours later, I pulled out with a trailer. I made it home fine, once moving the truck pulled it fine, but it was definately an accident waiting to happen. Fortunately it was a middle of the night run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom