1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gotta give the boy an "E" for effort....zerk fittings, pretty funny.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by flintknapper, Aug 4, 2005.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

One of my nephews just turned 16 and got his drivers license. He managed to save up some money and bought a '97 1/2 ton Chevy Truck. His dad works overseas so I told him I would help him "baseline" the vehicle and help pay for parts, fluids, etc....(he's a good kid).

I got him set up under the truck with a grease gun and a rag and showed him how to lube one of the U-Joints on the drive shaft (they had been replaced and actually had fittings). I told him to "grease everything with a fitting" and then to come and get me when he was done.

Well, 30-40 minutes go by and Tyler hasn't come up to the house yet, so I grab a Gatorade out of the fridge for the lad and head down to the shop to see what the hold up is.

I ask him if he's finished yet and he says "I greased everything except the wheels", and that he "can't get the grease gun to go onto the wheels".

Somewhat puzzled, I ask him what he's talking about....and told him there are no fittings on the wheels. I crawl under the truck and he has been trying to get the grease gun onto the bleeder screws on the brake calipers.

We had a little talk, and I vowed not to tell anyone that he knew, and that I was proud of him for doing his own maintenance. I should have stayed there with him a little longer.

Anyway, he knows all of the greaseable points now, and tomorrow we will flush the tranny.

I'm just proud to see someone (anyone) of the computer game generation... willing to learn about his vehicle.

I really got a chuckle out of this though.

2. beno

beno 23424-23216 Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Looking back, I wish my father would have done this when I was younger.

Working on the cruiser has given me an entirely different view of things...

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Is this the nephew that burned down his house a month ago?

I hope I can get my daughter semi-interested in basic vehicle maintainance (her last driver's ed class comes up Monday). Provided I get the opportunity. She's been virtual car shopping a lot.

4. Jman

Jman

LOL, make sure he didn't grease the brake rotors! :D

5. Gundy

Gundy

Jiffy lube

did this to my 40 once. It had a pull to one side before the greasing
    so the wonky brakes didn't seem so bad at first. By the time I got home
    it was almost undriveable.
    Pulled the drum off and much to my surprize the ENTIRE inside of
    the hub and the WHOLE backing plate was covered in grease.
    I thought I'd blown a seal or something. But, wait a minute...that was grease
    not fluid.
    When I scraped all the grease out I could see where the boots on the
    wheel cylinders were "blown off". Upon removal for repair I found
    the wheel cylinders full of grease.
    Gawd what a mess. funny thing is they only did one cylinder per wheel
    and only the front ones. Go figure! I mean...didn't the kid have to
    open the bleeders first to get grease in there?
    It took new everthing and a good flushing of the lines with a power bleeder
    to get me back to normal.
    Live and learn. I wouldn't let Jiffy Lube grease a little red wagon now.

I'd still give your nephew an "A". He DIDN'T open them to get it in there.

6. LabRat11

LabRat11

Flint....

Did he lube the Muffler Bearings?? :D

7. flintknapper

flintknapper

Naw...the one that burned the house down just paid a bunch of money to a repair shop to replace all four ball joints and the stub shaft on his Tacoma when the entire steering knuckle broke off of the vehicle when his wife was just leaving the parking lot in it.

It has NEVER had any service of any kind. I wouldn't lift a finger to help him out...(kids got a really s***ty attitude) and "attitude" and me don't mix.

Onur, I am glad you "dived in" yourself. My dad never showed my anything either. I had what most would consider a "privileged upbringing" and our vehicles were always serviced someplace. It was just natural curiosity for my brothers and myself to "tinker" with our vehicles.

Its not for everyone....I understand that...but it does give you a different outlook on things. You have certainly tackled quite a bit on yours. GOOD MAN!

8. beno

Media:
    Albums:

While my peers were tinkering, my parents (when they were married) made me sit in front of computers (Commodore 64/128, then a IIe, then a Mac), then they made me read a lot, and then they took me to museums/orchestra/opera, all of that 'high' culture stuff. I grew up with no TV, weekly New Yorker mags on the coffee table, no video games (though I snuck them at other kids' houses), no guns, playing war out side, etc.

I'm really disappointed that they didn't show me the 'active' side of life. Ironically, I ran my first road race (running) this past weekend. I've also become the house mechanic and for some friends' cars as well. Who woulda known. :eek:

In any event, I guess the LC has given me a new worldview, lots of bruises and cuts, along with tons of grease all over the place, and a new found respect for 'tinkering.' ;)

Best.
    -onur
    Akron, OH

9. mabrodis

mabrodis

Wow, that's ALOT different than my childhood...

"Here is a rock and a stick, go play with your brother"

"So the wagon broke, what do you need to fix it?"

:D

We had to fix every friggen toy/bike/car we had, all were junk, too poor to buy anything good, so we got good at fixing things...I always thought this was a bad thing...but I guess maybe it taught me to be creative fixing things and never doubt your own abilities...even when you completely rebuild your bike when you're like 10, like I did.. :D

10. Jman

Jman

Yeah, I was in the rock/stick club, too. :D

"There were 150 of us living in a shoe box in the middle of the road." :D

11. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe this might be a good demographic for MUD--to see how everyone grew up.

Categories:

1. Rock/Stick/Fix it yerself club
    2. Art/culture/reading/music club
    3. Pink panty club
    4. Tard club (I guess only one real member for that one... :flipoff2: )

:D
    -o-

12. usmcruiser

usmcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    My parents were pretty cool. I was the only kid in the neighborhood who was alowed to have toy guns. So everyone came over to my house to play cops and robbers. If somthing broke my dad and I would fix it together. I was always big on taking things apart and "trying" to put them back to gether.

For the most part I would have to say I was a mix of 1 and 2 but more of 1 than 2.

13. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I hate to admit it, but one of my very first attempts at doing anything to a vehicle included that very same thing! :eek: In the meantime my roommates were in the driveway putting a detroit locker in the rear diff of a K5 blazer, and then here's moron me trying to grease the brake bleeder fittings..............so embarassing.

14. Desertdave

Desertdave

Wow, you had a shoebox? We had to live in a paper bag in the septic tank.

15. expat

expat

Luxury...

16. silvercrusher

silvercrusher

Amazing how many kids these days have no clue how to fix anything. They don't even know how to get a job. Good for u showing a kid he can do things like that. Anyone who takes up a trade and is willing to learn , have some pride in their work, and put in an honest effort is going to do well in this next generation.

All these computer jobs and lazy ass office jobbies are a dime a dozen but try to find someone with a clue to fix anything in 20 years and I think you'll be SOL. The guy doing the fixing will be making a fortune.