got stranded last night for the first time.. Security related issue need suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK , so me and the wife went out last night to have a little dinner with out the kids and of course she wants to go to a fancy place with Valet parking. When we came out the valet could not get my truck started so I went to see what was going on ... For some reason the security light was not going out and I noticed that immediately. All the classic symptoms of security immobilizer. I figured maybe something happened to my key while the valet had it. So we call and get our other key which use to work , but now the truck does not recognize it also. I do not use the key fob and only use keys I programmed with I bought the truck and have worked for over 3 years.

I had to have the truck towed home..:crybaby:. So I have been searching on mud and trying things.. easy first.

1. Cycle locks , no change
2. Disconnect Battery for more then 15 mins. , no change
3. Check fuses , no change
4. Replace EFI fuse (20amp) as this seems like same issue others have had., no change
5. Checked brake lights and bulbs all are working
6. Went and got spray cleaner to apply to contacts even more new fuses, no change

Any other ideas before I have my truck towed to dealer ??

Thanks ..

Last edited:
I hope is not ECU .. maybe a fuse box issue at this point is my best guess..

If by disconnecting the battery you were trying to reset the ecu that won't do it. There are capacitors that won't drain in 15mins simply by parasitic draw. Try disconnecting both + & - terminals from the battery and briefly touch them together to give a path to ground. While it is disconnected it wouldn't hurt to try removing and reseating the ECU, but I'd just try this first.

I do this occasionally to reset the learned fuel maps in my turbo sedan because over time the ECU can dial them back as it deals with transient faults and never bumps thresholds back up again.

Tried the disconnecting more... but need truck next week so off to the dealer...
CAM00710.jpg

dammit ...... This is not the way you want to see a Land Cruiser.

I am not sure , I am not one to blame others but .... it did cross my mind as I really dont like to valet park. I will update this once the dealer gets back to me and I am about to be take for a ride.

Kind of weird, do you think the valet did something?

I have left a couple restaurants when the valet would not allow me to park our cruiser.
You have no idea what they do when they get behind the wheel.....

At least these cruisers aren't too fast/abusable. Imagine them behind the wheel of sports cars - I hope you have a speed/rev limiter if you have one

I used to valet a lot when I lived in Vegas, and my X5 mysteriously came back twice with flat rear tires. Those are around $400 a piece and staggered AND directional, so they are a PITA the replace. I have my reservations about valet now, and it's very odd that something that's never happened before happened when it was with them. Not sure what they could have done, but it's strange to say the least. Sorry to hear about it!

Just to gander a guess: was it the more powerful variant of the X5? (4.4?)

Valet didn't take responsibility of your flat tires? That's bothersome.

Hey, I had a very similar experience a few years ago - ended up being a little relay that I changed... I'll try to look it up, but that's what fixed it. It was a very cheap part.

If you search my username and look back at a bunch of posts (about 1 year ago or just prior) you'll find it. I hope you get your problem fixed!

Just to gander a guess: was it the more powerful variant of the X5? (4.4?)

Valet didn't take responsibility of your flat tires? That's bothersome.

Yep it was the big (thirsty) V8 with sport package and the premium sport wheels. They claimed both times at the Bellagio and Aria that they weren't responsible for damage when it was in their care - pretty lame if you ask me!

Dumb question - are you positive the only security system on it is the factory one?

Yes security system is factory and the problem was.......

Fuse box connection corrosion..... They pulled the fuse box apart and found a connector in the fuse box that was not making a good connection which would not allow the fuel something another to get a clean signal tripping the security system to not allow starting. I think it was the FEI fuse but on the inside of the fuse box it self. There was one other thread I read about where someone else went ahead and replace the fuse box due to an issue like this. Kind of strange and close to $300 bucks but is fixed and back running good as new.

They even cleaned the truck and put some of that wet crap on my off road tires so now I need to find some mud to crap that crap off...... :rainbow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom