Got starter, got spark to all 6 plugs...no fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I know what to check next but solicting ideas from those with the know how and experience...

2/79 FJ40 3 year renovation nearing completion with new tank, inline filter, pump, lines etc. Last started a year ago with both fuel lines leading to fuel pump immersed in fuel container of gas. Started fine then...

Fast forward to the present, put 2 gals in the empty OEM fuel tank and cranked for a while (repeatedly) but not getting the fuel filter or carb bowl (based on the site glass in the carb) to fill with gas.

Mu questions...

1) Doesn't seem to make sense to me to pull the fuel pump and see if their is gas coming out while cranking. I'm basing this on the fact my fuel filter prior to the pump is not filling...yes/no/full of :censor:

2) My first thought is the easy solution...just add another couple gallons to the tank...yes/no/why not?

3) Do I need to prime this sucker somehow? Ffill the carb bowl and if it runs for a while this may run the fuel pump enough to draw the tank fuel into the supply lines, filter, and eventually the carb? Other ways to "prime" the fuel system?

So come on and let me hear some ideas! It would be a great Father's Day bonus to bring the "Frog" back to life after three years of hibernation.

Cheers, and Keep on Cruising!

Dave
Dave

Yes and....

I would go ahead and add a little more fuel if you have it. Save some though and dump it in the carb. Not a lot. Just a splash or two. Then turn it over. Should start if all else is ok.
I've been driving diesels for a long time but I remember the days of running out of gas. We always had to prime the carb a little.
In lieu of gas you can get some starter fluid.
The increased rpms of the engine should get the fuel pump pumping better.
This doesn't have an electric pump does it?

P

Thanks for the reply

Pete

I ended up putting another 2 gals in the tank, but still wouldn't pick up fuel. Filled the carb numberous times directly, and she fired up...until I drained the carb bowl. I think I may have switched my fuel lines at the tank. Pickup to the pump, versus return from the pump, or maybe even got the evap emission line. There are three 90 degree elbows on top of the 2/79 tank. I thought I knew what each what did, but without looking into the tank I'm not sure how they are configured.

Dave

What I have done in the past is disconnect the line leading up to the fuel pump from the gas tank to make sure the fuel pump is actually working. Then connect it to the disconnected line to a small gas container to act as a gas tank. If it works you know it could be the lines are mismatched like you suspect or you have a clogged fuel line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom