got stallite radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i meant to type satellite radio...

post some pics of where you mounted the unit... trying to figure out where to mount one so i can still listen to Stern.

i have the sirius jvc-sr2000 plug n play unit. the antenna is on the doghouse, behind the standard vehicular antenna and partially protected by the snorkel. it's received well so far.

i used the bracket from the car docking kit and screwed into the lower dash metal. in this setting, with mith my hanmd resting on the shifter, it's easy to control the unit. it blocks the ashtray, but i don't smoke... and if i need to retrieve the batteries from the ashtray, the mount is adjustable.

i also have a car mount in the station wagon, and a home dock in the garage. i just plug the receiver where i want to listen.
Sirius-Antenna.jpg
Sirius-dash.jpg
Sirius-dash2.jpg

My clarion cd deck has sattelite built into it. If you need a new cd player, you may just want to get one with all the goodies. Then you don't have to deal with the extra unit, wiring, etc.

My Sony deck is the same. If and when I break down for XM, it is ready to go.

:beer:

I have a kenwood Sirius ready cd unit. Amp speakers sub etc. I have been a subscriber to Sirius for a year now and I NEVER listen to regular radio anymore! I lOVE IT! I am hooked on channel 19. Buzzsaw. RUSH, KISS, AC/DC , ZEPPLIN, all kick ass commercial free radio. $12.00 a month. The best thing is when you go on road trips you can still listen to your favorite station!

nice... thanks... good placement of the antenna. i would hate to be popping window seals for it.

I bought an XM receiver for my wife/family for Christmas. It's got an FM transmitter built in so it can be played through the radio, but will have to install an antenna on any vehicle I want to use it in. My Scion radio is XM ready, so guess I can use that as long as I attach an antenna....

So what is that muscle car in your headlights?

question here, this came up the last time my club went wheeling out at tellico Tn. Has anyone with sat radio ever lost signal while wheeling out on a trail that was far from home?

I'm thinking of getting xm for myself and the gf for christmas, and the only thing bad I have heard is that when your off the beaten path they tend to lose signal? TRUE OR NOT?

Thanks for any input

dude - it's a satellite radio - hence no dependence on any earthbound device - that's the whole hook
it can only be defeated by overhead obstructions - eg parking garages, gas pump overhangs - maybe the offroad experience you heard is from heavy tree foliage, or being angled so the antenna is severly tilted
I've even had reception after I pull in the garage, with the door open - the sucker takes a second to find the satellite in the east orbit it can see through the door, and locks on - very Buck Rogers, I dig it

3 rigs, 3 XMs, 3 different setups. I first bought a Roady for my Fire Engine and we hard mounted it to the dash, very clean. I have a Skyfi in my 62 mounted next to the heater controls on an access panel ( an earlier post showing a Sirius set up had an hour meter(?). Also very clean and easy to use. This weekend had a Sony deck installed in the wifes car and had the XM sending unit installed as well. Cleanest setup by far but the deck features aren't as satellite friendly as the Delphi units. As far as signals go XM has both the satellites over head and terrestrial repeaters. I've travelled from AZ to MS along the Gulf Coast for work and never a hiccup. Recently moved from the Grand Canyon where we listened to it daily and never once lost a signal. Now that I'm in Washington its not the same story. Between the higher latitude, the increased timber density, and the friggin Cascades, reception is hit or miss. Oh well, still beats the crap out of regular radio and fumbling for cds on long hauls.

DC

Hey Peter:

I just swapped the old Eclipse unit out of my pickup a couple of weeks ago, mostly so I had a way to directly connect my iPod into the stereo. I had an FM transmitter thingy for it, but it sounded AWFUL.

I ended up with the Alpine CDA-9851. It has AUX inputs and will also accept an external satellite unit, I can choose either XM or Sirius. I haven't do that part yet, but the system sure does sound good...

Alpine1.jpg

I have the Sirius sportster. it has worked with 10" of snow on top of the ant. and at 9000" feet with alot of tree cover. no complaints here.

plus we get uncensored Howard in less than a month. WOOPPEE!

KLF said:
Hey Peter:

I just swapped the old Eclipse unit out of my pickup a couple of weeks ago, mostly so I had a way to directly connect my iPod into the stereo. I had an FM transmitter thingy for it, but it sounded AWFUL.

I ended up with the Alpine CDA-9851. It has AUX inputs and will also accept an external satellite unit, I can choose either XM or Sirius. I haven't do that part yet, but the system sure does sound good...

Alpine1.jpg

as always ken... killer install. its going to be an xmas gift so i am not sure if i am going to get the head unit or the transferable one. time will tell.

BTW SCJ I have one XM head unit (hence one subscription) and move the unit from vehicle to vehicle
I drive to work at 0430 and it is TREMENDOUS to have the channel choices
it is a terrific investment I mean dude satellite ROCKS

so I guess, um, yes, I would have to say I recommend it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom