Got some Brand New Front Calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So got some parts from American Toyota last night. These things are pretty shinny, almost don;t wanna install them :lol:. too bad they aren't gonna stay that way for long.

So, any benefit/reason I should power coat these calipers before installation?

:cheers:

I went through this same drill when I got my new calipers and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the time, effort, and cost.

Last edited:
Are they cadmium plated?

I would just use the auto parts store laquer paint meant for calipers, the brush on version that comes in a box. I used this stuff on some Audi calipers that i rebuilt and it hasn't cooked off yet, but it was the black color. Brushed, sanded, Degreased with Acetone, then used four coats of paint.

x2 what Sc0 said.. good prep and multiple coats...

Pics or it didn't happen.

Ha. Thankfully my calipers were still good when I replaced all the rotors/pads/re-packed bearings.

So got some parts from American Toyota last night. These things are pretty shinny, almost don;t wanna install them :lol:. too bad they aren't gonna stay that way for long.

So, any benefit/reason I should power coat these calipers before installation?

:cheers:

factory reman calipers are very shiny silver. I believe it's a plating process. All I know is that they hold up very well to the elements.

New calipers (not factory reman, but factory new) are painted and don't hold up as well to the reman ones.

IMO, leave it as is, install it, and clean them periodically. In a few years time you can always paint them.

I didn't paint mine (oem) and in one year they were rusted. Pulled them and painted with high temp engine enamel. They look much better after the second year. I say paint them now and save a step later.

If you do paint them, I've always had great success with G2 Paint.(linked)

Have used that stuff on my autocross car with no complaints what so ever.

I painted mine with Duplicolor high temp caliper paint, Before and after, top picture. This was the result after a few moths later. :cool:
Drilled rotor after.jpg
bk Rotor before.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom