Got side-swiped...now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:grinpimp:This is what happened to the semi

cropped_Truck_accident_24_40_1_t640.jpg

I had similar but slightly more damage to my 60 3 years ago. My accident was also the other drivers fault but included the hood. As an FYI it took a long time to find an auto body shop willing and capable of working on a steel truck. It also ended up costing almost 3x their original estimate. In the end I went through my insurance, which did not impact my insurance premium, and used a custom rod specialty shop to do the work. Ended up costing more than I paid for the 60 roughly 3 years earlier. Yes I stole it, but still blows my mind how much it cost. (~$5,000)

Hold your ground, know the cost of new or acceptable to you replacement parts and get a “real” shop that you trust to quote their actual labor cost. A 60 is not a new Tupperware SUV and shop time is spendy. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Update...

The local Toyota dealer will replace the bumper, end cap, mounting brackets, fender, etc...do the paint and everything. All with OEM parts. They quoted a price of ~2000 USD. I think I will just go ahead with this...even though the patina will be completely different. It will all be repainted in a bit.

st

Update...

The local Toyota dealer will replace the bumper, end cap, mounting brackets, fender, etc...do the paint and everything. All with OEM parts. They quoted a price of ~2000 USD. I think I will just go ahead with this...even though the patina will be completely different. It will all be repainted in a bit.

st
" Life is too short for a long story.”
― Mary Wortley Montagu

Update...

st

This is not a bad thing - since I drive my truck offroad - it gets scratches and such from the brush on the paint. I have been reluctant to paint the whole thing. I just paint the stuff that needs it and take care of any rust immediately. No need to paint the whole thing if you use it as intended.

PS - I am going to paint the whole back tailgate section and probably the 2 rear quarters on each side since I ordered a bumper from 4x4labs and want to take care of that before I install it. The paint is really burnt and cracked there...

This is not a bad thing - since I drive my truck offroad - it gets scratches and such from the brush on the paint. I have been reluctant to paint the whole thing. I just paint the stuff that needs it and take care of any rust immediately. No need to paint the whole thing if you use it as intended.

PS - I am going to paint the whole back tailgate section and probably the 2 rear quarters on each side since I ordered a bumper from 4x4labs and want to take care of that before I install it. The paint is really burnt and cracked there...
On a side note...I've been eyeing the 4x4 labs rear double fold out with ladder. I really like that ladder.

On a side note...I've been eyeing the 4x4 labs rear double fold out with ladder. I really like that ladder.

I know you are in the country of "pura vida" (I am puerto rican by birth and spent some time working in Costa Rica - love that country) - I went to Valley Hybrids here in CA and Georg had all of the different rear bumpers available on one FJ60 or another. After looking at all of the various options - I chose 4x4labs. The build time is 12-14 weeks but I am ok with that. It is more that $200 to get that bumper shipped from Luke's workshop down to Valley Hybrids which is not that far. To CR the biggest factor would be the shipping costs. I would give them a call if you are interested. They can also make any special modifications that you require.

Or you could just make the drive up! --- I recall seeing a FJ40 at Mudrak with Costa Rica license plates a few years ago.

Update...

st
Solid choice! Enjoy the refreshed 60 in good health.

I know you are in the country of "pura vida" (I am puerto rican by birth and spent some time working in Costa Rica - love that country) - I went to Valley Hybrids here in CA and Georg had all of the different rear bumpers available on one FJ60 or another. After looking at all of the various options - I chose 4x4labs. The build time is 12-14 weeks but I am ok with that. It is more that $200 to get that bumper shipped from Luke's workshop down to Valley Hybrids which is not that far. To CR the biggest factor would be the shipping costs. I would give them a call if you are interested. They can also make any special modifications that you require.

Or you could just make the drive up! --- I recall seeing a FJ40 at Mudrak with Costa Rica license plates a few years ago.

Thanks for the info on that, Icolon....I'm originally from S. Calif.....the rear bumper will be an icing on the cake sort of thing when I'm finished with current engine restoration, although I do have some White Knuckle rock sliders on the way, (another Calif company), and shipping to Miami was $182 so I imagine bumper will be similar, maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom