Got rear ended at high speed last night - what to look for re frame damage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sadly, I have joined the ranks of folks who have witnessed first hand how our LC's are built like tanks. I was traveling on the highway last night with two of my kids in pretty heavy stop and go traffic. I was in the right lane doing about 50 when I could see up ahead that my lane was at a standstill. I started braking (fairly hard) and just before we came to a full stop, we were hit from behind by a Highlander. Because we were both braking hard, she squared off with my hitch which destroyed her car. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Her airbags deployed so she seemed okay, but was shaken up.

All things considered, it was remarkable how little (surface) damage the LC had. The impact broke whatever holds the spare tire underneath as my spare was in the middle of the highway. I haven't been in an accident in over 30 years so not sure how the process works and if I should bring the 100 to the Toyota dealer so they can inspect for frame damage and assess what was broken aside from the bumper? Or do I just call my insurance and follow their process? She was at fault (obviously) and her insurance is Liberty Mutual.

Assuming no frame damage, do I take the money and upgrade to an ARB, Slee, Dissent etc? Does anyone make a rear bumper where the spare still stows beneath? Can't fit a swing out style in the garage. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
We just dealt with a solely online insurance company (Root). Nothing in person, you submit photos, they give you back an estimate that you can EFT into your bank. Then it's up to you if you take it to a shop or not. If you did and the damage was more, you let them know and they pay the shop on top of what they paid you. If not, you're done, you keep the money.

Some other places will handle it all themselves - they give you a list of a few different places to choose from, you drop it off, they provide an estimate and either cash you out or fix it depending on what you want. If you fix it, that shop does the work. Rarely would it go to a dealership, but many dealers also have body shops.

I know ARB makes a bumper with no swing outs (optional), but I'm not sure if the spare still fits under. I think it does.

Not sure what's more impressive, how little damage the LC took or the fact you haven't been in an accident in over 30yrs

We just dealt with a solely online insurance company (Root). Nothing in person, you submit photos, they give you back an estimate that you can EFT into your bank. Then it's up to you if you take it to a shop or not. If you did and the damage was more, you let them know and they pay the shop on top of what they paid you. If not, you're done, you keep the money.

Some other places will handle it all themselves - they give you a list of a few different places to choose from, you drop it off, they provide an estimate and either cash you out or fix it depending on what you want. If you fix it, that shop does the work. Rarely would it go to a dealership, but many dealers also have body shops.

I know ARB makes a bumper with no swing outs (optional), but I'm not sure if the spare still fits under. I think it does.
Thanks - I'm waiting to get the State Trooper's report which is supposed to show up in the mail today or tomorrow. Then I'll reach out to my insurance co and go from there.
Amazing how little damage the 100 took. Amazing
Agree. When the trooper walked up, he said "where's the vehicle she hit"? :D
Not sure what's more impressive, how little damage the LC took or the fact you haven't been in an accident in over 30yrs
Actually, the only accident I've ever been in was just after I got my license at 16, a guy backed into my car while I was parked. This is my first moving accident ever. Better to be lucky than good?

If the frame was damaged, would I know it by the way it drives? I was able to drive away from the accident and the 100 seemed to drive as normal.

Your rear crossmember is probably bent. You can remove your rear bumper and have a look.

Yes, most likely. I'll crawl under there tonight to take a look. Spare tire is out of the way so should be easy to see. Anyone know if the factory cross member and rear bumper is even still available from Toyota?

Glad you ard the kids are OK. Go ahead and notify your insurance company, if you haven’t already. Just let them know that you were involved in an accident. They’ll offer advice as well.

Check your rear door gaps. Make sure they’re still good. I was rear ended in a Highlander we owned. At first glance, looked fine. Upon closer inspection, frame rails were bent. Door gaps were off. In the end, totaled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom