Got it running sort of? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 92 landcruiser lj78 2.4 td efi as a non runnerwas told it needed a new ecu replaced it and it started then cut out.I have now got it running but only if i bypass the ecu by connecting a positive and negative from the connector on the fuel pump to the battery and it runs but very ruff and very very smokey grey smoke.Anyone know what could cause this as soon as i diconnect the wires it stops could the ecu need reprograming or reset any advice appreciated.

I don't know much about the ECU, but from your description it does sound pooched. You can try to reset by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. I'm betting that your grey smoke and rough idle is caused by incomplete combustion due to incorrect injection timing. Isn't Wayne parting out one of his LJ78s? Maybe he has an ECU for you?

I bought a 92 landcruiser lj78 2.4 td efi as a non runnerwas told it needed a new ecu replaced it and it started then cut out.I have now got it running but only if i bypass the ecu by connecting a positive and negative from the connector on the fuel pump to the battery and it runs but very ruff and very very smokey grey smoke.Anyone know what could cause this as soon as i diconnect the wires it stops could the ecu need reprograming or reset any advice appreciated.

Sounds like a 1HZ I had with no compression on 1 or 2 cyls.

Check the timing marks on the fuel pump/timing cover.

I wouldnt go spending money on ECUs or anything else until you know the compression is good.

Did you let it warm up and take it for a drive or did it just sit there and idle. If it was warm while there was grey smoke, well I hope not but it could be the head, or with out the air metering sensor in airfilter or behind I should say , connected to the ECU including a couple of others, the 2lte will run like sh*t! . The other downfall of the lj besides the head. The ECU on these is almost like a gas fuelly, it will meter the air and also the fuel, but I believe with a mechanical pump these motors could run well and be simpler.
There should be a seperate forum for the light duties, and not on 70 series tech, I have one question for you newer prado owners, why after all the bad rap would you guys buy one of these?

There should be a seperate forum for the light duties, and not on 70 series tech, I have one question for you newer prado owners, why after all the bad rap would you guys buy one of these?

Probably not a good idea to have too many depressed people together on the one forum:flipoff2:

Should really be on the diesel forum;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom