Got Direct Fit Muffler Replacement Experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 17748 is on the way, should be here tomorrow or Monday. I will update! Good info, thanks everyone!

Any fitment issues with the #17748 on an 04 LX? I'm assuming no, but wanted to see if anyone had input.

Factory exhaust is 2.25, correct? No loss of back pressure issues going up to 2.5 muffler back?

IIRC the factory pipe measured 2.38" OD the muffler measured 2.50" ID. As for back pressure I have no idea but the butt meter is all thumbs up.

The Dynomax is on and sounds great, nice mellow tone, not too loud, just right! Best $120 I have spent on her!

After driving around with the resonator deleted for a few weeks, I took it back to the muffler shop and had them re-install it. I had some cabin drone at low speeds/Low RPM that was too much for my liking. I think my steel bumper transmitted and spread the sound around the back of the truck.

Taking @abuck99 's advice I went the Magnaflow route. An 11" case is available - part # 12586 - you can get on Amazon for around $100. My installer is charging $175. Not bad considering the OEM would cost $430 before install.

Taking @abuck99 's advice I went the Magnaflow route. An 11" case is available - part # 12586 - you can get on Amazon for around $100. My installer is charging $175. Not bad considering the OEM would cost $430 before install.

Wonder how that will compare to the 12286? Your new option is wider but shorter.

We'll see. The Magnaflow tech knew my requirements were OEM-like quiet & the 12286 was my first thought.

It been a little over a year since my exhaust upgrade.
Its been perfect upgrade in terms of sound, clearance, and performance.

Today I put the replaced muffler and deleted canister to the test. A friend with the same year and set up as mine decided to line them up for the test. The only difference was my friemds LX470 has 70K less miles and 100% stock exhaust. We did 2 test one from a dead stop to 70mph and the other a rolling punch. The LX470 with the exhaust mod easily pull the other through the complete RPM range on both runs. On the 0-70 run I was 2-3 car lengths ahead at the end.:) He said the exhaust made the engine sound strong and seemed to shift earlier.

Bottom line need/want a little more go and stay wife approved change your muffler and dump the canister.

Last edited:
Any updates on how these muffler replacements are holding up?

Good from a mechanical perspective.

In hindsight I would have forked over the cash for OE.

@scwill and I find that these drone at idle whenever the truck has some load on the motor - fans to combat heat / air conditioning specifically. I have to put it in N otherwise it drives me nuts.

Good from a mechanical perspective.

In hindsight I would have forked over the cash for OE.

@scwill and I find that these drone at idle whenever the truck has some load on the motor - fans to combat heat / air conditioning specifically. I have to put it in N otherwise it drives me nuts.

Which muffler do you guys have? I'm thinking of going with the MagnaFlow 12586 and leaving the resonator.

I’m installing the bosal muffler in my 99 lx470. Got the old muffler cut out and ready to bolt in the new. Does anyone know the torque for the flange bolts between the muffler and cats? I searched but couldn’t find it. Also, the gaskets I got from bosal have some soft felt-like material on one side . Does that face the muffler or the cats?

I think I have the exhaust boom/drone at idle that is referred to in the TSB (stock everything). I'm debating whether to to start working through the TSB or replace the muffler with something along the lines of what @LandCruiserPhil did. I can deal with a little sound, but don't want to hear it on the highway. Since the the TSB idle drone sound is apparently due to frequency resonance, isn't it reasonable to think that muffler change would change the math enough to fix that?

I had a drone as well followed by a full on hole in the muffler. Just got the bosal hooked up this evening. No more drone, nice and smooth/quiet at idle.

It been a little over a year since my exhaust upgrade.
Its been perfect upgrade in terms of sound, clearance, and performance.

Today I put the replaced muffler and deleted canister to the test. A friend with the same year and set up as mine decided to line them up for the test. The only difference was my friemds LX470 has 70K less miles and 100% stock exhaust. We did 2 test one from a dead stop to 70mph and the other a rolling punch. The LX470 with the exhaust mod easily pull the other through the complete RPM range on both runs. On the 0-70 run I was 2-3 car lengths ahead at the end.:) He said the exhaust made the engine sound strong and seemed to shift earlier.

Bottom line need/want a little more go and stay wife approved change your muffler and dump the canister.
@LandCruiserPhil I know this is an old thread, but I am considering purchasing the Walker #11748 just as you did and deleting the resonator. Probably an ignorant question, but why can't I just clamp it on with some adapters/reducers and adjustable hangers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom