Got another 100 -this time an 06 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a few years of being cruiser-less I just closed on an 06 LX 470. She Silver /Gray and has 98k on the clock. It will take a few days for her to get to me as I bought out of state to avoid the New England crust cruiser syndrome. First order of business when she arrives will be timing belt service and heater tees along with fluid changes. Today my nephew will be detailing in preparation for transport.

Question : the truck has door edge guards - see pic. Are these stock on the LX ( perhaps dealer installed option)? they are soft vinyl and a perfect color match. I am debating wether to remove them prior to polishing / waxing.

IMG_5932.jpg

Last edited:
They are most likely dealer installed. I had a vehicle a while back that came with some, and I easily removed them, and they didn't leave a mark. Hopefully that will be the case with yours, if you actually do remove them. Now that I have kids, I wouldn't dare remove them for the protection they offer. Use a hairdryer to warm up the glue. Then carefully lift them off. Any glue residue left behind should come off with more heat. Don't go over-board with the hair dryer, or the paint may bubble.

The plastic pieces are cladding trim. They came on every LX produced. If you do decide to remove them, they are held in by plastic clips that have holes in the body that require some sort of filler.

The plastic pieces are cladding trim. They came on every LX produced. If you do decide to remove them, they are held in by plastic clips that have holes in the body that require some sort of filler.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the door edge guards, not the cladding. BTW, Silver is a great color.

Long Haul is correct, I was talking about the door edge guards. I took them off - looks much better. The truck looks fantastic in silver. It was just detailed and is looking like it has half the mileage it does.

I can't wait 'til it gets here. I had a 2000 Land Cruiser but it rusted out from below. This one is coming over from the left coast. I plan to be more vigilant about protecting the chassis from rust this time. Has anyone used Fluid Film? If so would you recommend it?

Has anyone used Fluid Film?

Lots of threads here, most recently:

Has anyone used Fluid Film?
NH Oil Undercoating is a great place to get your truck sprayed with a fluid film like substance. I've used fluid film many times and will be using it on my LX next winter.

I can't wait 'til it gets here. I had a 2000 Land Cruiser but it rusted out from below. This one is coming over from the left coast. I plan to be more vigilant about protecting the chassis from rust this time. Has anyone used Fluid Film? If so would you recommend it?

I had a local shop apply the FF to mine last fall before the snow hit. It still looks as good as it did last year so I'm happy so far. I'm in Maine as well and have put 17k miles on it since I got it 10 months ago. Rinsed almost weekly and kept inside at night so that may help things. In my opinion, it was $150 well spent. I'll have them reapply it this fall to make sure it's covered. The second applications are under $100 as it doesn't take as much fluid or time.

I am in the Portland area. It looks like the nearest Fluid Film applicator, Paulin's tire is only a few miles away from me in So. Portland. I'll call for a quote.

If / when you take it to get done, I would leave the spare at home. It will be easier for them to coat the back end and the tire hoist will get coated. Also, have them spray up into the upper rear hatch. There are a few drain holes in it already so it should be easy enough.

Expanse Outfitters in South Portland is an authorized Waxoyl applicator. I reached out to them a couple of months ago and never heard back, though.

I also went with Fluid Film.

Truck has finally boarded the transporter and is on its way here. Here she is before leaving. Anyone interested in a brush bar?

LX pre-transport 1.jpg

LX pre-transportI 2.jpg

Body and frame are very clean. Interior looks almost new. Will need 90,000 mile service and AHC fluid change. I was looking in southern states too but my brother lives in Seattle so getting this truck was easier since I had a “local agent” and a place to keep the truck while waiting for transport. Full detail by my nephew was an added bonus 👍

Reactions: tjb
Body and frame are very clean. Interior looks almost new. Will need 90,000 mile service and AHC fluid change. I was looking in southern states too but my brother lives in Seattle so getting this truck was easier since I had a “local agent” and a place to keep the truck while waiting for transport. Full detail by my nephew was an added bonus 👍

That’s great!! Congrats. Glad it went to a mudder.

Welcome to the VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent club

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom