Got a new tool (Tire groover) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
02D9F2C5-2854-48EB-B7D7-E6F910C00D48.jpeg
661386AC-361B-45E5-8820-A2D7D3C96531.jpeg

I have some older BFG tires to experiment on. I’m going on a interior ice fishing trip so I should see some icy driving on the mountain passes and snowy mountain lakes. Going to try siping them first.

065F30CD-0378-44D1-A7DE-91B8AB14C28D.jpeg

BA3C3C90-8ACA-4D23-8EF3-AC274AECA1E7.jpeg

Last edited:
I have some older BFG tires to experiment on. I’m going on a interior ice fishing trip so I should see some icy driving on the mountain passes and snowy to the mountain lakes. Going to try sipping them first.

Don’t want to drive like this woman in Victoria today! VIDEO: Dashcam records near-miss by bad driver near Sooke - Victoria News

Let us know how you make out with the siping!

Heh, I know who's dashcam recorded that; he's one of the 80 owners in our club (you've met him). Didn't know it was submitted to the news! Pretty nuts though eh?

Third inline over here. What was the price tag?

I have some older BFG tires to experiment on. I’m going on a interior ice fishing trip so I should see some icy driving on the mountain passes and snowy to the mountain lakes. Going to try siping them first.

View attachment 2189405
View attachment 2189406

Don’t want to drive like this woman in Victoria today! VIDEO: Dashcam records near-miss by bad driver near Sooke - Victoria News

Cool tool! Let us know how the trip went.
I see some hidden "hit-to-pass" talent for western speedway in the coming spring from that video.

5E0D6B3C-EDD0-4031-94D1-51830818B6E8.jpeg
6B1DBC71-2AAF-4985-91D6-85CDB8AD796D.jpeg
38A1B9E4-4B2C-430B-B77A-FBD9DE2075FB.jpeg

Siped the inside treds I left the outside treds alone to hopefully prevent chunking. It works great but you do have to let the tool warm up every three cuts or so if not and you keep forcing it it just wrecks cutting blades.

I siped my 38.5x14.5 TSL/SX’s back long ago. On my 351W FJ40..
Drove to Calgary three times in winter, they were amazing! List of best mods
for sure.
Except - my Toyo MT’s are siped and the Dempster and up to Tuktoyaktuk chewed
them up! After several thousand kilometres of hard blasted highway rock they chunked
really bad! Surprised me very much. I don’t have a pic with me, I’ll post it when I get
home.

Siping really comes in to play when tires wear below 50% or so. My old BFG Mud Terrians were like hockey pucks on ice once they wore down. I siped the inners and they felt almost new again.

6891FF19-A69A-4E56-A2B7-01B222EDF3FB.jpeg

Tuning up the slicks on my city boy tractor. These wheels should have come spiked they drive the reel and slip on the wet grass sometimes.

D18E4B2C-B0D3-4992-8EBB-64968C69A029.jpeg

Got new tires and cut them up immediately. Good thing I did as I drove drove Duncan to Nanaimo in the snowy glazed slush and back, passing pickup’s and SUV’s in the median and ditches.

Some people believe knobby big lugged tires are what you need in the ice and snow. i disagree and believe you need as manny small sharp cutting edges as you can get, sort of just like a proper snow tire hah. Don’t matter if you have if you have fully locked 6wheel drive you still can’t stop a slide if your tires fat lugs are all plugged up with snow.

Last edited:
View attachment 2877527
Got new tires and cut them up immediately. Good thing I did as I drove drove Duncan to Nanaimo in the snowy glazed slush and back, passing pickup’s and SUV’s in the median and ditches.

Some people believe knobby big lugged tires are what you need in the ice and snow. i disagree and believe you need as manny small sharp cutting edges as you can get, sort of just like a proper snow tire hah. Don’t matter if you have if you have fully locked 6wheel drive you still can’t stop a slide if your tires fat lugs are all plugged up snow.

Right on!

I agree, a soft compound and lots of sipping is a winning combo. Essentially a proper snow/ice tire. Excellent for road use.

I've found to my supprise when trying to get through very deep snow off road, mud tires can actually be really good. I never expected it, but my large mud tires are better than skinny tall duratracs with v-bar chains off road...

View attachment 2877527

Some people believe knobby big lugged tires are what you need in the ice and snow. i disagree and believe you need as manny small sharp cutting edges as you can get, sort of just like a proper snow tire hah. Don’t matter if you have if you have fully locked 6wheel drive you still can’t stop a slide if your tires fat lugs are all plugged up with snow.
Although I’m sure the sipping helped, driving a Landcruiser and having a brain behind the wheel likely made a bigger difference.

I drove my cruiser all over town and back in ‘96. It had Michelin XC AT tires on it with 30k miles. Only got stuck when the snow was up to the top of the hood or the ruts were more than 2’ deep… although made it through some that were 3’ deep.

On a different occasion, I drove from way out on Happy Valley Rd to the Inner Harbor… on black ice everywhere. Cars were piled up in the ditches all along the route.

I’m not saying sipping isn’t a good thing… just there’s no replacement for a good rig, and using your brains. :D

And I’m sure someone will manage to go off the road and claim sipping doesn’t help… consider the inverse of my previous statements, and don’t blame the sipping.

Although I’m sure the sipping helped, driving a Landcruiser and having a brain behind the wheel likely made a bigger difference.

I drove my cruiser all over town and back in ‘96. It had Michelin XC AT tires on it with 30k miles. Only got stuck when the snow was up to the top of the hood or the ruts were more than 2’ deep… although made it through some that were 3’ deep.

On a different occasion, I drove from way out on Happy Valley Rd to the Inner Harbor… on black ice everywhere. Cars were piled up in the ditches all along the route.

I’m not saying sipping isn’t a good thing… just there’s no replacement for a good rig, and using your brains. :D

And I’m sure someone will manage to go off the road and claim sipping doesn’t help… consider the inverse of my previous statements, and don’t blame the sipping.
I should clarify one thing in my previous post… It doesn’t matter how skilled or well equipped you are. At some point you will likely come across a situation where, as Walter (my class 1 driving instructor) put it… W T F D Y D. His next statement was to call him and he’d come investigate the accident and determine if you could reasonably have avoided it… but it you were under the influence, he’d nail the lid on your coffin himself.

My point is that sh!t happens, and sometimes it’s unavoidable.

Last edited:

Wow! I find my locked cruiser taps out in 2 foot of power snow even aired down with chains on all four fully locked, less in heavy greasy snow. The axles just don’t have the clearance.
Yours must have been a monster.
918F1690-4E00-4598-A0B1-0C55F185FDDC.jpeg

I should clarify one thing in my previous post… It doesn’t matter how skilled or well equipped you are. At some point you will likely come across a situation where, as Walter (my class 1 driving instructor) put it… W T F D Y D. His next statement was to call him and he’d come investigate the accident and determine if you could reasonably have avoided it… but it you were under the influence, he’d nail the lid on your coffin himself.

My point is that sh!t happens, and sometimes it’s unavoidable.

Siping doesn’t help get you much further, it helps you stop those uncontrolled slides.

When you slide your tread fills with snow becoming flat like slicks. siping allowes little gaps to flex open that don’t fill with snow and act like little claws.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom