got a new rig! (also, help with 350 swap, disc brakes and saginaw)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i tried for the last couple months to get my tired F to pass emissions, and finally got fed up and decided to do a 350 swap. just as i started to look for engines/transmissions/adapters, i see on a local forum a ~1980 fj for sale with an sbc mated to lc 4spd with front discs and saginaw PS. i had to jump on it, and now it sits in my garage (pic will be attached)

what should i start with? i have limited garage space so i'm going to completely disassemble the new (to me) truck and sell what i don't need, how should i go about taking it apart for easy removal from the garage when i'm done? i live on a hill so i can't push trucks where they need to go, once i take the engine out its basically immobile unless i can lift it and carry it away.

more questions to follow :) thanks in advance :cheers:
DSC_0062.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg

so you trying to say the truck in the pic has the engine you want - you want to dismantle and put that engine into your 73 fj40 (not pictured)

label all wires, drain all fluids, pull engine tranny tcase as one - order new engine mounts for your other fj40.

this is just a shot in the dark but if your planning on doing all this? why couldn't you just swap the bodies of them? put your 73 body on the v8 fj40's frame? 8 body mounts and your almost there... just throwing up the option - not full proof

Yeah, not sure about what you want to do.

Just start pulling shtuff apart, bag and tag your hardware, label stuff like Bandy said, and just go to town.

Thems is some funky bumperettes and you gotta lose the tail lights. I been wondering how the jump seats would look and function being mounted that way, thanks for the pic.

Congrats on the "new" 40.

another problem is all the hokey bumpers and sliders and stuff on that frame... they are all welded directly on there. also the power steering job is kinda botched, they hacked almost all the way through the front crossmember with a torch and it shows.

but basically yes i plan on swapping the drivetrain from that truck over to mine.

i just looked at the engine code stamped on the block and apparently this is a 305! :mad: there will be hell to pay...

no hell...305 isn't all that bad in a 40, plus, later on when it pukes,350 will be a direct swap in.

nuclearlemon said:
no hell...305 isn't all that bad in a 40, plus, later on when it pukes,350 will be a direct swap in.

i know its not that bad of an engine, but the point is he told me it was a 350...

edit: btw congrats on 4000 posts :cool:

Congrats on the new cruisah.

Are you going to use his power steering system. Or are you going to go to the pick and pull and get differnt parts?

Also are you going to just swap out the whole front axel or just the rotors nad pads?

I dont know if the grearing in the '80 axle is the same as it is in your '73. So you may need to switch out a 3rd member also.

Like those cupholders on the back bumper. Great for tailgate parties or surfcasting. :)

Start by deciding what you want to keep. Then advertise what you don't want in the for sale section of this board. If time is not an issue than disassemble as parts are sold.

usmcruiser said:
Congrats on the new cruisah.

Are you going to use his power steering system. Or are you going to go to the pick and pull and get differnt parts?

Also are you going to just swap out the whole front axel or just the rotors nad pads?

I dont know if the grearing in the '80 axle is the same as it is in your '73. So you may need to switch out a 3rd member also.

i plan on using the pump and box, but i'll probably figure out a different shaft as this one is a little ghetto.

as far as the axles/brakes go if the gearing is different then i'll just swap out the knuckles, i have 4.11's so i assume the 80 would have 3.70? not too sure what i'll do about that yet, i just want to get it through emissions so i have transportation again...

honk said:
Like those cupholders on the back bumper. Great for tailgate parties or surfcasting. :)

you could put paint cans in there, they're massive :confused: lol

HawkDriver said:
Oh, I'd be steamin about that little detail. But MPG will be nicer. Well if you need a different bumper. ;)

yeh i'm pretty angered by it... still waiting to hear back from him.

metalonmetal: yes, i used to DD my other one until it failed emissions, couldn't get it to pass so i'm gonna fix it but good.

Cammy: thanks, i think i will do that. time is an issue so i'm gonna tear it all down and scrap most of the body, try to sell the rest... already have offers on a few pieces :cool:

Or you could just run it till the tank goes dry, pour in a fifth of everclear and limp it over to the emissions place. Anything can pass emissions running on alcohol.

Hi All:

What sort of condition is the '80 40 Series body tub? If decent/repairable you will be able to sell it for sure.

Maybe get a few opinions from people in the know on the general condition of the '80 VJ40 before you start parting it out. It may be repairable with a little bit of work.

Good luck!

Alan
seattle

bandy rooster said:
i would have got VIN numbers off a earlier truck that didn't require emissions .....

moohahaha

all vehicles have to pass emissions up here, except commercial trucks. :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom