Got a great donor roof for my 60 but it came with a price!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I meet this outstanding cruiser guy out of houston named Frank and he had a 60 laying around that he was parting out and he sold me the roof(with the liner with one small tear) and it still has the chrome on the drip rail very little rust and the roof rack, door panels and the backings are perfect, no cracks and nobody has cut speaker holes out, front windshield and gasket no cracks, back glass and lift perfect condition, both side glass with the chrome strips still installed, rear view mirror that was in great shape that was not turning into dust and a few more extras that have i never because he has a nice collection of cruisers and he sold all this for 1200 bucks which was a very generous of him. So your asking yourself where did price come in, well here it goes I showed up and i started to remove the roof with my grinder with a cutting wheel attached and I removed the guard and the handle to control it and i have used this set up plenty of times but today i was going to pay lightly for it, somebody was going to remind me about following the rules and the consequences of being complacent, so as i was cutting the back pillar, sure enough it kicked back on me and where was my safety glasses?(was wearing my prescription one)well not on me, where was my face shield? not on me, where were my heavy gloves? i wear my mechanix thin ones, so this culmination of rule breaking, recklesness and stupidity were my own doing, it was not an accident it was my ****ing s*** show. So a trip on an ambulance to the ER a few stitches later, tetnus shot, I go back to Franks(I apologized to him for my stupidity) yard and finish the job, paid the man and thanked him and apologized again and we loaded everything and headed back to fort worth, a very lucky dumb bastard because i'm sitting here typing this and i can see with both my eyes. My intention is not to sit here and make this a cautionary tale my intention is look at that awesome donor Roof!!!!!!

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

20200503_145305.jpg

20200503_163052.jpg

20200503_145323.jpg

Congrats on staying in the 10 digit and two eyeball club. Hope your install goes better than the removal.

All i can say is you are very lucky, you could have lost an eye or fingers. Count this as a blessing or maybe a reminder that stupid deeds gets stupid prices.
Good luck with your new project and we will be watching please get better and maybe give your family a big hug. Just my 2 pennies.

All i can say is you are very lucky, you could have lost an eye or fingers. Count this as a blessing or maybe a reminder that stupid deeds gets stupid prices.
Good luck with your new project and we will be watching please get better and maybe give your family a big hug. Just my 2 pennies.
[/QUOT

Hopefully I don't offend anyone with this post, it is not my intention to freak anyone out but It happened to me and i'm 48 years old(you would think i knew better) and this was my first set of stitches and 1st trip to an ER, 1st major injury I have ever had and i spent 21 years in the military been to a combat zone, worked on drilling rigs, and currently been running a tree cutting service working chain saws, dropping trees and this was a wake up call for me.

@GonzoTX1971 Let me say this, first Thank You for your service and second Welcome to MUD! I would salute you if you were in front of me, my family is full of military service men and women that includes my Grandpa who served in WW2 my oldest daughter (19) just joined U.S.A.F my younger brother is a Marine serving 23 years and another brother Army reserved multiple cousins are also Marines and some in the Navy.

Yes
Yes Sir, I did exactly what u just said and my wife is very very supportive of FJ60 passion but I scared her and I don't do that ever and i felt terrible for her and Frank the seller of the donor really nice guy, I hated myself for putting through that and I know somebody gave me a pass on this....

I always wear my protective gear but I've never had a grinder fly out before. I cut off the guard of course because it gets in the way. Can't it be predicted based on which direction it's turning and where it is, or does it just sometimes happen? Maybe my time hasn't come yet. I also try to cover my neck as I've heard of discs flying apart and slicing through jugulars ( I had that happen once but it went the other way)

Wow. Well, I'd look at it as you now have a lucky roof over your head!

damn son, some One was lookin' out for your @$$! scars are just tattoos with better stories. welcome to mud n nice score on the roof

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom