Got a 99 LX470 - Fix to sell or fix to keep? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ehh

Threads
Got it for $4000, needed windshield, needs small things like new stereo, head rests in back, paint, but only 150k on motor. No AHC, replaced by standard shocks.

Is this year worth building out with the intent of keeping, or should I repair it to sell for something newer? Uses will be for offroad on the farm but also a family vehicle. I already have other vehicles for the farm but do want the capability. Would not be for heavy off roading but moderate use, no rock climbing, just needs to get through mud and snow.

Is the lack of ATRAC a big deal breaker for this year? I'm in upstate NY so snow/ice is an issue, and sometimes mud is.

I wouldn’t consider it a deal breaker.

A 99 LX470 should have a rear LSD, but who knows its current functionality, at this age/mileage. If we assume the worst case, that the rear LSD is “worn out”, it should behave like an open differential.

Without ATRAC, 3 open differentials (front, center, rear), if one tire has zero traction, you’re “stuck”. If you lock the center differential, it would take one front tire, and one rear tire with zero traction to be “stuck”. Adding aftermarket lockers can improve this.

I live in a very low snow/ice area, so take this opinion with a grain of salt. If I have to drive in ice or snow, I do prefer one of my VSC equipped vehicles. It’s not that I can’t handle a non-AHC vehicle, it just offers an extra level of confidence. If I was putting a child or spouse behind the wheel, I’d prefer VSC.

Last edited:
Is the lack of atrac much different than an 01 Tacoma with 4WD? I’ve also got an 04 v8 4Runner which does well. If it’s comparable to those it may not matter. I’m getting mixed opinions on it

I remember my 04 V8 T4R having ATRAC, a lockable Torsen center diff, and full time 4WD,

I’ve never owned an 01 Tacoma, but it was my understanding that they did not have ATRAC, and were part time 4WD.

I’d place the 99 LX somewhere between those two stock.

Get it up to speed and use it. you will be impressed with the capability.

Get it up to speed and use it. you will be impressed with the capability.
Kinda feeling like it wasn’t worth it just because of the lack of atrac and some stuff I’ll need to do to it. Nothing major but if I invest in lockers, wheels, tires, lift, it’ll add up to a lot, so I’d rather just be careful. I thought 4000 was a pretty good deal with a decent frame for around here and no major mechanical issues

I’ve done more off-roading when my rig was stock plus 285/75 R16 tires than I have as she sits now armored/ lifted

These in stock form are impressive. Put tires on it and maintain it

Kinda feeling like it wasn’t worth it just because of the lack of atrac and some stuff I’ll need to do to it. Nothing major but if I invest in lockers, wheels, tires, lift, it’ll add up to a lot, so I’d rather just be careful. I thought 4000 was a pretty good deal with a decent frame for around here and no major mechanical issues

If all it needs is a windshield and some headrests, put AT tires on it and drive it for a few years.

These can handle a lot in stock form

Let me give a different take. Do not fix for someone else. You will not make back 1/2 the cost of parts and other your put into it. There is no way it will be a ”profit making” endeavor. Do it if you like working on cars… otherwise do the minimum to get it ready for sale and just be honest about the condition. Starting at $4k deal… there is money to be made, likely… I doubt it will grow too much, net parts and time.

Let me give a different take. Do not fix for someone else. You will not make back 1/2 the cost of parts and other your put into it. There is no way it will be a ”profit making” endeavor. Do it if you like working on cars… otherwise do the minimum to get it ready for sale and just be honest about the condition. Starting at $4k deal… there is money to be made, likely… I doubt it will grow too much, net parts and time.
+1 and, unless you're spraying it yourself, a paint job good enough for reselling will eat any imaginary profits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom