Builds LX570 - Maintain Restore and Mod (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, do you still have your automatic lowering setting on? I want to use this as well as folding mirrors but was worried I’d wear out the AHC or mirror motors. My shocks were replaced by the dealer I bought the car from (Audi) Sewell just less than 5K ago, so I’m assuming to replace the shocks they had to drain and fill the AHC fluid? Or could they have just bled the sustem and topped it off? If it’s not going to cause significant wear, I’ll do the auto lower setting, it’s definitely a nice feature!

Comfort access won't wear out your AHC! To replace the shocks you need to drain fluid off from accumulators, replace shocks and fluid, then re-bleed each corner and cycle from low to normal in between. The FSM doesn't call for it - but I've seen a couple of videos where the tech will put a couple of ounces of fluid in each new shock before connecting the hydraulic lines to make bleeding a little easier.

Comfort access won't wear out your AHC! To replace the shocks you need to drain fluid off from accumulators, replace shocks and fluid, then re-bleed each corner and cycle from low to normal in between. The FSM doesn't call for it - but I've seen a couple of videos where the tech will put a couple of ounces of fluid in each new shock before connecting the hydraulic lines to make bleeding a little easier.

Thanks for the reply brother! So in order for the Audi dealer to replace my shocks, they had to completely replace my fluid? Meaning I should have fresh fluid in the whole system at the time of shock replacement?

And the constant lift/lowering (I often make many short trips) shouldn’t wear out the accumulators either? That’s great! I’ll turn the feature on :)

Any idea about folding mirrors everytime the car locks or the front camera being set to auto? I have heard of some owners switching off the steering wheel access, though I don’t want to go to the dealer just for that.

Thanks for the reply brother! So in order for the Audi dealer to replace my shocks, they had to completely replace my fluid? Meaning I should have fresh fluid in the whole system at the time of shock replacement?

And the constant lift/lowering (I often make many short trips) shouldn’t wear out the accumulators either? That’s great! I’ll turn the feature on :)

Any idea about folding mirrors everytime the car locks or the front camera being set to auto? I have heard of some owners switching off the steering wheel access, though I don’t want to go to the dealer just for that.

Technically no - they would still need to evacuate what fluid was left in the reservoir that's behind the passenger rear wheel.

My mirrors are noisy and slow, but I plan on using them until they die ;)

Reactions: HGB
Did you ever find a place for your USB power ports? I have though of a couple locations and keep coming back to the sides/front corners of the cup holder for the front. I don't have a good solution for the 2nd row. I was thinking about pulling the control for the video display and seeing if there is room.

Thanks for the tip on the PCV.
I haven't tackled the USB power ports yet. Been traveling a lot for work and I've been hiring a few more folks for my team. So time for projects has been limited. I did order one of the tesla style control units though, once that comes in and I have the center console taken apart I'll do the USB ports at the same time.

Can you tell us the process to program the credit card key and where you bought the techstream? Dealer wants 1-2 hours of labor to program mine from my previously owned 2013 lx to my currently owned 2010
I had Techstream on a VM image on my laptop from previous cars I've had. You can download it several places on the internet. Takes some tinkering to get it all to work correctly, and you need the interface cable too.

Also, do you still have your automatic lowering setting on? I want to use this as well as folding mirrors but was worried I’d wear out the AHC or mirror motors. My shocks were replaced by the dealer I bought the car from (Audi) Sewell just less than 5K ago, so I’m assuming to replace the shocks they had to drain and fill the AHC fluid? Or could they have just bled the sustem and topped it off? If it’s not going to cause significant wear, I’ll do the auto lower setting, it’s definitely a nice feature!
Yup, I have the auto lower set on all the time, same with the mirrors. Works flawlessly everytime.

Just ordered one of these units a few days ago. I talked to their tech chat for a couple of day, and they seem confident that all factory functions will work. Including rear AC controls, factory DVD screen, all of the steering wheel functions, etc... They said they have only sold less than 5 units to so far since it is brand new, and that they just made a couple of updates to the design so mine is going to take about 3-4 weeks to arrive. I'll keep you guys updated when it arrives and I get time to tinker with it. Came out to $1150 shipped. So hopefully it's worth it.

2_7414af3d-3bbf-443c-bfbd-d1c4a768cc99_1024x1024.jpg

Just ordered one of these units a few days ago. I talked to their tech chat for a couple of day, and they seem confident that all factory functions will work. Including rear AC controls, factory DVD screen, all of the steering wheel functions, etc... They said they have only sold less than 5 units to so far since it is brand new, and that they just made a couple of updates to the design so mine is going to take about 3-4 weeks to arrive. I'll keep you guys updated when it arrives and I get time to tinker with it. Came out to $1150 shipped. So hopefully it's worth it.

View attachment 2059885

My biggest concern with all of these replacement "Tesla-style" headunits is that they take some 30+ seconds to boot up after you start the car, so not only do you not have audio during that time, but you also can't use the backup camera. If this one happens to not have that issue, please update us, because I'll be getting it in a heartbeat!

My biggest concern with all of these replacement "Tesla-style" headunits is that they take some 30+ seconds to boot up after you start the car, so not only do you not have audio during that time, but you also can't use the backup camera. If this one happens to not have that issue, please update us, because I'll be getting it in a heartbeat!
That may have been the case in old units from many many years ago. But the new ones are all pretty solid. I had an android 2din unit in my LX470 and it was up within about 2-3 seconds. If installed correctly they don't actually power completely off when you turn off the car, they go into a power saving sleep mode. And then when you start the car they pop on very quickly. Much faster than most OEM systems from my experience with a few them that owned over the last few years.

That may have been the case in old units from many many years ago. But the new ones are all pretty solid. I had an android 2din unit in my LX470 and it was up within about 2-3 seconds. If installed correctly they don't actually power completely off when you turn off the car, they go into a power saving sleep mode. And then when you start the car they pop on very quickly. Much faster than most OEM systems from my experience with a few them that owned over the last few years.

The video on that product page mentions a 20-sec startup. If the power saving feature works as you describe it, that would be fantastic!

The video on that product page mentions a 20-sec startup. If the power saving feature works as you describe it, that would be fantastic!
It did on my old one. We shall see on this one. Fingers crossed.

I haven't tackled the USB power ports yet. Been traveling a lot for work and I've been hiring a few more folks for my team. So time for projects has been limited. I did order one of the tesla style control units though, once that comes in and I have the center console taken apart I'll do the USB ports at the same time.

This has been my challenge too, wife says all yuou do is travel. "all the more miles and points for you too vacation with" ... But she kicks ass in real estate so she isn't idle. I did get an old broken cup holder and test cut a corner to see if I liked the fit and I was on the fence. I also had a concern about just crumbs etc falling in as they would be vertical.

I am looking fwd to yourTesla style display follow up posts

Interesting thread. Read the whole thing. A few questions and comments:

- Since you're in round rock, if you need any leather panels replaced, I've gotten good results from Leathermenders. They've replaced panels rather than entire seat covers for me. Console covers too.

- Does anyone know if those lexus credit card remotes can be used with a 2015 Land Cruiser?

- Where on the engine is the pcv valve located? My 15 LC is my third toyota v8 and I dont think I've ever chaged a pcv valve.

And the odd mirror/front grille cameras seem pretty pointless. Anyone found a good use case for those? Maybe I just need to get used to them.

I can’t even park without it now.

Some other goodies ready for next weekend. For now, time to have some Christmas fun with the family:

i_Kc0fKfPzrUFQDZm1QkCvRJgQWgr0SczsVbPoEMTVRPiNbSPh12RRtVuDFvWSHljVVTUGIfVTujxpso6E5iUJcV_CSdrIvmTs_mAO3masDnf9ZkqdRPVedpCMrb7P-a66R2r5T6YHc9EdC0OoHM8sSJJkpdGljxDJh7R51CyJX_ChVt9-DxTQBRbJmDRwgF4GzRwk6c4I4o4GjM7QTDFIfKeIuNSYmOKt5LCPbWZEOIelakwjwAXc6IoJnLKAsj-jUfYz3Z599kBMxpYH-Bg5bh93CfT8JFou4pQBcoMLUigqXnr3EUfFk2a8kV2YtToRI6JeqzaAZBOjuV2H2OvjGsTOsxRYQa5tLRfsyiNhGuDFTYZAgPpfjyRTSd57i6Ux6y6XTlgSh2CUz9Gz3oUmI_MZplMvoo4BwJVryiJ-ZMQ_2-7biwZ1hvHjSEwCrC7tsibBTwdRIDKbhsCVP-XupjJ4DB0YeB-4rq_to-RWQ1LuVu_X84M8Vuuq8YU0Qf9ubwjWzSibmJd6jugt7FJ3p2Q1JfE-JM6aTeOhB-aaYhWO2-ABAQbKbMxpEiMuLWkYwo54WCJm3aDDv_yxjxz-ILbsSIv1Zbp35Mrjlj9MdE37ywO5b24mlNCN2cVkiurrEx36hmPOtQxrs3HIvD7W1jAw=w1152-h1534-no

0WhbjFVqmBJXQgmAObT-jPkfxT46aPzc0QiF2hAp1GUjjJ7SHEa6--aJ7kJmnQSznVoZ_krbNoBwzBR-Qid6Uka8DY0JAaoTuyLa1d934ZdIFWy5rOQPC2OdB2I4YsdH1LXM79Mlqrtcdx8FaX0JGUh9bot4-Lk1ew7N5sh9bhttwZxXkb3V6OOHFSY6AYAfmagcLSGtqBAwuV9BDsBCNLOHbrRKvu5yG3EgiMBpgmdhP0AgxJyYrvQ-IN8vVNLabU1qhjeinnw2H3bqeUyfCCKN4_AmSmEk2d_XBGGIFn6zwGkWvIWYrCbNDUYhAnKE9y9addi4ufedOj_8FM-zKRUClhXSuIK9UiB6PbONXJRC5YLuNaAsAKBXLaIBiEUCrTJSQAwEurupOk0TOIEeNCgDB0kpZhmALDs9fdaVhyP4hRoWPNUDD-wvrUZgwSjLniJvVberoMBCtaToTmQZo06bicTJVgo5LxbFGA_gI9SvGBltK6L151zjhxl4KheSB2SDnz6gdG1IVQcGjrKURiW4BJ11XTubHHLpwFDHQ7-ZBHair77iSxaZs9ykkbdieU0_vAZNnkFndsRz5zlv1MyMrWMUZosjs0KEztHR_z4sfVLdE26VkWROM4-CY3au6-Nx_pYcCWlQePoUlqIS3FovQQ=w1152-h1534-no

WYT8e_BsPWiPBkiGVs0g5IV0tIF7Ztxg33izFEqcCiOLm1yZcrRA9jRjdEgDEnIWDTWYavgfi9e5bJ-bMwH_M5Oo_1Vi7_JKZp-hgoypqRBn0fOfjr639wbR-m4TuAqHmP96mxcQofC4dMg4DOzRV5afCjsXsv3C-YFXuCvySnpFcUkh51Ri81AbY-HcxPumCpTunBVeq1n6dddsW8JcapoC-SWKixGs_pnvmS6WzTbeO4jUGgm5glToHJjdw3F5h28i0wmq_ZOmyhjAEXuTwTIw-eyNCMjrzsVXOOVFJhaqPI04022OgLfJpJuBwagNmX8yiVDjlVMhZVkGTEA1wiGfTnbEwhYeKGe80cLQQfgOxpvc7ltRq1hloKAP7R_AiL2STW4XnL27OUXiC31AnYgKcEF5i_Ppta7NlvvEpDyce_AtirNfddmVICMrySBnlXuzRQUFd2j7J7KnR7WwFe09DGUVhf1iDlWtVDct-CmHNQF4_Td3GgfUvYG1p021VMIKdiQmZHIWuYxwyOpQ-RrwMCkfd_z0tFt3KKTZ8Y3I9YGxUet2Pkl1OKPZ5PiG3Ecu11iG3lY3s1Nx1yXxrUJFuiyxTDeL5h4qHkRtpTRZCIpWdVHTnT71YGZRWnTTMuc2_arHvVFU0ENezF94AFG-lQ=w1152-h1534-no
That 0w-40 is great oil. How does the 5.7 deal with it? I ask because my previous Toyota, an ‘07 4.0l 4Runner was very fussy. Any oil that was too high, even slightly too high in viscosity seemed to mess with the VVTi*. It would get huge flat spots in the power and feel sick. (It fussed about filters too.) It had to have a filter it liked and nothing heavier than a premium 10w-30. It seemed to run best on a good 5w-30.

*That’s my assumption/W.A.G. I tried Eneos and a few others with no success. Anything with a top number over 30 an it was a sick pig. Living in the SE US I had hope to run something like a Xw-40 in the summer. The coldest start would’ve occurred at 55F.

I’m a huge fan of the lowering when parking. I don’t worry about cycles/wearing it out. IMHO it is well within the design parameters. Do change the fluid as recommended, 60k I believe.

The camera in auto shouldn’t wear anything. That’s 100% electronic/solid-state (no moving parts). I am running mine in auto, love it.

The mirrors, IMHO, can cycle X number of times. I have chosen to not have those in AUTO. Personal preference but I don’t want to have a mirror fail at 250k or whenever. I am ok with spending money to keep things right but buying a mirror because I needed it to fold 1 in 10x it actually folded is not ok for me.

I have tech stream software on order. One of the things I will shutoff is the steering wheel moving. I love being able to adjust it and want it to work forever. I think I’m targeting 400k for my LX🙂

Last edited:

View attachment 2059885

Very curious how this pans out. I've been following several threads on GX and LX "tesla" displays. None of them seem to be there yet. My biggest concern in the display quality. As far as I can tell, none of these can cope with high and low temperatures well. You might want to put yours in a freezer for a while and power it up before going through the trouble of hooking it all up. It would suck having a black screen for the first 20 minutes every time you have a cold morning.

Interesting thread. Read the whole thing. A few questions and comments:

- Since you're in round rock, if you need any leather panels replaced, I've gotten good results from Leathermenders. They've replaced panels rather than entire seat covers for me. Console covers too.

- Does anyone know if those lexus credit card remotes can be used with a 2015 Land Cruiser?

- Where on the engine is the pcv valve located? My 15 LC is my third toyota v8 and I dont think I've ever chaged a pcv valve.
I've heard of Leathermenders, but haven't used them before. I'll definitely check them out next time. Pretty sure the credit card FOB works with the 2015+ as well, but you should confirm the number on it to make sure you grab the right one so it works with your particular alarm. PCV is on the front of the engine, google some photos, it's easy to locate.

That 0w-40 is great oil. How does the 5.7 deal with it? I ask because my previous Toyota, an ‘07 4.0l 4Runner was very fussy. Any oil that was too high, even slightly too high in viscosity seemed to mess with the VVTi*. It would get huge flat spots in the power and feel sick. (It fussed about filters too.) It had to have a filter it liked and nothing heavier than a premium 10w-30. It seemed to run best on a good 5w-30.

*That’s my assumption/W.A.G. I tried Eneos and a few others with no success. Anything with a top number over 30 an it was a sick pig. Living in the SE US I had hope to run something like a Xw-40 in the summer. The coldest start would’ve occurred at 55F.
It's been great so far. I've been through 2 oil changes on that oil and haven't seen any issues. It does better under load than the factory spec oil. Idle is smooth, very smooth acceleration, smooth throttle transitions, etc...

Very curious how this pans out. I've been following several threads on GX and LX "tesla" displays. None of them seem to be there yet. My biggest concern in the display quality. As far as I can tell, none of these can cope with high and low temperatures well. You might want to put yours in a freezer for a while and power it up before going through the trouble of hooking it all up. It would suck having a black screen for the first 20 minutes every time you have a cold morning.
Good points. I'll run it through some testing once it comes in and I get it installed.

IMG_20190823_201818.jpg

It's in. Didn't take long to install. I'll post more photos and thoughts on the system in a couple days.

MVIMG_20190826_074557.jpg

Split screen works really well once you get the hang of it. Both Waze and Google Maps work great. I have my Pandora & Youtube Music apps on there and they are working well too. I'm still poking around and getting used to the interface. I'll post my thoughts in depth once I get some more seat time with the unit.

View attachment 2067936

Split screen works really well once you get the hang of it. Both Waze and Google Maps work great. I have my Pandora & Youtube Music apps on there and they are working well too. I'm still poking around and getting used to the interface. I'll post my thoughts in depth once I get some more seat time with the unit.

Looks great. Definitely brings the LX into the 21st century aesthetically.

Looks great. Definitely brings the LX into the 21st century aesthetically.
Agreed, gives the interior an entirely new feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom