Goose Poop - my '95 LS swap project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm running the stock Holden tune in mine and 6 years later its still running like a dream. Havent put a spanner on it (the engine) since the conversion.

Got past the other priorities this evening and separated the transfer case from the trans. So crusty.
1601954777297.jpeg

Slightly less poopy with Jaguar seats. I see seat brackets in my future. Get the funk out.
1602289877370.jpeg

The computer will need to know the input and output of the tranny. If you didn't get a 2wd 4l80e, I am pretty confident you'll have to put a reluctor ring in the bottom of the trans. It's at least a question I would ask Holley before getting too far down the road. A stock ECU is a must.

The good new is, it isn't that difficult to pull the guts and put it all back together and the ring is only $35. My notes from doing it....

Okay, a few months later I did the homework to understand what @lazy meant by this. For posterity:

The Holley Terminator X Max transmission control harness has three plugs for the trans: a main plug, a turbine speed sensor, and a vehicle speed sensor. If you have a 4l80e from a 4wd, as Marks recommends, it won't have a VSS or the requisite reluctor ring. A 2wd transmission will, but you'll need to cut the output shaft to size or install another shaft.

The Novak Guide to the GM 4L80E Automatic Transmission - https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/automatic/4l80e/
1612797912500.png

In the picture above, the turbine speed sensor is in the middle of the trans, and the VSS is close to the tail shaft. The main plug is under the VSS.

Here's a guy on YouTube installing the reluctor:

I'm going to take my 4L80e to a transmission shop today and have them install one, plus give its internals a once-over since it's new to me.

1612797957390.png

Last edited:
Okay, a few months later I did the homework to understand what @lazy meant by this. For posterity:

The Holley Terminator X Max transmission control harness has three plugs for the trans: a main plug, a turbine speed sensor, and a vehicle speed sensor. If you have a 4l80e from a 4wd, as Marks recommends, it won't have a VSS or the requisite reluctor ring. A 2wd transmission will, but you'll need to cut the output shaft to size or install another shaft.

The Novak Guide to the GM 4L80E Automatic Transmission - https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/automatic/4l80e/
View attachment 2579356

Here's a guy on YouTube installing the reluctor:

I'm going to take my 4L80e to a transmission shop today and have them install one, plus give its internals a once-over since it's new to me.

View attachment 2579357

See I am confused here. Is it saying a 91-96 4wd has the sensor needed. And 97 up needs it installed ? I have a 91-96 4wd model 4l80e It has both sensors pictured above.

See I am confused here. Is it saying a 91-96 4wd has the sensor needed. And 97 up needs it installed ? I have a 91-96 4wd model 4l80e It has both sensors pictured above.
Sounds like you're good to go.

In 97+ they moved the VSS to the transfer case.

Goose Poop has moved on. I'm not going to get it done anytime soon, and my new friend Marvin (who was second in line to buy this truck last year) reached out to check on my progress. He can use it, so he picked it up today.

I'll keep all this swap stuff and get there eventually with another truck.

@JohnnyFish I'm having a hard time deciding on motor mounts. I like the idea of the ones from The Landcruiser Shop, but they aren't adjustable. If they've found the perfect placement, that's fine, but it seems like a big if. They also don't use the OEM LS mounts, which I've heard suggested repeatedly. Do you have any opinions on this?

@JohnnyFish I'm having a hard time deciding on motor mounts. I like the idea of the ones from The Landcruiser Shop, but they aren't adjustable. If they've found the perfect placement, that's fine, but it seems like a big if. They also don't use the OEM LS mounts, which I've heard suggested repeatedly. Do you have any opinions on this?

I believe (and Jonathan Ward has said this on his videos) the best option is to use OEM mounts and fabricate a connection from them to the LC frame. The vibration isolation engineering that went into those GM mounts can't be duplicated. Of course this method requires custom fabrication by someone who can cut, shape and weld thick steel plate. I don't have a 220 welder.

The LCS mounts that I bought are very well designed and built, and they do provide for a bit of adjustment. I recommend them if you don't want to go the custom fab route.

I believe (and Jonathan Ward has said this on his videos) the best option is to use OEM mounts and fabricate a connection from them to the LC frame. The vibration isolation engineering that went into those GM mounts can't be duplicated. Of course this method requires custom fabrication by someone who can cut, shape and weld thick steel plate. I don't have a 220 welder.

The LCS mounts that I bought are very well designed and built, and they do provide for a bit of adjustment. I recommend them if you don't want to go the custom fab route.

I appreciate the feedback. Fabrication is definitely do-able, just trying to take the easy route where it makes sense :)

Have you seen anyone else on here who used the mounts from The Landcruiser Shop?

I appreciate the feedback. Fabrication is definitely do-able, just trying to take the easy route where it makes sense :)

Have you seen anyone else on here who used the mounts from The Landcruiser Shop?
No, but that doesn't mean much. : )

If I recall correctly they only came out with them last year.

Just found this thread today & secretly was hoping LS swap in 1st batch pics/backstory of the 1FZ.

Bummer you didn’t finish it out, but I’m as guilty as anyone on a 1/2 finished project.

I’d love a stout motor, some other axles & bigger brakes to make a 80 a single-vehicle solution that even included towing.
Only reason I bothered buying the Tundra 5.7 -was the 80 just wasn’t quite up to hauling the boat well & braking responsibly on highways.

Too bad the 3UR is so wide, would be neat to see a 3UR’d 80.

@cruisermatt makes what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom