Goose Lake Overnight July 28-29 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alrighty gang, time to head to the Beartooths!!!
Next weekend, July 28-29, we will go to Goose Lake. The area we're talking about is just east of Cooke City so the quickest and most direct way to get there is through Yellowstone Park. So this route will require a park pass, $35 for a week pass, and travel time will be slightly unpredictable. There is also road construction, chipsealing, between Cooke and Tower junction to potentially add more drive-time. So the other option is to do Beartooth Pass heading through Red Lodge and coming to Cooke City from the East. If you haven't ever done this I highly recommend it but you're adding a lot of time to get to Cooke. So the recommendation, and convoy route, will be through the park.
We will have a meetup point in Cooke City Saturday morning, say 10 am. Cooke isn't very big so it'll be hard to miss people but let's shoot for near the gas station, corner of Eaton and Main St. That gives folks the option of heading down Friday night and camping, lots of campgrounds and dispersed camping on Daisy/Lulu, or heading down Saturday morning. For those leaving Saturday morning let's do a 6-6:30 meetup at Target which should get everyone to Cooke at 10.

So the plan is to do the loop around Daisy and Lulu pass and go up to Sheep Mountain then head up the trail to Goose Lake. Depending on group size and conditions I expect we will want to camp at Star Lake rather than up at Goose Lake but we'll make that call up there. Then Sunday will be time to wander around and make our way back home.
Plan for a unsupported weekend on food/water/camping/supplies. Cooke has services but it's spendy and once we leave there's nothing. Also the "Bear" in Beartooths is accurate so bear spray and proper food storage is important. And don't forget some warm clothes for the overnight!

So who's coming??? And when are you planning to leave??

Friday night:
@MontanaLax (tentative)
@elkun1
@MTyota
@adventurefamly
@RoverChris

Saturday morning:

@thetoyotaman (tentative)

NOTE: I forgot to mention comms: Ch. 16 CB, 146.460 Ham

Last edited:
Here's a shot of Star Lake from 2016

Star Lake.jpg

I'm in, will probably leave Fri. morning and be a tourist. When do you figure on being in Cooke on Fri.

Heck yeah looking forward to it. I'm going to try and leave Friday just not sure what time. If able to leave early enough on Friday would like to do a day hike into Fox and Rock islsnd lakes by Cooke city maybe more if time permits. If anyone else is interested your welcome to join.

I won't be leaving till after work Friday, likely 6:30-7... So I won't be down to Cooke till late.

Here’s my blog post from when we went on this trail last year. Should help convince anyone on the fence about going that they need to make it. Definitely one of my favorite trails.

Trail Ride – Lulu Pass & Goose Lake

Can’t make it but have fun guys!

I missed it last year with the group and will have to work and miss it again. I did that area the next Tuesday with the dogs and had a great view from over 10k feet so be ready to take some pictures from up on Sheep mountain. Take binoculars and a spotting scope.

Keep a clean camp, no food or trash bags outside at night. Trash-a-roo type of things work great but need to be inside at night.
Do not put food scraps in the fire. Your portable BBQ must be inside at night. These are just a couple of thing the NFS officer is going to check on in any bear area or were ever they want to enforce and write a ticket.
Bear spray has already been mentioned.
Bug spray.

I am gonna miss this trip but look forward to the Morrison next month.

Here’s my blog post from when we went on this trail last year. Should help convince anyone on the fence about going that they need to make it. Definitely one of my favorite trails.

Trail Ride – Lulu Pass & Goose Lake

Can’t make it but have fun guys!

Great blog post and very accurate description of events. It was a good time with you, Johnny, Jason, TC (even though he had to bail on the first day) and then Larry arriving the second day. It seems the entire trail is rock so it makes for some very slow-going but well worth it. As Aaron mentions, the rocks get bigger the closer to the lake you get. I had just installed a steel steering guard the week prior to the trip and then after we returned I was inspecting everything underneath later in the week and discovered that a rock had actually put a dent/pushed up a section of the steel plate...so yes, there's rocks there!

I'm going on the trip, just not decided yet on what day to head there. I'm off work Friday so I could leave then if anyone wants to convoy out together? Just get back to me.

Not going to make it but this is a great trail. I proposed to my soon to be wife at star lake last year.
The hike up to grasshopper glacier is pretty. Steep but short.
Guilt trip time: if any one besides Brian would have shown up to the national public lands day clean up last year you'd have a couple free passes to get through the park!

Not going to make it but this is a great trail. I proposed to my soon to be wife at star lake last year.
Guilt trip time: if any one besides Brian would have shown up to the national public lands day clean up last year you'd have a couple free passes to get through the park!
I just dug out those passes and have them all ready to go!!! Money in the bank!!

Dang, I was sick with the flu that weekend.

So looks like Bryan & Fam (@adventurefamly) and I will convoy together later in the day on Friday. Anyone else planning to leave later on Friday from Bozeman that wants to join? Let us know.

Chris, I'm planning on leaving friday am. Will be a slow trip with me as I'm gonna be a tourist and am looking for critters, plus (in my best Randy Quaid impersonation) will be in my RVeeeee.
"Now don't go fallin' in love with it 'cause we are going to take it when we leave next month!"

Looking into if I can go and wondering if any of you happen to have one of those four bolt hitch receiver’s that would bolt to the back of my 100? Considering going this weekend and possibly putting a hitch carrier for more gear on my rig. Thanks!

"Now don't go fallin' in love with it 'cause we are going to take it when we leave next month!"

They had to replace my metal plate with a plastic one. Every time Catherine would rev up the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour.

Last edited:
I'm planning on leaving kinda early tomorrow, unless I stay up and watch the Griswold's ., Not sure where I'm going to camp at as I haven't been to Cooke City for probably 20 years and I have problems remembering what I did yesterday. I'll be in the green 40 with the trailer. I'll be monitoring 16 and 146.460. I'm going thru the park so if you see me along the road, wave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom