Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In more exciting news I received a package from Slee last week that is moving the 80 forward.

tempImage3sfUG6.png

How big of a lift did the stage 3 Icons end up getting you

Nice read on your build!

It's been nice to see how things have evolved over time and after each trip evaluating what worked and what didn't to get to the next step.

Nothing too over-the-top about any one thing.

Very nice job!

I like the look!

Excellent work! I need to get going on mine a bit more. That GG setup looks great!

Nice read on your build!

It's been nice to see how things have evolved over time and after each trip evaluating what worked and what didn't to get to the next step.

Nothing too over-the-top about any one thing.

Very nice job!

I like the look!
Thanks, I appreciate that. Just trying to make a rig that meets my needs and fine tune along the way. Attempting to keep it as minimalist as possible.

Recently relocated my Maxtrax to the rear tire carrier. Preferred them out of the way on the roof rack. However I could not pull the 80 into the garage with them up there - something I wanted to do. To the carrier they went. (Yes, I have raised them so they don’t drag so low now.)

5EF18DF9-F10C-42D6-B9EF-94B166387941.jpeg

In other parts of the build I finally got the solar panel mounted. I really wanted this more for disaster preparedness than overlanding. Between having shore power and never staying in one place for more than one night I always have plenty of power while camping. Living in The People‘s Republic of California rolling blackouts are becoming commonplace in the summer, unfortunately.
6A7CBC89-E477-4658-A2F1-9A300EB0129A.jpeg

Well this happened. Coming back from Prescott, Arizona the motor blew on the GG80. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to replace the engine right now. I will have to wait until next year to tackle this massive job. Doing the preliminary work on an LS swap. Initially thought that I could put the LS3 e-rod long block crate motor in it and be CARB compliant here in California. After some leg work I discovered that this motor is only certified for pre OBD II motors, or 95' and before. Mine is a 96'. After looking at the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) website I will have to find a donor vehicle to transfer everything from. If anyone out there knows a good LS motor to put into it that will be CARB compliant in California and what vehicles have it, I would appreciate the help. I am not looking for a monster motor, I would be fine with something in the 300-400+ hp range.

tempImagejmLnD0.jpg

Well this happened. Coming back from Prescott, Arizona the motor blew on the GG80. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to replace the engine right now. I will have to wait until next year to tackle this massive job. Doing the preliminary work on an LS swap. Initially thought that I could put the LS3 e-rod long block crate motor in it and be CARB compliant here in California. After some leg work I discovered that this motor is only certified for pre OBD II motors, or 95' and before. Mine is a 96'. After looking at the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) website I will have to find a donor vehicle to transfer everything from. If anyone out there knows a good LS motor to put into it that will be CARB compliant in California and what vehicles have it, I would appreciate the help. I am not looking for a monster motor, I would be fine with something in the 300-400+ hp range.

View attachment 2679820
Bummer. I'm not any help on the LS info you're looking for but hope you find what you're looking for.

After doing the homework, I found out that doing a California legal LS swap was going to be next to impossible on my 80. I ended up ordering a new FZ-FE short block from Olathe Toyota. I didn't think I would be able to get one because I thought there were no more left. Turns out there are five left and one of them is in transit with my name on it. I should get my hands on the motor by the third week of June. 🤞 From there I will take it to my mechanic and have him install it. I'm also thinking about getting a new cylinder head for it. I need to get some $ for that.

After doing the homework, I found out that doing a California legal LS swap was going to be next to impossible on my 80. I ended up ordering a new FZ-FE short block from Olathe Toyota. I didn't think I would be able to get one because I thought there were no more left. Turns out there are five left and one of them is in transit with my name on it. I should get my hands on the motor by the third week of June. 🤞 From there I will take it to my mechanic and have him install it. I'm also thinking about getting a new cylinder head for it. I need to get some $ for that.
I lived in Olathe and remember that Toyota dealership, great that they are still working with cruiser parts so heavily. Hope you get it sorted, any details of what happened to the engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom