Google maps - accessing AZBDR maps offline (no cell signal) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
This is a quick refresher for those of you joining us on the AZBDR trip coming up next week. I encourage all participants to learn how to use Google map offline. You can also download the waypoints and routes from https://ridebdr.com/AZBDR, click on the "download GPS tracks" and save it on your computer someplace. Later, I'll show you how to import the AZBDR tracks into your google map.

First, let's download the portion of Google map of the area in AZ where we'll be playing. At your house, when you're connected to WIFI, do either of the two procedures below for your phone. It's easier to do this on wifi vs over cellular data connection due to higher download speeds at home or work.

Android: Download areas and navigate offline - Android - Google Maps Help
Apple: Download areas and navigate offline - iPhone & iPad - Google Maps Help

After saving the part of the map as shown above, you can now use google map while out of cell range during our trip. You'll be able to see your blue icon moving around on a map with all of the features that you normally see on GMap but this time, you'll be "offline".

However, if you wanna be a nerd like me, then you can also import the AZBDR GPS tracks into your google map. This will allow you to see the actual route while you're out of cell range. I'll be doing this import process into my phone as well as my navigational laptop.

This is easier to do when you're on a computer then to do it on your phone because I'm old and cranky. But the instructions below are good for computer, Android or Apple:

I have created a google map of our meeting place and the AZBDR trail. If you want it, I can send it to you via email. All you have to do is open it using google map on your phone, then save it under "my maps".

Note: the AZBDR trail was created by dual sport moto people so they have optional routes for easy or hard. They're trying to accomodate novice riders so that they can avoid deep sand crossings or technical sections. As some of you may know, dumping one of these bikes on the trail is PITA to upright. There is a good chance I'll delete these "easy" routes in order to avoid confusion while navigating the terrain. This will de-clutter the AZBDR trail map in the process.

Let me know if you have issues!

I remember you talking about this on the NMBDR. I will try it. Also, I will have the route loaded using traditional methods in my Garmin.

I remember you talking about this on the NMBDR. I will try it. Also, I will have the route loaded using traditional methods in my Garmin.

Larry had to do this as he was driving to our meetup spot. If he didn't have the offline maps loaded before leaving cell range, he would've had a difficult time finding us at midnight! Without the offline map roads and landmarks, all he would see are the long/lat coordinates on a blank screen.

Larry had to do this as he was driving to our meetup spot. If he didn't have the offline maps loaded before leaving cell range, he would've had a difficult time finding us at midnight! Without the offline map roads and landmarks, all he would see are the long/lat coordinates in a blank screen.

I will also have my inReach. It comes with offline maps that I've loaded on my tablet and phone. But, I'm not sure if I can upload the GPX file to it. I need to try for chuckles.

Pappy,

Please post up if you run into gotchas so that others can learn from you! Thx.

Pappy,

Please post up if you run into gotchas so that others can learn from you! Thx.

Well, here is the deal. Yes, you can upload "offline" maps to a phone, tablet, or notebook. I had to break it up into three files on the tablet. But, you cannot upload the GPX or KML tracks to the Androids, only to PCs. So, for me it's not worth it.

You can upload offline KML files to Google Earth. But, Earth will not work without a connection in the boonies.

Personally, I think we should just toss this to @juane and let him figure it out.

FWIW, I use The Gaia GPS App. It imports .gpx well. The premium membership is a bit much, but works well offline. You can download the area while connected. Once out of cell signal, I link my phone via Bluetooth to either my inReach or Icom for GPS.

It’s been a minute, but I believe you can load all of the .gpx on a desktop with your profile, and download on your device when ready.

Once out of cell signal, I link my phone via Bluetooth to either my inReach or Icom for GPS.
Earthmate app for the inReach works nicely as a standalone mapping app. It doesnt require a connection to the inReach.

Well, here is the deal. Yes, you can upload "offline" maps to a phone, tablet, or notebook. I had to break it up into three files on the tablet. But, you cannot upload the GPX or KML tracks to the Androids, only to PCs. So, for me it's not worth it.

You can upload offline KML files to Google Earth. But, Earth will not work without a connection in the boonies.

Personally, I think we should just toss this to @juane and let him figure it out.

That's interesting news. I do all importing into Google map using the computer so that all heavy lifting isn't done on a phone/tablet. Guess I don't have the patience to deal with phones/tablets these days! Once the track log is imported into GMap using a computer, using GMap offline using a phone/tablet is easy peasy for me.

Once the track log is imported into GMap using a computer, using GMap offline using a phone/tablet is easy peasy for me.
The larger screen will be an advantage.

Earthmate app for the inReach works nicely as a standalone mapping app. It doesnt require a connection to the inReach.

I have Earthmate and All Trails too, but I’ve been using Gaia almost exclusively. Overlaying the USGS Topo and/or the NatGeo Trails maps over satellite imagery is the feature that has me hooked.

The larger screen will be an advantage.

I'm still not willing to move to a tablet from my laptop, old habits die hard I guess. I'll work on moving myself over to a 10" android tablet eventually, with a BT keyboard for the times I need to type extensively. The tablet would open up the limited cab space a bit for the passenger.

I will also have my inReach. It comes with offline maps that I've loaded on my tablet and phone. But, I'm not sure if I can upload the GPX file to it. I need to try for chuckles.

Donedeal. Once I figured it out it was not hard.

Any tips or tricks people need to be aware of?

Well, this would only work for those folks with an inReach. If anybody is running the inReach with the Garmin Earthmate app I can certainly walk them through importing the GPX route.

I did "play" with the route yesterday. Not perfect, but works. Because of size limits, and the fact that the AZBDR GPX file is huge, the route is simplified with fewer track points. This makes it goofy at turns.

I thought you were referring to importing GPX into GMap not the InReach deal.

I really like Gaia both on the iPAD Mini in the truck and on my phone on the bike.
Avenza is a great complement to Gaia.
Sometimes I have both apps running concurrently with different data sets (USGS on Gaia and Forest Service on Avenza).

Bringing this up to top so that the NMBDR folks can get a refresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom