goodyear insta-grip air hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone used Insta-grip air hose? If so what did you think of it. Looking for the good, the bad, the ugly. What are the fittings like, special barb?

I could be mistaken, but I think "Insta-Grip" is Goodyear's name for what other mfg's call "Push-Loc" or "Barb-tite" hose and fittings. If I'm correct then yes, it's a special barb, but they're not hard to find.

So has has anyone used any of these special barb hoses? I am looking for real world experience.

I used them for years on my old work's engine dyno and on their hot gas turbo testing system. I ran hot (~200*f) and room temp diesel fuel through it, gasoline through it, hot engine oil through it (80-100 psi), and hot and cold water through it. Many years prior to that a friend used them for the engine oil filter & cooler plumbing on his fiberglass buggy. He never had a problem with it holding 80-100 psi cold oil pressure. My 60's whole fuel system is plumbed with the Aeroquip version of the same hose and fittings. Search out the thread on the MAF trans - t/c oil transfer kit. They use this same type of hose and fitting between the two drain plugs. This is an industrial solution that only recently has started to be used in vehicular applications.

Look into the hose system's ratings. The hose is usually rated to 250 psi in the -6 (3/8") size when used on the correct fittings, and either 250*f or 300*f.

Something to know about these fittings, DO NOT use a hose clamp with them. Just don't. You'll actually cause a leak rather than prevent one. The barbs on the fittings are sharp enough to cut the hose liner under the clamp, and then you'll have trouble. If going clamp-less really bothers you then put a snug - not tight - tie-wrap between the barbs of the fitting. The hose does a "chinese finger trap" kind of thing on the fittings. Putting the tie-wrap there keep the hose from being able to expand and come off the fitting. I honestly can't conceive of how it could ever expand enough to come off of the fittings, but on some of the critical hoses on the dyno and test stand I did do this - just in case. I've thought about it for my own fuel system, but I don't think it's needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom