Goodyear Duratrac or BFG KM2? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am buying a set of tires this week for my new-to-me 97 FZJ80. I am torn between the Goodyear Duratrac and BFG KM2.. I know one is MT and one is more of a AT. I will be mostly driving on road (mostly wet road living in Oregon) with occasional driving on trails.. I know that the duratrac is probably the "better" choice for me but the KM2 just looks badass on 80 IMHO.. I've been reading about the duratrac and seems like that its got thin/weaker sidewall? How does the KM2 perform on wet roads, snow and maybe Ice compare to duratrac? If the BFG KM2s are pretty good on wet/dry (occasionally snowy) roads, I would rather just get that.. but if the KM2s are pretty on Wet/dry/occasionally snow roads, I may just get the duratracs.. I'd like to hear from anyone here who uses these tires.

Thanks in advance.

MT tires are great in deep, soft snow. Not so great when that snow gets packed down and turns to ice sheet. That's where the siping of a dedicated snow or tire designated as such with the Mountain Snowflake symbol comes in handy. Duratrac has this rating. KM2 does not.

I just purchased Duratracs, not yet installed for living up here in the Colorado High Country. Long term plan is to go back to dedicated snows for winter use in a year and then buy some tall skinny MTs to run in the summer. On the budget right now, the Duratrac gives the best of both worlds and is more likely to keep me rubber side down and out of the ditch during the icy winter months.

I actually just switched from KM2s to Duratracs at the beginning of the summer. The difference in on road handling was absolutely night and day. Granted, the KM2s were worn, but the noise and ride quality improved immensely with the Duratracs. When I first backed out of the tire shop, I thought I wasn't actually moving the difference was so great - and that's just at low speeds. At higher speeds, the Duratracs are way quieter than the KM2s. If you're doing hardcore stuff, the KM2s are definitely better - the larger lugs just grip rocks and release mud more effectively. In deep powder (like several feet), I think they would also have the advantage because of their greater ability to "claw" through the snow. However, in normal road snow conditions, where water and ice are involved, they are horrible (at least in my experience). I slid to a stop at nearly every stop sign last winter (when other cars had no problems stopping), and had no traction on ice whatsoever. The Duratracs seem to be a lot better in these types of conditions because of the sipping and smaller tread with more frequently spaced/smaller lugs to allow water to evacuate the contact patch between the tire and the road/ice/packed snow/whatever.

Also, while the Duratrac isn't as aggressive looking as the KM2, it's still pretty aggressive looking, especially for an AT.

All of this is just my opinion and experience, so please take it with a grain of salt. Both are great tires, just for different purposes. I'm mostly driving on the highway right now, with a bit of wheeling interspersed on the weekends, so the Duratracs made a lot more sense for me. Hope it helps!:cheers:

I actually just switched from KM2s to Duratracs at the beginning of the summer. The difference in on road handling was absolutely night and day. Granted, the KM2s were worn, but the noise and ride quality improved immensely with the Duratracs. When I first backed out of the tire shop, I thought I wasn't actually moving the difference was so great - and that's just at low speeds. At higher speeds, the Duratracs are way quieter than the KM2s. If you're doing hardcore stuff, the KM2s are definitely better - the larger lugs just grip rocks and release mud more effectively. In deep powder (like several feet), I think they would also have the advantage because of their greater ability to "claw" through the snow. However, in normal road snow conditions, where water and ice are involved, they are horrible (at least in my experience). I slid to a stop at nearly every stop sign last winter (when other cars had no problems stopping), and had no traction on ice whatsoever. The Duratracs seem to be a lot better in these types of conditions because of the sipping and smaller tread with more frequently spaced/smaller lugs to allow water to evacuate the contact patch between the tire and the road/ice/packed snow/whatever.

Also, while the Duratrac isn't as aggressive looking as the KM2, it's still pretty aggressive looking, especially for an AT.

All of this is just my opinion and experience, so please take it with a grain of salt. Both are great tires, just for different purposes. I'm mostly driving on the highway right now, with a bit of wheeling interspersed on the weekends, so the Duratracs made a lot more sense for me. Hope it helps!:cheers:

I just did more reading about these tires.. and it seems like I am leaning towards the Duratrac. I am planing to get the 285/75 R16 and I didn't know that this size tires are consider on/off road "commercial" tires.. the max psi is 80! I don't think I've ever own tires that the max psi is more than 50psi.. I've had a set of duratrac on my previous 92 FJ80 and was able to experience driving it on snow last winter and it did really awesome, I'm just concern about duratrac's toughness and long jegevity compare to KM2.

Never had a set of Duratracs, so can't offer any comparisons. Lots of experience with BFG all the way back to the original Radial All-Terrain. Wet and icy performance has always been challenging for the BFGs. That said, the KM2 is a considerable improvement in this department over its predecessors, with the softer compound being a big part of the improvement.

But it is designed for maximum off-road performance and is a tire you need to pay attention to when in those compromising conditions. Water's not too bad, but ice can be a handful if you don't pay attention. So I'm used to the tire and don't find this to be a big issue, simply adjusting my driving to suit the conditions. The 80 is no sports car. And the skinny version is about the most versatile tire I've ever experienced. Add or subtract air pressure to get maximum performance from them according to load and conditions. BFG has never failed to get me home and that in itself says a lot about a tire I've been using in one flavor or another for nearly 40 years now.

I just did more reading about these tires.. and it seems like I am leaning towards the Duratrac. I am planing to get the 285/75 R16 and I didn't know that this size tires are consider on/off road "commercial" tires.. the max psi is 80! I don't think I've ever own tires that the max psi is more than 50psi.. I've had a set of duratrac on my previous 92 FJ80 and was able to experience driving it on snow last winter and it did really awesome, I'm just concern about duratrac's toughness and long jegevity compare to KM2.

The range of inflation pressures available with the KM2 in the 33" flavors is actually a good thing. It seems to work best with the 255/85R16 version, because the aspect ratio works really well. I tend to run mine around town at 45 psi. Loaded for long trips, I usually set them somewhere just over 50 pounds. On the trail, I typically run them around 30. I haven't needed to run these air down low, but they're good to 15 pounds and the really brave have been known to go lower. Get a decent air pump and you can dial in a pressure that works well for just about anything.

Truck weight is something of a factor (ours is right at 6,000 lbs), but these tires have lots of extra rated capacity, so you don't need to run them at high pressures, it's just an option.

Love my DT's - on my 3rd set and about to get my 4th unless I jump to Toyo's...... they handle well around town with minimla noise or rumble yet have enough traction for most needs offroad and look great....

E

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're comparing an AT (Duratrac) to an MT (KM2). If you want to make a like kind comparison you should probably look into the new BFG KO2 which is an AT coming out next month.

Personally, I'm over BFG regardless of AT or MT. Goodyear makes great tires.
I've gone through at least 3 sets of BFG AT, one set of BFG MT, and my LX450 came with almost new KM2s that I couldn't wait to get rid of. They absolutely suck when it gets wet and have a horrible on road ride. Both of my 80s now run Duratracs for street use. My daughter's 80 has 285/75R16 and my LX450 has 315/75R16. You need to pay attention to load rating and air pressure on the Duratracs as they have a high load rating (E).
I wouldn't run the DTs in the woods, but I live in the northeast and have Swampers for that. If you can only run 1 tire and want one that does well in all conditions, then I recommend the Goodyear MTR.

I'm on my second set of Duratracs right now. I haven't had any complaints about them and get about 60000 miles out of them. However, like @bmac1996acc said, you're comparing apples to oranges. For your described driving conditions, I would go with the Duratracs.

Personally, I'm over BFG regardless of AT or MT. Goodyear makes great tires.
I've gone through at least 3 sets of BFG AT, one set of BFG MT, and my LX450 came with almost new KM2s that I couldn't wait to get rid of. They absolutely suck when it gets wet and have a horrible on road ride. Both of my 80s now run Duratracs for street use. My daughter's 80 has 285/75R16 and my LX450 has 315/75R16. You need to pay attention to load rating and air pressure on the Duratracs as they have a high load rating (E).
I wouldn't run the DTs in the woods, but I live in the northeast and have Swampers for that. If you can only run 1 tire and want one that does well in all conditions, then I recommend the Goodyear MTR.

All good points. After my last few wheeling trips and watching the guy with MTR's, I have decided they will be my next tire. All running 15 PSI on the trail, the MTR's just seemed to hook up better.

I had 35" KM2's on my Rubicon and absolutely loved them. They handled everything I threw at them. I put 20k miles on them in just over a year, including multiple camping/wheeling trips. Most tires, other than a dedicated snow tire, aren't that great in winter. The KM2's did fantastic for me through Michigan winter. Also, the 80 is a pig...the ass end is not going to slide around on you because it's wet outside and you're rocking MT's. Make it look good :)

I had 35" KM2's on my Rubicon and absolutely loved them. They handled everything I threw at them. I put 20k miles on them in just over a year, including multiple camping/wheeling trips. Most tires, other than a dedicated snow tire, aren't that great in winter. The KM2's did fantastic for me through Michigan winter. Also, the 80 is a pig...the ass end is not going to slide around on you because it's wet outside and you're rocking MT's. Make it look good :)

I'm not sure what that last line means. I picked up my LX450 last February in Phoenix and drove it back to Jersey on almost new KM2s. I had every kind of weather on the way back and kept them on until this past spring. I couldn't wait to get them the hell off the truck. They handled horribly on dry road with all kinds of noise and you could feel every lug hit the ground. I thought I had bad wheel bearings when I got the truck. Throw some rain down and she was sliding around corners. Pathetic in snow.
I'm glad you had a great experience with them. I got a very good price when I sold them. Apparently folks like them, but that's what makes for horse racing. Personally, I will not purchase another BFG product.

I'm not sure what that last line means. I picked up my LX450 last February in Phoenix and drove it back to Jersey on almost new KM2s. I had every kind of weather on the way back and kept them on until this past spring. I couldn't wait to get them the hell off the truck. They handled horribly on dry road with all kinds of noise and you could feel every lug hit the ground. I thought I had bad wheel bearings when I got the truck. Throw some rain down and she was sliding around corners. Pathetic in snow.
I'm glad you had a great experience with them. I got a very good price when I sold them. Apparently folks like them, but that's what makes for horse racing. Personally, I will not purchase another BFG product.

My last line was in reference to him stating that GY Duratracs were the "smart choice", but he liked the looks of the KM2. I think tires make/break the look of a lot of these trucks.

Anyway, the KM2 definitely has mixed opinions, and I think it has a lot to do with what people are used to...and some just have no discernment in ride quality...my wife can't tell the difference in ride quality between our lifted cruiser and our LS400 car...I really worry about her sometimes :)

Good, that's more for us!

Love my km2s

Same here :beer:

I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right place, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of Iron Man tires, from China. I'm in Costa Rica, and the longest warranty on Bridgestone, etc. is 1 year; Iron Man offers 5 years. Just for info sake, was looking at batteries (Interstate) for my Subaru and 94 80. The good battery for the Subaru is $150 and a 700 CCA one for the LC is about $220. The interesting thing is the warranty is only good for two years, on the best of batteries, regardless of brand. I picked Interstate because I've had good luck with them in the States. Back to tires, I seem to recall that there was an expose on 60 Minutes, or one of those shows, on the inferior tires coming out of China. Anyone have any insight?

Absolutely no complaints with my KM2's,I've had them for about 10,000 miles and love them.
Very impressive on the trail, I've beaten the crap out of them with no issues. They're quiet enough at highway speed that a conversation is not strained. My only complaint is they're noisy at low speeds.
I had no issues with them in the snow, and we had a vicious winter last year.
I'd buy them again in a heartbeat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom