Good source for spare nuts and bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TYM4FUN

SILVER Star
Threads
I would like to have a descent stock of nuts and bolts that fit the 80. Mostly for add on projects, but also as replacements when needed. Should I just hit up the dealer and purchase an assortment, or purchase a kit online like below?

Vendors or shops, what do you do?

Amazon product ASIN B01LYF0OHX

Most of the metric hardware typically found online or through places like Fastenal is not the JIS standard used on Toyotas. I usually fill up a bag each time I go to Pick n Pull. It's the cheapest source I've found as half the time they don't charge, or only charge a couple bucks for a big assortment.
Having said that, there is a vendor here on Mud that sells proper yellow zinc JIS hardware. They have kits that are FJ40 oriented, but also sell loose hardware:
Overland Metric | JIS Hardware - https://www.overlandmetric.com/

Buying a parts rig is the cheapest way to keep your driver on the road.

I pay a guy $80 plus shipping to send me every single bolt, screw and clip whenever he finds an 80 in a wrecking yard. Every six months or so I get shipped a 60# box.

I pay the same guy to gut every single wiring harness bumper to bumper. Having many spares of color coded wire and connectors is a huge time saver.

People that part out trucks in the Classifieds section will sells hardware.

Most of the metric hardware typically found online or through places like Fastenal is not the JIS standard used on Toyotas. I usually fill up a bag each time I go to Pick n Pull. It's the cheapest source I've found as half the time they don't charge, or only charge a couple bucks for a big assortment.
Having said that, there is a vendor here on Mud that sells proper yellow zinc JIS hardware. They have kits that are FJ40 oriented, but also sell loose hardware:
Overland Metric | JIS Hardware - https://www.overlandmetric.com/
This is a great solution. Thank you.

Junk yard

If a bolt breaks I'm not concerned about replacing with a Jis head bolt. I just need something to get me home. And once I'm home, why would I replace it with used, rusty, rounded off bolt from a junkyard? Especially since it seems to be a failure point? I would replace it with new oem, or better. since it's cost prohibitive to carry a bunch of new general toyota hardware, I carry an assortment of new decent quality various sized metric hardware from belmetric. I think paying money for used hardware is silly.
For things that are *common* failures, I carry new Toyota, like control arm bolts, shock bolts, lug nuts and studs.

If a bolt breaks I'm not concerned about replacing with a Jis head bolt. I just need something to get me home. And once I'm home, why would I replace it with used, rusty, rounded off bolt from a junkyard? Especially since it seems to be a failure point? I would replace it with new oem, or better. since it's cost prohibitive to carry a bunch of new general toyota hardware, I carry an assortment of new decent quality various sized metric hardware from belmetric. I think paying money for used hardware is silly.
For things that are *common* failures, I carry new Toyota, like control arm bolts, shock bolts, lug nuts and studs.
💯

I would like to have a descent stock of nuts and bolts that fit the 80. Mostly for add on projects, but also as replacements when needed. Should I just hit up the dealer and purchase an assortment, or purchase a kit online like below?

Search eBay for "JIS bolts landcruiser"

I've bought assortments a couple of times in Australia. It's nice having the JIS head size compatible with the Yota stuff

Search eBay for "JIS bolts landcruiser"

I've bought assortments a couple of times in Australia. It's nice having the JIS head size compatible with the Yota stuff

Not cheap, but I find it easy and stress free having a collection of bolts in close to standard Toyota configuration in terms of length, thread, head size, captive washers, flanged heads etc.

Searching with the word Toyota or landcruiser i find yellow zinc, and black zinc oxide options.

Remove the word landcruiser or Toyota from your search you'll find other options with plain zinc coatings.

Nissan uses almost exactly the same hardware. Go to a junkyard with a 5-gallon bucket and rob a 1990’s Pathfinder.

I actually knew a guy who bought an x-terra or pathfinder (don’t recall which atm) and parted it out. He sold all the hardware from the whole truck to a Toyota guy for $750. 😆😉😁

Cheers

Nissan uses almost exactly the same hardware. Go to a junkyard with a 5-gallon bucket and rob a 1990’s Pathfinder.

I actually knew a guy who bought an x-terra or pathfinder (don’t recall which atm) and parted it out. He sold all the hardware from the whole truck to a Toyota guy for $750. 😆😉😁

Cheers

That's gonna be true of any Japanese vehicle, no?

The whole thing with JIS is its a "Japanese Industry Standard" not just Toyota, and not just automotive

Newer vehicles seem to have moved toward torx and star drive fasteners for a lot of stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom