good source for GPS coordinates for trails? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have found one pretty cool site called every trail.com. Pretty neat, but it is a work in progress.

A few of the trails that i have my eyes on (like morrison jeep trail for example) are not on there. There are several places on the internet to find bits and pieces of information, but, i was curious if anyone is aware of a site or a forum (expo portal maybe? Going to ask there next) that has some good info and actual coordinates for trails?

The best possible scenario would be if there were bread-crumb trail files that i could import into my GPS; or at least a beginning and ending Lat and Long that i could plug in. Would be nice to just start exploring but when you have the trails already loaded into your GPS it sure takes a little of the anxiety out of the trip. Plus as we all know you often come to a fork in the trail or a washed out bridge and you need a route around. It would be great to know where you are, where the trail goes and then you can find different routes.

Anyone have any good links or suggestions?

For any area that is 'unknown', I use google earth - lots of areas are at aerial photography resolution which is very good. You can easily cache quite large areas into an android based phone or tablet (even more on a laptop/win7 etc). Then when out there you can run google earth and overlay your GPS position on it.

On a recent trip to oz, I used google earth to create a breadcrumb trail to overlay tracks in the desert that weren't on my topo maps. Then saved the KML files (also exported/imported into oziexplorer running on my android phone & tablet). That way I knew exactly where the trails were, where I was and what options I had if I wanted to explore beyond the tracks.

Doesn't directly answer your question, but it is a good alternative when tracks are missing from maps or where you want to plan your own trip.

Here's a large part of the trip (easily 400miles), with my proposed path:

trip2k14a.gif

This a zoomed in area where the track is NOT on my maps:

trip2k14b.gif

and here the same track without my bread crumb so you can see the track itself:

trip2k14c.gif

And some of the KML imported into oziexplorer. You can see some 'sits' over an actual marked track, but a whole lot is over supposedly 'trackless' terrain - though obviously from google earth there is/was a track there. This part of the track is the top right part of the 1st picture.

trip2k14d.gif

Anyhow, just more options on how to navigate when offroad.

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the reply, George. I guess no one else really knows of any good places to get some data.

I use motion x gps HD on my iPad and it works great. I purchased the large one (120G i think) and so if i know approximately where i'm heading, then i'll just download the maps. Right now for example, I have all of South Utah downloaded, the entire Rubicon Trail area downloaded. Plus i have all my tracks that i can email or upload somewhere if anyone wants to know the coordinates for many of the trails i have been on.

So if you asked me, "can i get a resource for the hole in the rock trail?", i could email you a .kmz or .gpx file and you could import it into your gps and run with it.

Maybe we should start a page like that where we all trade trail coordinates?

Avenza pdf maps. I think it is available for iphone and android. Lots of options.

The Rover guys and Jeep guys have the best websites i've found for trails. Find their local website, and they might have what you need. Here it's nwjeepn.com. Great list of trails.

Traildamage.com has pretty much all GPS tracks,ratings, photos, and directions in Utah and Colorado. A few from other near by states as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom