Good source for Clutch kit - OEM mine is stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info all, it is greatly appreciated.

Jim - I saw that link on ebay and was going to pull the trigger until I saw this.

Auto Parts at Auto Parts Way - Car Parts, Import Parts, Truck Parts, Auto Accessories

Search for your year 40 and select the same parts (Aisin/ASCO, Koyo, etc) and your total should be 166.00 including free ground shipping. So I saved a few bucks :)

Now I will order the clutch alignment tool from partsamerica.com for 6$ and still be several bucks ahead.

Thanks all.

Brad
That's a good deal, but when I checked, the cost for the clutch disc and pressure plate were about $160 with free shipping. Same parts as the eBay link. The Pilot bearing and release bearing are an extra $40 and you still have to pick up a pilot tool. Did I miss something? LC

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser Clutch Disc W0133-1618795

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser Pressure Plate W0133-1614161

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser Release Bearing W0133-1629084

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser Pilot Bearing W0133-1640372

Seems odd that they would have 2 different published prices, but this is what I found before and still on the site. I notice the part numbers are the same, but the prefixes are different.

These two are your url and mine for the same clutch disc. There is a difference. I guess I will go with yours if I decide to order. Thanks for the tip!

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser - Clutch Disc - BUY 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser - Clutch Disc

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser Pressure Plate W0133-1614161

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser Release Bearing W0133-1629084

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser Pilot Bearing W0133-1640372

Seems odd that they would have 2 different published prices, but this is what I found before and still on the site. I notice the part numbers are the same, but the prefixes are different.

These two are your url and mine for the same clutch disc. There is a difference. I guess I will go with yours if I decide to order. Thanks for the tip!

1978 Toyota Land Cruiser - Clutch Disc - BUY 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser - Clutch Disc
Brad,

I figured it out. If you go to the website and click on perfornmance parts, they have the exact same list of parts at a higher price that they have when you click on replacement parts. Yours are the replacement and mine are the perfomance. That's why the prefix is different, they must figure they can jack you up a few bucks if you are looking for "performance" parts. Good to know, but seems deceptive to me.

Larry

Hey Larry you are right, I was just looking for oem replacements so did not go there. However, It is what it says and I received my order in 2 days.

good luck

Brad

Brad,

I appreciate the heads up and I'm sure other Mud members do as well. That's a real bargain for homeland parts.

So now that we have semi-hijacked the thread, let me add my 2 pennies to the original point of the thread.

I sank my 78 FJ40 for 4 hours once to the top of the radiator, although I managed to keep it running the whole time. I was afraid it wouldn't start if I shut it off and that was confirmed when I stalled it on the way out of the swamp. I was lucky a Jeep with a winch came by when I was down to my last gallon of gas (nearly full when I drove in). I was nose down. Although having a Jeep pull me out by the backside is humiliating, I was pretty happy.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of letting the rig sit for a few days. The clutch rustfroze to the flywheel and pressure plate. I managed to free that by rocking back and forth and pushing it in gear with the clutch pedal pushed in. Later that winter all the gear oil in the diffs, tranny and T/C froze up because it was so contaminated with water. It looked like green milk when I warmed it up enough to drain it. I also had a later problem with my distributor corroding to the point the advance mechanism no longer worked and I had to replace the dizzy. The lesson learned is that a good dunking requires immediate attention of any mechanicals and electricals that are submerged. Drain the fluids, flush where need be and make sure everything has fresh lube. A little WD40 inside the dizzy will help as well.

Dunkers beware!

LC

Need a hand?

Brad - If you'd like an extra set of hands to help with the clutch job I'd be glad to come over. Been itching to see your rig for a while now. If there's any tools you need let me know as well - I may have it.

Mike

Brad - If you'd like an extra set of hands to help with the clutch job I'd be glad to come over. Been itching to see your rig for a while now. If there's any tools you need let me know as well - I may have it.

Mike

You might want to check the date of this thread. That was a year ago.

whoops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom