1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good small table saw?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by macneill, Jul 19, 2005.

1. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

I need something to wheel in and out of the workshop.

I've seen a couple with wheels at Home Depot and Sears.

I know ya get what you pay for, but I don't really need the super-turbo professional one.

2. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    what price range are you looking in?

3. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

I was thinking under $300?

4. BLKDOG40

BLKDOG40

Makita for $301 at Home depot
    Homedepot.com

or Skill

but Ih8 RYOBI - I've had bad luck with their junk

5. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    There is a good belt driven Delta tablesaw for around $300. The direct drive models are dangerous.

6. cruiserman

cruiserman

If you can swing the extra $200, the bosch 4000 is very nice.

7. Scamper

Scamper

You can often find some used high quality stuff around if you look for it. I picked up a Delta 8inch table saw years ago...I'm talking Delta as in when Delta was good and before Rockwell. Paid $50 for it, and about a month after I bought it, the guy asked if I'd sell it back to him. Hehehe...no way. Still have it and it's amazing how much you can do with a small saw like that (though it does weigh a bit :rolleyes: ).

8. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

You should be able to pick a good second hand Dewalt 700 series for that money. Will outperform most of the others.Ryobi as mentioned , to me is only home handyman gear don't really cut it, no pun intended. If you can pick up a good s/h unit you should be able to try it first.

9. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    RYOBI blows...

The Makita saw is decent, but it can get off true too easy. Dewalt is a bit better than the Makita....just a bit

10. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

What part of under $300 didn't you understand?? :flipoff2:

Sorry ... bored and couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

TY

PS: Pull a Junk, and scour garage sales. You'll find something pretty amazing for $300.

11. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    not sure how many garage sales are in Manhatten...

12. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Yeah .. I just assumed Macneill lived in a condo or loft, or whatever they dwell in in dem der parts. Didn't realize he'd even have a 'garage' .. imagine my surprise ;)

Maybe he could go slummin for one ... or have Jman and Koffer keep their eyes peeled for one. ;p . Or maybe he could thumb thru the classifieds as he oogles the ships out his office window tomorrow.

TY

13. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

I've had this saw (minus the stand) for 4yrs now. White Shark has this exact model w/ the stand. He's had his for 7 or 8yrs. Never had any problems w/ either. As both of us are contractors, these saws have been through alot.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...7//103-9991848-8291064?v=glance&s=hi&n=228392

Instead of the stand I attached a piece of 1/2 plywood to the bottom so I can slide it around on the ground w/out damaging the saw.

I primarily use this saw when installing flooring or I need to rip 2by material quickly on the job. Everything else I use my cabinet saw. Those will run you 2000.00 though. For that you can buy a nice Bosch, Makita or the Dewalt, and have cash left over to throw at the truck, and go on a nice vacation somewhere.

I like the Makita but when I eventually kill it, I will be picking up the Bosch. I've used the Dewalt on a few jobs but didn't like how the motor was boggin down while ripping green (wet) lumber.

One advantage the Bosch & Dewalt do have is they both have telescoping extensions, (Makita doesn't have this option). The extensions allow support for ripping sheet goods, which is really nice. Of course you have the added cost.

As far as the rolling in and out of the garage the Makita is light, & thus can be p/up w/ the stand attatched, however wheels can be attached to pre drilled holes.

As long as you stick w/ Makita, Bosch, or even Dewalt you really can't go wrong.

Crapsman power tools = Jeep...........

14. ar2stp48

ar2stp48

Even with a small saw, you want it accurate. Suggest either Delta or Craftsman---have both in 10" contractor model and both are good. Stay away from the direct drive units.
    Check the want ads in local paper and the local pawn shops----picked up the Delta for $125 at a local shop; it is older model, heavy, has 1 1/2 hp motor

15. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

That's fricken funny. "If you want it acurate a Crapsman" OK then...........

Delta makes good saws. Buying a used one isn't a bad thing. Make sure the motor is in good working order, and ask about any type of 24 or 48hr return policy though, just in case. Accuracy is all dependant upon whether your doing high accuracy furniture/cabinet building or just ripping misc lumber. For anything less than a cabinet saw I recommend taping it every time you set up the fence. That is using a tape measure to measure the distance of the fence from the cutting edge of the blade both front & back. Not to mention making sure the fence is 90 degrees vertical.

Crapsman power tools = Jeep quality.

16. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    skip the skil . was given on years ago. they are complete crap.

you don't say how much room you have and what other tools. A good table saw is a joy to use and becomes your tool of choice for all precision cutting. means you rarely need a chop saw, radial arm saw or mitre saw. a bad table saw takes up space and attracts dust.

You can get an old craftsman or delta 9" cast iron top belt drive for $100 or less. they are fairly compact. Buy that and get a roller stand for $60. it will outcut the dewalt or bosch easily, is more stable and the old fences are surprisingly good.

i have an old rockwell unisaw. first table saw was a skill. it was junk. second saw was a direct drive delta. Also junk. Then I got smart. Anything i can't cut with a circular saw gets walked down into the basement for the unisaw. It is stable, precise and powerful and worth the walk. unisaw might be overkill but i believe a solid heavy belt drive is the way to go.

the dewalt is good and compact but does not compare to a belt drive. it is something for a jobsite because you can't get a decent saw out there. a good friend who has been extensively renovating his house was ecstatic when he got one but then went back to walking out to his gargae to use his 40 + year old 9" craftsman with a cast irontop, original fence, belt drive and a 1/3 hp motor and the old steel utility blade! the dewalt with the fancy carbide rip blade gathers dust because it binds if you rip and is not stable enough for big pieces. you just can't beat a belt drive and cast iron top with wings.

17. Hossdog

Hossdog

Take it from a General Contractor with years of tablesaw exp. If you want an all-around kick-ass saw get the Makita. The saw tears through wet lumber, big lumber, whatever you got and still keeps going. If you want a saw for more finish-trim kinda stuff go with the DeWalt cuz the guide is sweet and stays true. Rigid saw on the roll around thingy? s***. Ryobi? Double s***. The bonus to the above mentioned are their weight and ease of lugging around, Makita takes the cake in the category though.