Good Non-Mud Tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, the bald non-aligned tires finally started giving way with the release of the life force from the driver's rear tonight. So time to get something new. Not going off-road ever so MT are out. I want something that looks bulky and hefty on the truck, not some soccer mom tires.

Two I found at Tire Rack that sound promising are:

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO $168ea

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo $154ea

I have a local place that will do the mounting, balancing and road forece alignment with the Hunter. They will match Tire Rack pricing as well. Any others I should look at or any comments on these?

Those are both good tires.

Nitto Terra Grappler is popular also.

My comment is to make sure you get an "LT" rated tire and not a "P" rated tire.

It also help is you post rim size (16,17, or 18) since some tires are not available for all rim sizes.

Thanks... standard 16's I beleive. I'll see what the shop can get for a good price, thanks.

errrr...

if you don't ever go offroad, why do you want an AT tire, exactly...? :)

Yup.. can't stand the "meeger" looking tires that have no tread and no shoulder to them. It's purely asthetics.

Somebody help him (and me) out here. If he goes with an LT, which has a lot of advantages interms of tread depth, does he go with a 'C', 'D' or 'E' load rated tire?

And am I going to regret the AT type tire when I don't really go off-road? I mean is road noise/handing/etc going to be compromised that much on the highway?

I'm a big fan of the BFG ATRs. Had them on my old pickup and have them on the 60. They're great on-road and look the part.

In hindsite, I should have gone with those and not the MTRs... :eek:

I went with the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO ... local shop can get me those with balance, mounting, install, tax and alignment (all on hunter equip) for $850 out the door tomorrow.

They give me good service so I don't even need to shop around.

The BFG A/T is a great tire, for you the Bridgestone would have been a little better. As the BFG is a LT tire, remember to adjust up your air pressure by 8-10 psi over stock (you can search the past threads where I have covered this topic extensively, also see the Tire FAQ on the 80 page).

I think I searched and found what you are talking about.. a direct link would be nice. Sounds like a I need to find out if what I got are P metric and check what pressure the shop inflates them to (which I would do anyhow)

errrr...

if you don't ever go offroad, why do you want an AT tire, exactly...? :)

Styling has no justification, in purely functional terms.

Why do people install megaphone exhaust tips, 20" chrome wheels with paper-thin tires, and colored lights underneath their vehicles?

I think I searched and found what you are talking about.. a direct link would be nice. Sounds like a I need to find out if what I got are P metric and check what pressure the shop inflates them to (which I would do anyhow)

If you bought the BFG A/T they are a LT tire, they don't come in a P metric. Make sure they are load range D tires, not the E, because the E's will just ride stiffer with no benefit for your use.

The proper pressure is going to be what the factory pressure is +8-10 psi. Here are some links to the information concerning the change from P metric to LT tires.

http://www.nittotire.com/assets/saf...ht Trucks.pdf#search="p-metric lt load range"

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-070302.pdf#search="p-metric lt load range"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=70

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=111671&highlight=inflation+pressure

Cary, thanks for the info on tire pressures. Your links have good info.

I had replaced tires on one of my trucks that came with the extraload oem tires (P), and was surprised when the replacement tire shop told me to use the oem pressures on the LT tires. As a second opinion, I browsed through a dealership and found a truck with oem LT tires with the appropriate higher tire pressures. I realized the tire guy was afraid to tell a person to use a pressure different than the truck mfg sticker, even though the tire was different and required different pressures to be safe.

If have found that most tire shops are completely unaware of the need to adjust pressures when going from an LT to P-metric tire or vice-versa. Sometimes the managers will be aware of this. It's not even a matter of intelligence, but the fact that most tire installers are people that don't make a lot, and don't care a lot, so they never take any interest in learning about their trade. The ones that do quickly become managers or move into other better jobs.

I have experience with the BFG AT (KO and pre-KO), the MT, and Bridgestone Duelers (non-Revo). If you are looking for a street tire, daily driver, I'd pick the Revos. The MT (by BFG) or MT/R (by Goodyear) are awesome tires off-road. Tradeoff: more road noise/hum and reduced fuel mileage (figure a couple mpg). The BFG AT is a great all-around tire for a lot of 4x4s, but you still get some road noise and probably have a little mileage penalty. For street use, the BFG AT will last a long time. The Duelers I have are quiter on the road than the BFG AT's. I don't have any Revos yet, but it appears they outperform the BFG AT's for on-road use. Based on the thread's introductory comments on driving/usage, I would probably lean towards the Revos.

Another option - if you want a tire sidewall that doesn't look mall-rated: check out some Mickey Thompson tires.
- Dean

Anyone know if Tirerack will ship to your home or do they have to ship to a business? I ask since I doubt Lexus dealer would carry Revo's or any decent offroad tire. I have chromed wheels, so I don't like any guy at a tire shop messing with my wheels. Last time they did this on my '01 honda w/ 6K mi, they chipped off the paint on the wheel by violently yanking off the weights, saying "they all do that." I know my local lex dealer sells just about every LX w/ chromed wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom