Good Mechanic FZJ80 Orange County

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(1993 -- FZJ80)
Looking for a good mechanic in Orange county CA.
Having drivability problems that local dealers can't fix..

My Cruiser is suffering from lack of power and hesitation under any kind of acceleretion, cold or hot. The problem goes away when driven at high altitud. (Big Bear California) Any ideas??

So far they have replaced the coolant temp sensor, thermostat, airflow meter, fuel pump, complete tune up, EGR vacuum modulator, new distribuitor with wires, new coil, and I still have the same problem.:mad:

Any help would be appreciated..

Ruben

In Midway City there is a small dealership called Alpha Auto Sales which specializes in used, high-end Toyotas, Lexus', Acuras, etc. It's where I bought my LX. The owner and the mechanic there are long time Land Cruiser owners, and as such welcome these vehicles in for repairs. The mechanic said he had over 300k miles on his cruiser, and seemed to know his way around one. I may take mine back to them to swap my radiator for a 93-94 brass one.

The sales office phone #: 1-888-402-1928

All of these guys are vietnamese (what else in Mdway City?) and hard to understand, but there's a chance they could help you.

Good Luck, and welcome to the board!:flipoff2:

Thanks for the information Dan. I talked to Tomas Vo at Alpha Auto Sales and he suggested the same as all other mechanics I encounter so far. (Replace parts until you find it) I would realy like to find somebody that can diagnose this problem with out replacing the hole truck in the process.

Thanks again Dan.

I'm still looking!!

Ruben

Swedish Asian Auto Service (SAAS) on Grand Street in Santa Ana. Always provide good service, and are interested in solving problems. They work on other LC's as well as Volvo's. They have solved many issues that the Dealers did not want to look at.

Good Tech for your Cruiser

Ruben,
There is a shop called Dave Houstons South Orange County Automotive on Forbes road in South OC. Forbes is off of Crown Valley Parkway at the 5 freeway. Talk to Greg. The address is 27942 Forbes Suite G. Also, it sounds like the truck is running rich. It might be a good idea to check the fuel pressure at the rail. If it's too high (like from a faulty fuel pressure regulator), then it could over richen the mixture. If you still have problems, I can hook you up with a Toyota master tech.

Rich

rpfzj80 said:
Ruben,
There is a shop called Dave Houstons South Orange County Automotive on Forbes road in South OC. Forbes is off of Crown Valley Parkway at the 5 freeway. Talk to Greg. The address is 27942 Forbes Suite G. Also, it sounds like the truck is running rich. It might be a good idea to check the fuel pressure at the rail. If it's too high (like from a faulty fuel pressure regulator), then it could over richen the mixture. If you still have problems, I can hook you up with a Toyota master tech.

Rich

Rich - is this guy good with cruisers? He's about 3 miles from my house and bound to be cheaper than Family Toyota or Power Toyota.

Brent,
They actually are good with most vehicles. There are two guys there that I know. Greg and Nester, both who know how to perform proper diagnostic work even on carburated vehicles. My buddy is also a good source. He is currently moving from Lexus back over to Toyota (Power). He's a master tech and also knows the right way to do diagnostic work. By the way, have any of you guys hung out with the So. Cal. chapter of TLCA? Just curious.

Rich

rpfzj80 said:
Brent,
They actually are good with most vehicles. There are two guys there that I know. Greg and Nester, both who know how to perform proper diagnostic work even on carburated vehicles. My buddy is also a good source. He is currently moving from Lexus back over to Toyota (Power). He's a master tech and also knows the right way to do diagnostic work. By the way, have any of you guys hung out with the So. Cal. chapter of TLCA? Just curious.

Rich

Thx - thread hijack now in full progress. I've met and wheeled with some of the guys that meet in Huntington Beach. Did a day out at Truckhaven with them. Nice group. Don't know how many 80's are in the group. I was the only one that day, but I think there are some in their group. Chris (Otis on Mud) was who I was with and he's extremely nice. Owns a 40 for wheeling and has restored another one to pristine beauty!

Brent,

Rich

Excuse the thread hijack-hijack. Does your buddy do work on the side or just out of Power? I appreciate the info about the shop on forbes as it is very close to me as well. Lastly is the Huntington Beach area group the closest in south county? I will be joining and would like to find a good group, hopefully with some 80's, near Mission Viejo.
Thanks

I have gone to a couple of the So Cal meetings, nice group of guys. Unfortunately Rich is the only other member I have meet who has an 80. I believe when he goes wheeling it is in his 40. Correct me if I am wrong Rich. I too would like to wheel with some more 80s. Looks like there are quite a few people here on IH8MUD with 80s that live in the OC. I think we all need to get together one weekend afternoon and meet.

I have gone to a couple of the So Cal meetings, nice group of guys. Unfortunately Rich is the only other member I have meet who has an 80. I believe when he goes wheeling it is in his 40. Correct me if I am wrong Rich. I too would like to wheel with some more 80s. Looks like there are quite a few people here on IH8MUD with 80s that live in the OC. I think we all need to get together one weekend afternoon and meet.

That sounds good to me. Wheeling with other Cruisers is great and with other 80's is even better. Anyone agree? I will start a thread and let's see what happens. I will put it in 80-series Tech so as not to bore the 40's, 50's, 60's, 100's etc..

Brent,
Sorry for the response delay...work got in the way. Yes, my friend does do work on the side. PM or e-mail me. Thanks.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom