Builds Good luck Kiichiro! A build story. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And down the rabbit hole we go. Started last night in the front end swap. So far so good, couple of shortcomings but to be expected. Removing the GX fender was straightforward until I got to the rubber grommets in the wheel wells. I plan to do a proper write up when this is all over. I WILL need to get a Prado150 hood. The GX hood is slightly thinner in width, leaving a visible gap between hood and Prado fenders. If all goes well I’ll have wiring completed tonight. I have saved all my GX parts in case I say want to swap back, etc. Cheers!

0117227B-4C8F-4B04-A5D8-C04BC4F2E29E.jpeg

3FE9BCC0-20DC-4A4E-8B9E-E6B446C8E41C.jpeg

A3499CC2-B65D-433D-AAE0-C1A745412BE9.jpeg

836868FE-7FA0-4A11-BA79-44B2E8D9A016.jpeg

Nice! Could you tell us what Dobinsons springs you used and do you have any lean issues? I'm getting ready to install a 2" dobs lift on my 2012. I don't want any lean, so I'm trying to figure out what works best.

Nice! Could you tell us what Dobinsons springs you used and do you have any lean issues? I'm getting ready to install a 2" dobs lift on my 2012. I don't want any lean, so I'm trying to figure out what works best.

Front:
C59-302 springs (3” lift)
GS59-574 struts

Rear:
GS59-701
C59-725 springs

plus air sus delete parts, etc. I don’t have lean so much as I have rake that some weight I’m the rear will help.

Quite the project. I've been enjoying watching it progress here and on GXOR. Looking forward to the final product.

thanks! I’m excited to finally be doing it and if all goes well I hope to have pics of more development this week. There are some filler pieces, etc I have to source and the Prado hood as well but it’ll come together.

Front:
C59-302 springs (3” lift)
GS59-574 struts

Rear:
GS59-701
C59-725 springs

plus air sus delete parts, etc. I don’t have lean so much as I have rake that some weight I’m the rear will help.

Interesting. The 725 is the KDSS specific spring set, one is taller. But the 302s' are the same height. I had to purchase the 325 for the rear, but I also have the recommended spacer.

Swap so far: 5/17/2020

so far the drivers side is set. I have however hit a snag on the passenger side. Turns out the fender has a bow in it. seating the headlight housing puts the housing off center by a half inch. Weighing my options but from a long term perspective I’ll likely pull the trigger on a replacement. Otherwise, the grille lines up and will work, I swapped over the metal arms that attach the top of the grille to the body. With the passenger side fender off it gave me the idea of when time comes, internal snorkel 🤿 or potentially extending up to below the cowl. Internal into the cabin would lead to a noisier cabin but it would be fully sealed. waiting on the Prado hood and looking for a replacement passenger fender. all in all it’s an exciting project if not a very tedious one but im enjoying it. Cheers!

BB96A814-33C4-4886-857E-660C0BFDEF73.jpeg

A89FDFC3-0DE2-42D9-8BA8-01C74DFEAA67.jpeg

C1808C77-2F3D-45AF-BEB9-044BF3EC327B.jpeg

57269B13-3C05-4F5C-8753-147E9AB81B3F.jpeg

3D669982-62A3-4118-A2C0-DD8588BA29C5.jpeg

All in all it’s an exciting project if not a very tedious one but im enjoying it. Cheers!
"All in all" it looks VERY expensive!
But if you have the time and money, good on ya mate!
Looking forward to the finished product! 👍

lol 😂 I assure you this is a once and done project!

This is awesome! Where/how are you sourcing the Prado fenders, hood, and bumper from?

yahoo auctions Japan for the parts. Thanks for the comments. Hopefully this all concludes mid June.

Fantastic! I will be following. I searched on the Yahoo Auctions Japan site, but the option and language barrier is daunting. Thanks for the feedback!

you have a couple of options. I’ll shoot you a pm. Additionally, eBay Australia has some good stuff if you can find someone willing to ship.

With interior dash pieces, just gotta be careful with right hand/left hand drive.
Unless you really want to go full-on Prado and make it a right hander!

Haha!! 😆 agreed, and no I’m not prepared to go full-on Prado! The one Aussie item that I envy is the tailgate with tire carrier... 🤤
With interior dash pieces, just gotta be careful with right hand/left hand drive.
Unless you really want to go full-on Prado and make it a right hander!

Do the Aussie Prado's rear door hinge on the right side like North America? Or do they switch for the right hand drive?

Finally found someone doing the conversion. I’ve always wanted to do this conversion but didn’t know if it was doable. I own a 2011 prado in Pakistan that has been face lifted to the 2018 style and I love this car. Enjoying the build. Seeing this kinda makes me wanna do the conversion to now.
This is my prado back home
9D509540-051A-48DC-9569-D5DE89AD152E.jpeg
CD475D0B-8A37-49B6-8A93-B92BA56CCA32.jpeg

Finally found someone doing the conversion. I’ve always wanted to do this conversion but didn’t know if it was doable. I own a 2011 prado in Pakistan that has been face lifted to the 2018 style and I love this car. Enjoying the build. Seeing this kinda makes me wanna do the conversion to now.
This is my prado back home
View attachment 2317937View attachment 2317938
Any plans for a build other than cosmetics??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom