Good location and method to hide a key somewhere on the vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To any local thieves reading this, I would never actually consider doing this. I'm just asking for a friend. :)

Now that I've confirmed that I have 3 master keys I feel better about hiding one somewhere on the under carriage of the vehicle. I'm wondering what might be a good location and also thinking that it should go into some sort of water tight container? A while back I purchased a hide-a-key but it's too big to fit my key and fob and I've heard horror stories of those falling off.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Under the hitch mount on the left side- post up where you parked it. ( LOL just kidding).

Best if you keep the extra master key (one with fob) hidden inside the truck and a duplicate key outside the truck just to manually unlock the doors.

Knowing full well...Mrs. Flintknapper is going to lose her keys or lock them in the car at some point, this is where I put a spare.

Spare Hidden.jpg

Hidden Key.jpg

^ that works, I suppose I could do something like that.

If I went the route of having a blank key cut at home depot without the transponder and then hiding a real key with a fob somewhere in the truck will I have any issues with the blank key opening the door? Will it set the alarm off? I suppose that wouldn't be a big deal because I could get the alarm to shut up once I got inside the glove box and got the real key but just wondering.

^ that works, I suppose I could do something like that.

If I went the route of having a blank key cut at home depot without the transponder and then hiding a real key with a fob somewhere in the truck will I have any issues with the blank key opening the door? Will it set the alarm off? I suppose that wouldn't be a big deal because I could get the alarm to shut up once I got inside the glove box and got the real key but just wondering.

On My 2003 LC the spare key does not set off alarm. When just unlocking the door.

If you have the owners packet (the leather pouch that has the owners manual), you could hide the metal Key on the body somewhere
and put the card in your glove box. That metal Key will unlock your door and you will need
to hold the card next to the ignition to start your LX with the metal key.
201706-063.jpg

I'd get one of those combination key lock boxes like pictured above. Only I'd skip the u-lock style and get this one that you can bolt to the undercarriage somewhere out of sight so it doesn't rattle all the time.
897ed5d5-1fcb-4124-8c36-ed87b08c90ef_400.jpg

If I tell you and my truck goes missing......

A standard key is waterproof, using the hole in the key head, the part that goes onto the key ring, put a zip tie through it, zip tie it to the underside of the truck.
When you need the key, you twist it, the zip tie breaks, you now have a key.
If you wrap it in duct tape and triple zip tie it to the frame how in the hell is someone without a pocket knife going to get to it?
If you don't feel comfortable putting your valet key under the truck, leave it inside, like in in one of the rear door ash trays.
Then have a solid steel key cut at Home Depot, that way IF someone finds your key all they can do is open the truck and unless they find your valet key they can't steal it, only your stuff, which you should never leave anything of value in your car anyway because cars are not secure. You can break a side window with a ink pen if you know how and no one pays attention to car alarms anyway.

I'd get one of those combination key lock boxes like pictured above. Only I'd skip the u-lock style and get this one that you can bolt to the undercarriage somewhere out of sight so it doesn't rattle all the time.
897ed5d5-1fcb-4124-8c36-ed87b08c90ef_400.jpg

Good call, thats what I meant to show.

If you wrap it in duct tape and triple zip tie it to the frame how in the hell is someone without a pocket knife going to get to it?

They aren't, that's the point of it. That and the absolute protection of the key from the elements. A spare key is not of much use if the darn thing doesn't work when you need it.....right?

My wife always has a small multi-tool in her purse. And anytime I have pants on...I am carrying a knife. Not a problem.

Wife's multi-tool.

multi.jpg

If you have the owners packet (the leather pouch that has the owners manual), you could hide the metal Key on the body somewhere
and put the card in your glove box. That metal Key will unlock your door and you will need
to hold the card next to the ignition to start your LX with the metal key.
View attachment 1482971

While I love my Lexus wallet key, if you're not storing the key in the holder, why not simplify it to a (non transponder) hardware store brass key with a separate transponder chip stashed somewhere in the car?

upload_2017-6-21_23-8-58.png

Who doesn't carry some sort of knife? I thought everyone at least has an EDC folder.

Who doesn't carry some sort of knife? I thought everyone at least has an EDC folder.

I carry one. My wife does not. The guys at work do not. 99% of the people I know do not carry something as simple as a pocket knife.

They aren't, that's the point of it. That and the absolute protection of the key from the elements. A spare key is not of much use if the darn thing doesn't work when you need it.....right?

My wife always has a small multi-tool in her purse. And anytime I have pants on...I am carrying a knife. Not a problem.

Wife's multi-tool.

View attachment 1483161

I agree a spare key is no good if it ca't be used.
But again, the key is going to survive the elements just fine. Worse case you have to replace it every 10yrs because it's rusty.

I secured a metal key without the fob portion between 2" velcro strips on the top of the frame. The key will open the door and obviously not start the car without the fob. The key fob needed to start the vehicle hidden inside the car. This velcro solution for me has worked for years and there's nothing that rattles around either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom