Good LC mechanics in Idaho? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone out there know of any good LC mechanics in southwest Idaho area? Been taking my 96 to the dealer for oil, etc. but they want $500 for the 120k check up! What do they do for $500!!! :confused: Also, where is a better place to get the front mud flaps? Want to remove running boards before they damage my rockers but dealer thinks the mud flaps are quite valuable.

I've had Mountain View Auto charge AC in 2 of my rigs. They always seem to have a Cruiser in for work. I hope you're not going to Peterson. There are plenty of us here in Boise that can help you do your own work.

Rick,

Why I oughtta (envision Jackie Gleason shaking his fists) - heh!

Actually, Idaho is a big state, and he's about 400 miles from me so I'm not much help. Sounds like CMan's got him covered.

DougM

I too hope you haven't been going to Peterson Toyota. Definitely get the parts from CDan they will have them to you quicker than Peterson. If you have to buy local Mark at Tom Scott is pretty decent to deal with. Ask for a discount and he'll give you one. They are still a lot more money tha CDan and if they don't have it in stock it will be slower than CDan. Dowdy's on Federal Way in Boise also seems to always have quite a few Cruisers there. I'd be happy to help you with some things but I'm over in Mtn. Home.

Thanks for the info. No, I do not trust Peterson, been going to Tom Scott for years for parts (for 85 4runner). (I usually deal with Danna now since Bill deserted to the service dept. but I do like Mark too) they know me on a first name basis and I do get a discount rate from them but still pricey. We have done all the work on my runner ourselves, but we know it inside out after 15 years and 228k miles. Land Cruiser is a little intimidating I think. Maybe I should get a repair manual from Tom Scott and learn how to do it myself! I will try CDan for the mudflaps. Anyone out there taken anything to Wayne' Automotive in Nampa? Have heard good about him for other vehicles, but no one with a Cruiser. Can't trust my baby to just any ol' joe.

Ya, those East Coast guys don't understand life out West. Our counties are bigger than most of their states - heh. I've never driven across Texas, but even to me it's mind blowing to drive across Montana - 10 hours if you average 70mph!! I've had companies suggest I return an item I bought mail order "to Boise - it's in Idaho.." Um, yeah if you pay for the 2 days of driving round trip....

You Aussies have your fair share of wide open spaces, eh?

DougM

What is really funny is when the East Coast guys forget to buy gas thinking there will be another town in just a few miles. My nearest stealership is 56 miles one way. And they basically stock no parts. So it is 2-3 days wait. It gets real irritating when you drive up there because they said they have the part in stock and you get there and it is the wrong part. I got lost in Portland going to Cruisin the Woods. I passed more Toyota dealerships in that hour and half than Idaho has in the whole state.

IDDoug you are doing great if you can make it across Montana in 10 hours. I believe the exact distance if you stay on the interstate is a smidgen under 740 miles. What is amazing is that you can actually drive through very different climates in these larger states.

Rick,

<snicker>

Eric,

I thought I recalled it being almost dead on 700 miles. Ah, who's counting, eh? In the good old days of unlimited speed limits a decade ago, I once crossed it with the Audi's cruise set at 94mph. That was amazing and fun, but there was a huge downside. When I crossed into N. Dakota's 65mph limit I couldn't handle the decompression. For an hour or so, I was just bored out of my mind and felt like I was literally crawling along. Of course, that fun ended courtesy of some idiot attorney who was offended he got a basic speed law ticket and chose to challenge it all the way through the system until the state elected to drop the unlimited. Bastard.

DougM

I lived in Montana at that time. The damn tourists are what wrecked the safe and prudent speed limit. People driving mini vans at 90 mph. Japanese Tourists renting Mercedes and doing 140mph in a line of 6 with about 2 foot spacing between them. There policy of 75 at night and 65 during the day is OK. There are a lot of deer in Montana that don't make it safe to go much faster. North Dakota does suck. Not only do their speed limits not do justice to their flat straight roads, but they have no population to support Toyota dealers. Driving across North Dakota is one of my primary reasons for not owning a Toyota factory diesel. It is tough enough getting regular Toyota parts there and the chance that I'd need something rare. I've driven from Columbus, Montana to Minneapolis, MN probably 40 times across the ND prarie. And it has kicked my butt several times. Cats went out on the BMW (hence no BMWs in my stable), Fuel pump froze up on our 60 series, Fuel pump went out on our Toyota pickup, Blew out a tire on the 60, Clutch went out on a Ford pickup, our Tahoe fuel pump froze. Looking back maybe they water down their fuel? And when I've broke sometimes it has been -10 degrees without wind chill. Since we've moved further west we don't drive there as much. Flying is cheaper and quicker especially if you add in repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom