Good Independent Shop in DFW? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '97 Cruiser that I bought recently and need to get checked out and serviced. Any recommendations for a good shop would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay away from dealerships if possible and doing the work myself isn't really an option. Thanks in advance.

Chris

While it's not in downtown, it's worth the drive: Baker Tire, run by Texican here. PM him for info. He's straightup one of the best guys ever, and a great cruiser mechanic.

I have to agree on Baker Tire. One warning though. If you see this guy walking towards your truck with any tools, run away!

attachment.php

:D

Ed

valkyrie610 said:
hmmm- DFW is a big place- but on the north side is Ron's ToyoTown... Farmer's Branch/Addison area. If you're farther north try Davenports in Plano- mostly Lexus but a top notch place. That's all that comes to mind in my neck of the woods.

The last time I asked, Davenports was an exclusive Lexus only shop. They won't service Toyotas, even though the 97 LC is mechanically identical to the LX450.

There's a Vietnamese gentleman who runs an independant shop behind his home in Garland. He is located just down the street from the central fire station. I highly recommend him. You can't miss his driveway as it is always full of Land Cruisers.

Daijda Do-rite automotive in North Richland Hills. (mid cities area) 817-427-4857
Cruiser head that does good work. He works on my 40, 80 and my hilux when I had it.

Ron's Toyota off Royal Lane, just West of I-35 in Dallas.

Ron's Toyota Repair
11363 Mathis Avenue Suite 5
Dallas, TX 75229
972-869-4552

They are usually busy, the owner knows his stuff and is very fair with the prices. He helped me a and a few others I know several times over the years. I've not been there in quite some time though. Just don't ask for Ron, because it's a long story...

How about Granbury/ Southeast Ft. Worth? I may be moving there soon.

Stowe's Auto in Burleson. Not fast and they don't specialize in Toyotas, but they are straight up guys and will research a project if they don't know to be sure it gets done right. Probably why they aren't fast. Hollar ifn ya want more info.

whatever you do, do NOT go to Ron's Toyota on Royal Lane. I used to take my FJ60 to Ron all the time, then he sold it several years ago. I had a problem and gave the new guy a chance. the engine was missfiring. he gave me a prognosis and estimate, and I told hiim I would think about it. Then a couple of days later, my temp gage goes to the red. I pull over and open the hood and the radiator cap was laying right next to to the radiator. Ron's new owner (big backwoods looking yokel) had removed the radiator cap to inspect the water, I presume, and see if any oil was in it, but he forgot to replace the radiator cap. All my coolant evaporated the next couple of days. I had warped my head and blew a head gasket. Ron's new owner would not assume responsibility. I had to have my head rebuilt for almost $12oo thanks to that idiot.. so AVOID hime AT ALL COST.

Instead, go to Mike Dadja of Dadja Do Rite in north Tarrant county ( north Richland Hills) 817-427-4857, HE is the BEST! and he specializes in LandCruisers and he owns two himself.

Although I don't live close, I have had experience with Baker Tire in Bonham and would certainly add my vote to Butch's shop.

From what I can tell, it's worth the drive from metropolitan Dallas.

Good luck...

paulj said:
That would be Dung Nguyen, (first name pronounced "Young"). He's not working out of that location anymore as the city of Garland busted him for running a business out of his house. His new location is:

835 Hopkins St.
Garland, TX 75040

He's worked on both my 40 and my 60, is a good guy and stands behind his work.

Dung will be tackling my FJ60 12V A/C conversion for my 24V HJ60 in the spring. I was VERY suprised when he said, "No problem, I've done a couple A/C conversions on diesels before. They were already 12V, but the wiring shouldn't be a big deal."

Can't wait to get it done, this summer has been brutal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dung

pilotsareplanecrazy said:
Dung will be tackling my FJ60 12V A/C conversion for my 24V HJ60 in the spring. I was VERY suprised when he said, "No problem, I've done a couple A/C conversions on diesels before. They were already 12V, but the wiring shouldn't be a big deal."

Can't wait to get it done, this summer has been brutal.
paulj and pilotsareplanecrazy--Do you guys know if Dung is familiar with 100s as well?

Last edited:
I would avoid Dung. Just came back from there this morning. Had a bunch of 90K service related items done.

1) Said he would need 2 days. Needed 7. Basically because he had to do stuff on other truck.

2) Skipped a bunch of stuff he was supposed to do, and still wanted to charge for.

3) My battery was dead in his lot! He left the lights on or something.

4) Could not even install rear shocks on a 100.

5) Instead of doing full flushes on the fluids, only did partial.

Guy charges a reasonable price. But you get what you pay for. It was a frustrating experience.

Could not resist adding one more about Dung. My interior rearview mirror was rattling. Dung was supposed to fix it. I came back and he claimed it had to be done by Toyota and they put "goo" inside the mirror mount. I just went down, took the plastic mount case off, slid the mirror off, tightened 4 phillips screws, put it back together in under 4 minutes for the project. Works perfect - not Toyota goo needed! Sorry to vent - but I am getting more frustrated as I check over what he guy did. Like he claimed he replaced the radiator coolant hoses, which I bought new from Toyota, and the old hoses are still on the truck. I am feeling ripped off.

I know I've asked before, but just looking for some advice on who to go to for a V-8 converison. Sold my jeep to get this done so I need someone good, it will be my daily driver. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom