Good for the long haul? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So...

I have this hj60 that I'm looking to take to Mexico from Vancouver...specifically down to Baja. Wondering what folks think about the engine going the distance....4800km in 48 hours? The compression has tested very well, and I run straight veggie oil a lot of the time, though most of this trip will be done on diesel. Recent work includes:

New 4 core rad, hoses, belts, water pump, thermostat.

All of the under bits on this truck are in tip top shape.

My big question is: Is this too much to put a 30 year old truck through?

Planning on installing an external transmission cooler, doing a tranny flush, general inspection, in addition to the usual oil change.

Thoughts? Anything else I should get done?

Thanks,
Kevin

I wouldnt hesitate to do it.. I just took my 34yo HJ47 (same engine, 2H) on a 6000klm trip.. didnt miss a beat.. that included a 1400klm return leg on the last day alone.

As well as the list of stuff you've already proposed I'd double check wheel bearings and swivel hubs as well.

I'm not sure I'd bother with the transmission cooler.. pity it's auto though.

Last edited:
Should be no problem,just keep the top speed civilized.I prefer to cruise the old diesels at 65 to 70 mph that feels to me like the sweet spot.

Joe

I drove my new hj60 sight unseen from New Mexico to New York, never thought about it. Truck never missed a beat. I got home and found the brake linings were not there! The shocks were shot and the electrical a were all messed up. Regardless, the truck never missed a beat, so yes, go on, enjoy your trip. These things go on forever.

I wouldnt hesitate to do it in any 60 or 70 series that was well maintained. Like the the others said,keep the speed down a bit.
4800klms in 48 hrs means you will need to average 110-120kph to keep up the average 100kph speed. Another 5-10 hrs would be better.
I hope you have a couple of spare drivers.

My big question is: Is this too much to put a 30 year old truck through? ......
Kevin

I'd put my 30 year-old-truck through another around-Australia trip at the drop of a hat.... if only I could spare the time and drop everything to do it

PS. Concentrating on lonely tracks and avoiding cities and main highways wherever possible too...

Years ago I bought a 1982 4speed HJ60 in Australia, didn't do much to it as it all looked to be in fine condition, and took it on a 36.000km trip through Oz. Did more than 12.000km on dirt roads and rough tracks. Only thing that needed replacing was an engine mount.
I didn't go much faster than 90kph and took my time.
Those trucks are though, as long as it hasn't been neglected it should be fine.

I would be more concerned about the oil and grease in the drivetrain. After a lengthy drive feel the bearings hubs and diffs for heat. Any doubt bring it into ateb's for a once over.

Met a couple in Nica who drove down from Montreal in their all original Diesel 60 without issue. With that said, Baja will be hard on suspension and steering if you like to get off the beaten path. ATEB's a good call.

Did it from Vancouver in my rusted out no turbo BJ60- The worst thing you could possibly do is not go. You must do this. And yes- ATEB...

Also keep in mind you will not find any pre-'99 Toyota Diesel parts in all of Mexico. PITA as shipping is $$$. Bring spare fuel filters! And don't let anyone wrench on your truck - even a dealership jajaja....jaja

Edit: every $ spent at ATEB in preventative = $$$ down South with a diesel. Something to consider. Have fun man.

Last edited:
If you're planning on doing any serious off-roading, it might be a good idea to carry a spare Birfield and the tools to replace it. Carry an extra fuel filter or two just in case you have to get fuel at a place other than a Pemex while you're in Baja. Airing down your tires on the washboard roads of Baja will make a huge difference in comfort. Just be sure to have an air pump for when you hit the pavement again. If you have tires that aren't a common size it would be helpful to have a loose spare tire (not on a rim) in addition to your regular spare. There's tons of places that can fix/plug/mount a tire but if you need a new one the available inventory can be sparse. If you haven't replaced tie rods and other front end wiggle joints it might be a good idea, or carry spares.

I did the ride from northern Maine to the southern tip of Baja and back over the course of 6 weeks a few years back. Looking forward to making it all the way to Panama someday.

I don't like to travel loaded up with spares.. Maybe top and bott radiator hoses, some belts and some oil ... and a basic toolkit of course ... but then I work on my own vehicle so I know my wheelbearings are all good and my birfs are no more likely to break now than there were at any time in the last 250,000kms etc etc.

Extra fuel is indeed a must for the type of travel I crave in Australia (and lots of water too) and of course I need to be able to repair punctures by myself in the middle of nowhere.

Travelling as light as you can helps in terms of reliability because hauling heavy loads over rough terrain is hard on a vehicle...

But the big thing in my books is to never be in a hurry... It excessive-speed coupled with heavy loadings that gives most people grief from my experience.

I'm happy to dawdle along in scenery that others consider boring ... Just the sheer loneliness of a landscape often adds attraction to me ...

...Another 1 cent input

I prefer to try to carry the things that might leave me stranded 100+ km from any civilization with my wife and dogs. This is a very common situation in Baja. I'm sure the same can be said for other regions of the world. The situation for Toyota parts availability in Baja is very different than many (most?) places in the world. You can assume that most items will have to be ordered from elsewhere, wait for them to clear Mexican Customs and eventually make it to you. FedEx overnight isn't an option. Carrying a few critical spares is a lot more sensible than the alternative.

From my experience most Birfield failures happen at low speed, in low range and tight turns crawling over objects in your path where traction conditions vary. Knowledge of what driving actions and cause Birfield failures can be all that's necessary to prevent it.

Or rent a satellite phone and don't worry about spare parts.

Wheel bearings are small light and easy to carry .. and can let you in bad position if they just broke, which can happen due a couple of different reasons ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom