Good deal or pass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m looking at getting my first 100. Ideally I’d like the 5 speed because it will be my daily, although they are a little out of my price range at the moment. I did find a 2000 with 165k miles I’m decent shape for $5,600. Thought I could buy this and save for about a year for the one I really want. Seems like a good price but I would have to buy it unseen and travel to pick it up. I can do just about any of the work myself so I’m not too concerned if it needs wp/Tb. Any advice on if it’s a good price for year and mileage?

Seems like a great price I paid $12k for my 02 with 150k on the odometer.

Ask for pics of under carriage and motor, looks for any signs of distress or problems. Maybe ask for the VIN and pop it into toyota owners and see if any records show up.

Id avoid 2000. only year that had transmission issues. Yes its a small % of them but still I would avoid.

Would it be possible to merge all of the "is this a good deal" threads into one, stickied to the top of the page? Or could we rename this tech section to the "appraisal and resale theory section", instead? I'm all for a discussion about finances and collectible niche vehicles, but how many "what's this worth?", "is this too rusty", or "what should I know about my truck?" threads do we need being written on such a regular basis? And if we're going to be answering the "what's this worth" question in new threads daily, could it at least be SOP to include things like pictures, maintenance records, any information at all besides year and mileage? The question posed is like "how long is a rope?" IDK... There are way too many variables.

There is such a huge wealth of information on this site. If you have a question, I 98.5% guarantee it's been covered NUMEROUS times in the last ten years. To not bother searching for the information you're looking for, you're effectively discrediting the work that many of our most respected members have done to share their knowledge and experience. If you're just wanting a question and answer forum, that's facebook.

Y'all... SEARCH. Read the FAQ at the top of the page. There's even a thread that says something to the effect of "New Members! Read this before posting!"

Last edited:
Would it be possible to merge all of the "is this a good deal" threads into one, stickied to the top of the page? Or could we rename this tech section to the "appraisal and resale theory section", instead? I'm all for a discussion about finances and collectible niche vehicles, but how many "what's this worth?", "is this too rusty", or "what should I know about my truck?" threads do we need being written on such a regular basis? And if we're going to be answering the "what's this worth" question in new threads daily, could it at least be SOP to include things like pictures, maintenance records, any information at all besides year and mileage? The question posed is like "how long is a rope?" IDK... There are way too many variables.

Great idea - its been done in the For Sale part of the Forum, but people don't post there unfortunately.

Try recommending it in the moderator section and see what their feedback is.

Great idea - its been done in the For Sale part of the Forum, but people don't post there unfortunately.

Try recommending it in the moderator section and see what their feedback is.

Good thinking.

@Trunk Monkey , I know how you could cut way down on the number of FAQ and search links you need to post...

Great price if no rust or major issues. Too bad you can't inspect prior to purchase, you can't ask for detailed pictures to get an idea of the condition? any transparency from seller as to what if any issues are present?

On the positive side, the "is this a good deal" threads bring new members to the forum. This is OP's first post. Anyways these threads inevitably become tech in nature when the new fella starts asking about the rust they see on the truck, etc.

On the positive side, the "is this a good deal" threads bring new members to the forum. This is OP's first post. Anyways these threads inevitably become tech in nature when the new fella starts asking about the rust they see on the truck, etc.

Unfortunately they bury actual tech content and questions, and no one posts their tech questions 10 pages into their is it worth it thread - they start a new, actual tech thread.

We really should see if its possible to have a sub-forum in the 100's where the good or bad deal questions can be put out to pasture, where they can roam free and be answered to everyone's delight without being burdened by the other boring tech threads.

If only we had a few of those rust threads they could possibly reference.. :meh:

So I’m looking at getting my first 100. Ideally I’d like the 5 speed because it will be my daily, although they are a little out of my price range at the moment. I did find a 2000 with 165k miles I’m decent shape for $5,600. Thought I could buy this and save for about a year for the one I really want. Seems like a good price but I would have to buy it unseen and travel to pick it up. I can do just about any of the work myself so I’m not too concerned if it needs wp/Tb. Any advice on if it’s a good price for year and mileage?
It is hard to tell. You didn't give the maintenance history or pictures of the body/undercarriage. It could be the deal of the century or the money pit. If you can't look at it, please get it inspected by a reputable shop.

Thanks for the responses. I can’t really see anything other than standard pictures.. it’s an auction vehicle so can’t really look at it (due to distance) or ask for undercarriage photos. body looks pretty good so does interior. I was looking for a different place for this thread but didn’t really see a better thread to post this in. I feel like it’s one of the lowest prices I’ve seen so far although it has been in new Hampshire since 08 and South Carolina prior so I’m concerned about the rust. These are the photos available
FED88954-2CBF-494F-AB23-483E7B92C428.jpeg
30B19009-3EE5-48FC-92D4-59ED13ADBDD2.jpeg
C7630B87-B992-47E1-BB1A-3C5DFE383998.jpeg
DC8E9CA8-4389-47FD-A1BB-F21687AF0A81.jpeg
95D9FAF9-C74D-4A03-8E9B-2D2D2AEAC5A7.jpeg

Thanks for the responses. I can’t really see anything other than standard pictures.. it’s an auction vehicle so can’t really look at it (due to distance) or ask for undercarriage photos. body looks pretty good so does interior. I was looking for a different place for this thread but didn’t really see a better thread to post this in. I feel like it’s one of the lowest prices I’ve seen so far although it has been in new Hampshire since 08 and South Carolina prior so I’m concerned about the rust. These are the photos available View attachment 2210226View attachment 2210227View attachment 2210228View attachment 2210229View attachment 2210230
ECE45F48-28C3-439E-88B1-F1259A8CC9F1.jpeg
2CFA9009-F2B3-40CD-A7DF-C5D2A53EA931.jpeg
3A4C6B94-70C2-4531-BD77-3E0C12B614D6.jpeg
ECE45F48-28C3-439E-88B1-F1259A8CC9F1.jpeg
2CFA9009-F2B3-40CD-A7DF-C5D2A53EA931.jpeg
3A4C6B94-70C2-4531-BD77-3E0C12B614D6.jpeg
8B340E8B-DC07-4AFB-AEB9-E8366B011162.jpeg
EB3E06EA-3F2F-46F8-928C-D749AE4D7230.jpeg

Thanks for the responses. I can’t really see anything other than standard pictures.. it’s an auction vehicle so can’t really look at it (due to distance) or ask for undercarriage photos. body looks pretty good so does interior. I was looking for a different place for this thread but didn’t really see a better thread to post this in. I feel like it’s one of the lowest prices I’ve seen so far although it has been in new Hampshire since 08 and South Carolina prior so I’m concerned about the rust. These are the photos available View attachment 2210226View attachment 2210227View attachment 2210228View attachment 2210229View attachment 2210230
12 yrs in New Hampshire would have me very concerned about the rust. I live in CT with a 2001 lx470 and the rust is no joke. Do yourself a favor and look in the south, worth the price in the long run. Good luck 👍

If that is a picture with the vehicle running, the warning lights would bother me.

Also, the AHC reservoir appears to be very low, which could be another big issue along with it appearing to be dropped down into "low" mode.

Repairs start to add up REALLY fast in vehicles like this.

This would be a hard pass to me unless you want something to drive around and beat up.... Save your pennies....

#1. run away if its been in NH for that long. rust city under there i guarantee
#2. almost more importantly, save for the truck you really want!! you are going to waste money on tax/title/tag and a TB/WP that you will never get back when you sell it in a year.

It looks like there's quite a bit of rust at the base of the trailer hitch, and several rusty bits in the engine compartment. I bet its a shipwreck underneath.

If you are looking for a gold LX with 0 rust, my brother will be selling his in a month and its been in Vegas and just got a timing belt and water pump a week ago. Has about 250k on it, but no rust. He wants like $7250 for it or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom