Good deal on CPO 02 LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I low balled a local dealership awhile back on a 02 Lc with 50K. The truck ended up being purchased by another person. It turns out the deal never went through and the sales guy called me to try to work something out.

They'll take 19K for it Seems like an OK deal but wanted to hear some input from you guys. I've never owned a cruiser newer than my 89 :hillbilly: but have been eyeballing them since I need a nicer car to take clients in...

Well, if you were going to buy it a while back, whats different now? The mileage sounds nice, I wish I was back to 50k...I'd have stopped driving mine so damn hard.

I offered them 17k when gas was more expensive.... They we're originally asking 20k. Guess the question is if 19K is a good price or great price. 19K is the KBB private party in good condition. Just seems a bit high for a truck that is 7 years old.

If the truck is your color preference and is straight, IE: no wrecks or in need of major repairs it doesnt seem TOO bad...a good price. The mileage is good for a 7 year truck, however it could have been used for lots of short trips...i dont think you'll ever know.

Bought my '03 for $21k six months ago. It was exactly what I wanted in a LC so I think I went a little high. Things like the comfort and safety of a 100 are harder to put a price on.

Having said that, it is a CPO and I just got a new water pump, timing belt, serp. belt, and radiator for $180. The warranty on an '02 would be over pretty soon, though, right?

Yep. The CPO warranty is pretty much useless on an 02. I think there is 6 months left.

If I had 6 months right now...i'd be so happy, I could get my axles replaced along with the heater fan and whatever the heck squeaks on the engine when I cold-start.

I wouldn't go more than 17K. They were asking $20K, the deal fell through and it's been there a while. They want to sell it. Even with the current low gas prices, large SUV's aren't selling.

The economy is tanking and they are not moving cars in January. Offer the guy 16K and tell him that you have found a similar truck with similar miles for 16.5K and that you want him to beat that price. Trust me, these guys are needing cash more than inventory right now. Bring your wife along and play good cop - bad cop and see what happens. The worst thing they can tell is no, and then they will call you back at the end of the month and say that the sales manager really wants to sell the truck to you and that they made a mistake earlier in the month.

I bought an '01 with 45k for $16,500 from an individual back in August.

It sounds a bit high. I bought my 02 LC about a month ago with 56k miles from a private party for $16000. Although the car was in a fender bender, but it was professionally repaired. It was the perfect gray/green color I was looking for. The way the market is right now, I would not go over $17k. Most dealers will play hard ball cause of the winter season. Be firm on your price. ;)

They got back to me and said 17K is way too low. They offered to pay for the Toyota Gold extended warranty if I paid 19K.... I'm trying to figure out how much the warranty costs if i buy it versus their costs....

Go to galves.com and see what the wholesale value is and that will give you a pretty good idea of what they paid for it and you can go from there.

If you paid $19k for the truck, you just bought the warranty, the factory warranty on the Toyota/Lexus line is anywhere from $1200-1600. Tell them you want the warranty and the truck for $16.5 and see if they sh*t themselves. I am telling you that dealerships have a hard time moving cars in January when everyone is busy paying off the Holidays.

You have to work these guys until they have NIGHTMARES about you!

If the truck is in great shape with only 50K miles and they are giving you the warranty incase anything goes wrong sounds like a good deal. If you want to nego. for something they will go for try for a full detail wax. etc.

Never pay KBB - read their disclaimers, they are not actual prices, but starting points for dealers that make huge profit margins.
With that said, when you find a good one, they are hard to pass up. I found a 03 for a fellow mudder and seem to remember it was only $16K - the 03's are so nice that the 02's should be bargains.

The hunt continues.... they tried jerking me around with the winter song and dance... they tried telling me my 62 is going to die at 150K... etc, etc.. Their cheeseball sales really turned me off today and I'd rather not give them any money.

Any other good resources for finding these besides cars.com, autotrader and ebay?

The hunt continues.... they tried jerking me around with the winter song and dance... they tried telling me my 62 is going to die at 150K... etc, etc.. Their cheeseball sales really turned me off today and I'd rather not give them any money.

Any other good resources for finding these besides cars.com, autotrader and ebay?

You could try carfax. Once you buy their 30 days subscription they usually can locate local landcruiser for sale from dealers who use their services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom