good combo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think we've finally come to a decision. My fiance and I have a '63 fj40 that we are doing a complete resto on. Here's my question...we are looking for optimum setup (or as close to it as possible) for a daily driver/weekend warrior. We are looking at putting a Chevy 250 I-6, Sm465, NP205 in it. How does this sound? Anything to look out for? Any reason why this would not be a good choice? We have gone round and round with this thing, and I just want to see some progress. Thought I should ask the experts before making any purchases. Thanks.

the np205 will center the rear drive shaft so the original axle which is offset will not work

yes our 63 has a centered rear diff so using the 205 wont cause any severe angle problems. Thanks.

sorry bout that :D

The inline 6 and sm465 are "normal" length installs, but the 205 is longer than the Cruiser case. You may find you need to reverse the rear springs to move the axle back 3.5" for driveshaft lengths. It will be a very strong setup tho.

or you could get one of those fancy schmancy 80* CV's :D

I don't think we will ever get a motor in the thing. More thought and consideration has us leaning towards a 350. HMMMM....I just don't know. Good motor, know where there are 3 of them, availability of parts good, maybe more power than we need though. Comments... By the way, bought the tranny and t-case today. All looks good there. Now just have to decide on the power house.

I'm a 350 fan....cheap, plentiful, lotsa aftermarket, and an easy swap into a Cruiser with a carb. I've run either a 350 or 305 for over 10 years with no complaints. (or, none that weren't my own fault anyways...heh)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom