Good choice for gas cans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been and will continue to use Scepter's. They're readlily available. I can get new or used from my supplier.

Another vote for the plastic 5 gal cans from Costco. I have carried 4 all over remote Alaska for years on a hitch cargo tray on the back of my Travel trailer. 20+ years ago with my J60 I used the metal jerry cans. These are better in every way.

image.jpg

I didn't hear a lot of good about Scepter fuel cans. I assume they are pretty average so definitely not my preference.

Where have you heard negative reviews about Scepter Military Fuel Cans? Or are you talking about the Scepter fuel cans from Costco?

I picked up a couple wavian nato cans a couple years ago. The cans are great, they do not leak. The spout is so-so, like all carb spouts. Definitely prefer these cans to any of the plastic cans I had in the past.

The shaker siphon is the way to go. No funnels, no pour spouts. And if your carrier is mounted on the driver side of the rear bumper, you may not need to even disengage it. If the reach isn't long enough you can extend the vinyl tubing easily.

Wally world ones on my 80 for the New Years trip. Looked like an alien with little antennas. I may get rotopax or costco ones next

OI003258.jpg

I use Scepter fuel cans. Mine leaked until I got the Scepter cap wrench. Also get the Scepter pour spout and you’ll have no issues filling your gas tank. With those 2 items the cans are almost perfect. The only complaint I have is that the cans will swell a tiny bit when the ambient temperature increases. That’s not a problem, but sometimes I have to wiggle them out of the bumper carrier. All in all, they’re really great.

The cap with vent and pour connector is only on the water cans. The fuel cap is solid. Use the fuel cap for fuel, it’s a superior design. Also the cap wrench is different.
Hello Neighbor,

Is it possible to take a look at yours, before I buy? I would like 10 gallons to store in my garage, as the wife's car constantly is out of gas.

I’m packing to leave for Death Valley but I’ll be back Sunday night. I’ll give you a call next week. There’s nothing special about my Scepter fuel cans but you’re more than welcome to see them

How hard is to open the mount and dump in the car?

Can you carry them inside car for short periods of time?

Another vote for the plastic 5 gal cans from Costco. I have carried 4 all over remote Alaska for years on a hitch cargo tray on the back of my Travel trailer. 20+ years ago with my J60 I used the metal jerry cans. These are better in every way.

View attachment 1811973

How hard is to open the mount and dump in the car?

Can you carry them inside car for short periods of time?
Easy to use. The spout is inside the cap so like this with it out. I carry them inside for short distances like home from filling them before we head out for a trip. Had funny I just noticed these (I have 4) are scepter, made in Canada. Our Costco seems to get them in every spring.

image.jpg

Easy to use. The spout is inside the cap so like this with it out. I carry them inside for short distances like home from filling them before we head out for a trip. Had funny I just noticed these (I have 4) are scepter, made in Canada. Our Costco seems to get them in every spring.

View attachment 1951851
Man i would love 4 of those

Never see them at any of the costco here :(

Just don’t buy any plastic CARB cans that brag about being American owned- the predatious bastards are not paying Americans to produce their third world nanny state trash, just taking your money for garbage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom