Good, cheap paint and body- Maaco Springfield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not Toyota related, but a good local experience so I figured I’d share.

Picked up an old Volkswagen Jetta to use a commuter for school, but it was rough! It only has 69,000 miles on it so I figured it was worth putting a cheap paint job on to make it look decent.

I dropped it off and It was done in a few days. I did zero prep work, and only opted to have them smooth out the rear bumper a little bit because it was all dinged up. I would 100% consider using them for my FJ60, however I’d prob do the bulk of the prep work to fix any little pings and dings.

For around $1k here is what I got. The guys at the shop are total car guys.
64C350DF-81DD-4844-9BA4-F32DA73AA6DB.jpeg
BE5F092C-7DC3-4CB7-B036-59C831FD3F9C.jpeg

tdi ?

I considered a TDI... for about 2 minutes until I found out that the overhead cams are "a wear item". seriously? cams should not need replacing at 40k-60k

I considered a TDI... for about 2 minutes until I found out that the overhead cams are "a wear item". seriously? cams should not need replacing at 40k-60k

I was not aware of that. Nuts! Was that only for the TDI motor?

Good to know, also I got 27 mpg last fill up, but unlike the FJ Cruiser I rarely have to put gas in this thing.

Good to know, also I got 27 mpg last fill up, but unlike the FJ Cruiser I rarely have to put gas in this thing.
27??? My wife’s ‘01 Jetta TDI would get 37 around town...until the auto transmission died at 57,000 miles. Fúck VW. They also tried to tell us that they wouldn’t repaint the car when the clear coat was obviously failing at 30k (20 months later) because “see these ‘tape lines’ under the hood”? Car bought brand new. Never mind the 26 days they took to replace the radio under warranty and called after 7 days to get their loaner back...or the 2 times we went to pick it up for the new radio and something else prevented us from even leaving the lot. “These aren’t your tools?” was my favorite comment...called to pick up the car and there wasn’t even a radio in it yet!

I’ve been told that VW used to pay for mechanic training but didn’t have a mandatory policy to stay with the company for very long, so people would get their certs then go to an independent shop. Not sure if that’s true.

27??? My wife’s ‘01 Jetta TDI would get 37 around town...until the auto transmission died at 57,000 miles. Fúck VW. They also tried to tell us that they wouldn’t repaint the car when the clear coat was obviously failing at 30k (20 months later) because “see these ‘tape lines’ under the hood”? Car bought brand new. Never mind the 26 days they took to replace the radio under warranty and called after 7 days to get their loaner back...or the 2 times we went to pick it up for the new radio and something else prevented us from even leaving the lot. “These aren’t your tools?” was my favorite comment...called to pick up the car and there wasn’t even a radio in it yet!

I’ve been told that VW used to pay for mechanic training but didn’t have a mandatory policy to stay with the company for very long, so people would get their certs then go to an independent shop. Not sure if that’s true.

Dang! Yeah mine is just petrol not diesel. Sucks you had such a terrible experience. For the $2k I have in mine I can't complain haha.

Its been a few months since it was painted, hows the paint holding up ?

Need to repaint the LC, clear coat is coming off.

Looks great still. As long as you aren't expecting perfection it was money well spent. FYI I got the integrated clear and then they shot a thin clear over it all (I don't think this is standard, but you can negotiate). I'd rate it as a 7-8 out of 10 overall, but for what I paid I'd rate it a 9-10. No overspray, very clean, a little debris in the clear, but nice. If you are around Alexandria ever you can check it out, but I have a crazy schedule. I'll try to post up some more photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom