Good areas to cut down wood for firewood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rudy,

You gotta come to our house and teach us how to make our trees grow!

Just climb into your septic, shovel out what you find, and spread it on your trees. Simple deal.

Because on some districts it has to be dead AND down, they don't want people cutting standing dead. Some people think those snags are important for wildlife. :)

If we really want to sequester carbon, we need to bury the trees we cut down or sink them in the ocean or build houses with them or something. Growing lots of trees here just creates more fire hazard to release the carbon again. But instead the gov is spending gazillions of dollars to develop biomass programs so we can burn lots of wood to reduce fuels in the forest. Oh yeah, and reduce our dependency on foreign oil. :)

The more you cut down, the more grows back in its place. The more grows back in its place, the more offset you have.

Not that it matters.

Maybe.

A question though: Why do they say dead/down? Isn't "down" already "dead"? Where do I turn in my suggestion to save the government money by eliminating those extra characters? That's probably worth many thousands of dollars, as may times as they say it nationally... I could buy a 70 with that money...

A friend of mine had a good idea - build a pellet factory in the middle of the Jemez...

A friend of mine had a good idea - build a pellet factory in the middle of the Jemez...

That'd be a fun bunch of environmental permits to try and get...

The old mill in Espanola was supposed to become a pellet plant, by Forest Energies, the company getting so much FS money around Springerville, AZ after the Rodeo-Chediski fire. They have been teasing for the last 2 or 3 years, but haven't really done anything.

After fighting so long to save the big trees, now the GAGs are worried these biomass industries are going to remove all the regeneration from the forests and nothing will be there to grow when the big trees die. Sheesh.

I grew up in Los Alamos and my dad dragged us kids all over the Jemez for firewood. We would get permits from the forest service and they would let us know what areas were open for cutting.

I grew up in Los Alamos and my dad dragged us kids all over the Jemez for firewood. We would get permits from the forest service and they would let us know what areas were open for cutting.

Yep - me too. Unfortunately the Park Service (Dept of Interior, not to be confused with the Forest Service, Dept of Agriculture) doesn't (or didn't) let people cull the dead wood from park land.

Thus the Cerro Grande fire.

Moriarity land office - 505-832-6213 Ty Chasser. For written consent to cut and remove wood from NM Trust land.

Free downed wood with a permit.

They will show you the area to go to and the rules. Only open on Mondays. Call ahead.

G

x2 on NM Trust Land. It's often interspersed with more remote neighborhoods, so it's not as far a drive for some.

The Cibola National Forest sells permits: Sandia occasionally has fuelwood areas, and Mountainair quite often does, as do Grants and Magdalena.

OK, so back to the original topic. If anyone wants to split a permit with me I'm planning to going next month looking for P&J. Thinking Jemez or Cuba.

OK, so back to the original topic. If anyone wants to split a permit with me I'm planning to going next month looking for P&J. Thinking Jemez or Cuba.

I'll be up for a wood cutting trip. Not sure what P&J is...:doh:

Pinion and Juniper...

Ali, when we lived in CO in a 1908 hunting cabin that had a fireplace as the only source of heat (& my wife was preggers through the whole winter) I spent every weekend with my neighbors in the NF gathering the dead and downed for firewood. I think I spent about 75% of my time that winter solely concerned with heating that lobster trap.

...and now for your self-esteem (http://www.myfootprint.org/) :cheers:

6.1 planets

-Mike-

Woohoo! 6.4 planets!

8.8 planets. I guess I'm the best here (so far) at distributing CO2 to the third world, to help their plants grow better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom