Good areas to cut down wood for firewood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Where does one go to cut down firewood and firewood cutting permits? Is this a BLM thing or a Forest Ranger thing?

Where does one go to cut down firewood and firewood cutting permits? Is this a BLM thing or a Forest Ranger thing?

Depends on what kind you want. You can get P&J and pine in the lower Jemez. Permits available at Walatowa. BLM land, almost be definition, doesn't really have much usable firewood.

I think it's typically a Forest Service thing. I've seen cutting areas in the upper Jemez pretty much in the same areas as the Christmas tree cutting areas. I'd call Walatowa like Greg suggested. There's usually a USFS representative there that can answer your question or just look up Santa Fe National Forest That pretty much covers the closest forests where cutting would be permitted.

Cool, thanks for the info. I need LOTS of wood this winter....when I was young, bunch of families used to go out and cut firewood and it'd turn into a cool family gathering. Anyone else use wood for heat on this board?

Ali,

My inlaws live in Cedar Grove (North at the Edgewood exit) and I remember cutting a ton of wood in a section to the south of I-40. I'll try to remember to check with them to see what the conditions were. It may have only been open to certain people living in distinct communities farther out.

G

Ali,

My inlaws live in Cedar Grove (North at the Edgewood exit) and I remember cutting a ton of wood in a section to the south of I-40. I'll try to remember to check with them to see what the conditions were. It may have only been open to certain people living in distinct communities farther out.

G

Cool, let me know what you come up with.

Thanks.

As somebody that just recently converted to Druidism, reformed, I'm shocked you would consider cutting down a helpless, defenseless tree. :eek:

Da'WoodRat

I prefer dead, downed trees (bug free hopefully) for firewood!

As somebody that just recently converted to Druidism, reformed, I'm shocked you would consider cutting down a helpless, defenseless tree. :eek:

Da'WoodRat

Can a reformed Druidian cut up trees that have died from natural causes? Do you need to have some sort of memorial service first?

No memorial service needed. But, we also worship beetles, and they need to eat too. A memorial service would be require should such feeding beetles be tossed onto open flame. Unless they are Asian longhorn beetles, then a party should be thrown instead.

USDA APHIS: Asian Longhorn

Da' Cerambycid Rat

I think burning wood as your primary source of heat substantially increases your 'carbon footprint.' Where is your sense of responsibility to our world and global warming?

Marc

The Santa Fe changed the rules a little bit this year. You can now buy a dead/down permit from any district for any other district. And most of the districts allow cutting dead/down almost anywhere, though thinning areas are preferred. Check with the Cibola, too. Sometimes they have fuel breaks where they have the wood already limbed and bucked into 3-4' pieces. If it was cut green, the bark may not come off pine for a long time, and it (the bark) doesn't burn very well. My preference is for pinon, juniper, or Doug-fir, unless you find a big yellow pine the bark will knock off of.

I think burning wood as your primary source of heat substantially increases your 'carbon footprint.' Where is your sense of responsibility to our world and global warming?

Marc
This is coming from a vehicle that gets 12 mpg? :D

The more you cut down, the more grows back in its place. The more grows back in its place, the more offset you have.

Not that it matters.

Maybe.

A question though: Why do they say dead/down? Isn't "down" already "dead"? Where do I turn in my suggestion to save the government money by eliminating those extra characters? That's probably worth many thousands of dollars, as may times as they say it nationally... I could buy a 70 with that money...

This is coming from a vehicle that gets 12 mpg? :D

13.5 my friend!:flipoff2: I ride the bus to work sometimes. That probably makes my footprint go from size 12 to 11 1/2, right?

The more you cut down, the more grows back in its place. The more grows back in its place, the more offset you have.

Not that it matters.

Maybe.

A question though: Why do they say dead/down? Isn't "down" already "dead"? Where do I turn in my suggestion to save the government money by eliminating those extra characters? That's probably worth many thousands of dollars, as may times as they say it nationally... I could buy a 70 with that money...

Steve,

To answer your question, down is not already dead. I can answer this because I work in the green industry. I sit in conferences for days at a time to learn this. I have had to help quite many trees that have fallen and have lived. There is some truth to cutting down things for more to grow back, but not the more. Taking out the diseased and injured trees is fine but just not the more. The trees I have cut down (a pile the size of a house or two) were diseased and potential liabilty problems.

Ali,

Even you get firewood with pest, the trick is to cover it in clear plastic in summer, let the sun light heat that wood up to kill the bastards.

Jon,

That Asian Longhorn beetle has been a pain, covered in the confernces for the past several years. I agree, a party would be in favor.

Rudy

Rudy -

I have noticed, however, that over the last few decades forests are infringing on meadows. Is it not true that increasing CO2 increases the robustness of flora, increasing usage of CO2? Isn't CO2 the base of the food chain?

Rudy -

I have noticed, however, that over the last few decades forests are infringing on meadows. Is it not true that increasing CO2 increases the robustness of flora, increasing usage of CO2? Isn't CO2 the base of the food chain?

Steve,

Your understanding is true. But this coincides has to what cut down. CO2 works great for many plants, but if some sort of a pine (e.g. ponderosa, pinon.. etc...) that is near by the needles left fallen produce a high nitrogen source. Now even though nitrogen is good for a plant, too much will kill it. This is why many pines (I see a lot of blue spruces) don't have grass growing under it. The soil composition for a plant is many things! I use a high nitrogen fertilelizer to green up a lot of properties I work at, but do not trust to many to put it out. Then you have to think about invasive plants and weeds. If you want I have the lists here. Proper tree care and teaching some idiots that planted things in the wrong place is the best knowledge.

Rudy

Funny thing about this post is I can keep a butt load of burque looking geen and good, but my lawn looks like schit!

Funny thing about this post is I can keep a butt load of burque looking geen and good, but my lawn looks like schit!

The coblers kids have no shoes.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom